GoneMoab 2017 is here

RonapRhys

Adventurer
It's that time of year again where a bunch of us Nissan-types plan our annual get-together in Moab. While it's the premier Nissan gathering, it's open to everyone who's got a capable vehicle.

This year it's scheduled for May 21st through May 26th. We'll be having organized trail runs, which are great ways to learn the capabilities of your vehicles, practice skills, and spend time in some of the most beautiful scenery the area has to offer - all while hanging out with fellow outdoor enthusiasts. During the evenings we'll have different social events going almost every night - ranging from catered meals to a disorganized cookout, along with a raffle that benefits local and national charities.

One thing we've started doing over the last few years is having an actual short overland event. This year it's planned for three days, two nights. More details to come on that.

As I said above, all are welcome. We've been doing this for 16 years so far and it's a great event.

Registration is open. Here's the main site and that'll get you to the registration page, forums, etc.

Hope to see some of you out there!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Update for everyone:

We've up to ~80 rigs signed up with 120 people, plus we know several more that are about to sign up. So far, it's looking like we're going to be having a banner year in terms of attendance. All of the expected states are representing themselves and we've even got some folks making the trek up from Florida!

We do have a few trails that are full - as is the Overland Run. Given the route they're taking, we had a maximum number of rigs that could go and it filled up quickly.

Keep checking out FB pages for key topics on particular sponsors, trail updates, and the like. If you've got any questions, please feel free to reach out to me - I'll be happy to answer them or get you the answers.

Also, if you're thinking about coming, please note that our early bird registration is ending on Jan 14th. Here's a link that should get you to the sign-up page.

As always, we'd love to see all of you there - it's a great event full of great people, plus it's some of the most epic scenery and off-roading in the country.

Last edited:

SursOverland

Observer
This looks awesome, hopefully we can do this next year. Need a little more prep. Are the trail names/colors marked there per whats on the site?

RonapRhys

Adventurer
This looks awesome, hopefully we can do this next year. Need a little more prep. Are the trail names/colors marked there per whats on the site?

You're set for green trails right now, no further mods needed. If you want to step up the blue trails, you could probably do some of the easier ones, but upgrading your armor and having a small lift goes a long way towards making sure you get through them. Plus, this is a great way meet up with other Fronty owners and get an idea of what stuff they do to their rigs. Three of our organizers for the events have Frontys that pretty decked out.

Edit add: I forgot to say that yes, our site does have the trails marked off by color along with suggested requirements for each color. They aren't marked like that at the trail heads as ours is more specific for the Xterra and Frontier, just in our literature. If you have other questions, feel free to post them up here or PM me.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone - you have until the 14th to get in under the Early Bird Registration. If you're thinking about it, now's the time. If you're already registered and have friends thinking about it, feel free to reach out and give them a friendly nudge!

Over the coming weeks I'll be posting up a list of our sponsors, who make this event possible with their support, as well as highlighting specific trails and rigs. This is to help everyone know what the area offers.

Two things I'd like to highlight today for the attendees that we're doing differently than previous events:

New Attendees!

For those people attending the event for the first time, we're working diligently to make sure this is a great event for you. One of the key things that keeps us coming back year after year are the friends we make here. This really is a quality group of people. They go out of their way to make sure people are making it through the trails without damage. If the worst happens and your rig breaks, there's always plenty of people working to make things better. One time we even had pizza delivered to someone who was stuck late into the night.

With that in mind, we want to make sure you have plenty of opportunity to meet everyone - not just the organizers and trail leaders, but all of the others so you feel welcome and part of this community.

Repeat Attendees!

For us repeat attendees, we're working to make the event better for you, too. We've added new trails, worked hard to make sure the schedule gives plenty of variety, has trail leaders selected ahead of time so you don't have to wonder, and we're adding more catered meals and social activities. We're also working on making the Sunday night meet and greet better by improving the registration process and providing better opportunities to chat with folks.

It's our hope that the event is the best that it's been and that it lays the foundation for even better events in the future.

Our Facebook page
Forum
Registration

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone,

I wanted to post up and highlight our current sponsor list and extend our thanks for their continued support of goneMOAB! These are the people and companies that are helping us host our event. All of them have direct ties to off-roading and adventure. Please take the time to visit them, use them as a resource for parts, services, and accessories, and when you’re at the event, thank them for helping us make this possible.

Over the coming weeks I’ll be working on putting together a blurb that goes into more detail about each of them.

Boulder Nissan
Nisstec
Cascadia Vehicle Tents
MaXgear Armor
Rugged Rocks
Hefty Fabworks
Oz4wd
Fat Bob’s Garage
Off Road Gorilla
• Blueberry
Xterra Performance
CJD Racing
InSain Fab
Adventure Tool Company
Lifestyle Offroad
Powertank
Outer Limits Supply
511 Tactical
Trasharoo
Rock Auto
Ironman 4x4
Graveyard Graphics

Also, remember we're down to 4 days left to get in under the Early Bird Registration!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Quick update for everyone now that Early Bird Registration is over:

• As of Monday afternoon, we have 105 rigs signed up, which is pretty much amazing. I'd have to look to be certain, but that's not that far from the number of attendees we had last year.
  • 5 trails are already full - the Overland Event, Tuesday's Strike Ravine and Seven Mile Rim runs, and Wednesday's Elephant Hill and Fins runs.
  • Colorado leads the sign-ups with 35 rigs, followed by California's 13
  • Looks like 5 rigs from Canada, so far (Alberta and British Columbia)
  • 94 of the rigs are Nissans (61 Xterras, 27 Frontiers, 4 Pathfinders, a Patrol, and a Safari)
  • 6 Jeeps of various types (Jeeps, Cherokees, and a Commander)
  • 4 Toyotas (4Runners, a Tacoma, and a Tundra)

All in all, that's pretty amazing for only having the registration window open for just over a month. I want to personally thank everyone who's signed up so far and encourage those who are thinking about it to sign up as well.

If you're wondering, here's a link to the Eventbrite registration site.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone – as part of the build up to this year’s goneMOAB, I want to take the time to highlight the trails we’ll be running and I invite everyone to share their pictures, stories, and thoughts on the different trails as well. It’s always fun to get different perspectives and hear what others remember about the runs we’ve done.

Since this is the overland portion of the world, it's worth noting that this trail will be part of our 2 night overland expedition. While most of this event is more running different trails and coming home each night, many of our attendees want to do more overlanding and expedition-style runs, so we've incorporated that into the last few events. Next year, we hope to do even more of this, so please feel free to give us suggestions for the area. I know that Kokopelli always gets a nod, as does Lockhart (though this is a simple overnighter if not a single day), but there are lots of other trails in the area that can be run.

So, without further ado, I present Elephant Hill, my personal favorite trail. Why does this one rate so high for me? It’s the scenery and the terrain. Starting with a nice little climb (made easier by the NPS for some reason I can’t fathom), this one features some very tight switchbacks – one requiring a three point turn next to a cliff edge. Then a little run across the top of the mesa before dropping down into the grabens (complete with a tight enough switchback that you’re forced to back down a portion of the trail along a nice little drop off).

Once you’re down into the grabens the fun really starts. Each is like a little mini-ecosystem. One portion you’ll be in a nice, lush area full of trees, bushes, and flowers – then a little climb and you drop down into one that’s very desert-like with cryptobiotic soil everywhere and the shoots just starting to pop up.

Along the way there are plenty of fun little climbs and obstacles – take the right lines and they’re all pretty easy, but fun enough that you definitely have to pay attention.

After going through the squeeze, you get to Devil’s Kitchen, where we stop for lunch.

These spires make for a nice spot to enjoy a little food, no?

After that, there’s a bit more trail and then you’ve got a choice of going to Confluence Point (where the Green River joins the Colorado, as viewed from 1,500’ up or so) or the Joint – a large series of cracks in sandstone that you can explore. Either is a good choice, but note that going to the Joint will add about 2 hours or so of extra time to your run thanks to SOB Hill and a much longer walk to explore things.

Confluence Point

The Joint (Adrian, Chris, Kendra and folks – we went exploring and added an extra hour to the day with our shenanigans)

On the way home, you can take a swing by Newspaper Rock to see some very neat petroglyphs.

And lastly, take care to avoid the cows on the way out (technically on the way in, but they’re normally still sleeping or just waking up then). It’s open grazing land out there, so you’ll run into entire herds hanging out on the road.

Like I said early on, feel free to post up your pics, stories, and thoughts on this trail. Look for others trails to be highlighted over the next days, weeks, and months – if you want to see a specific trail, let me know and I’ll see about putting it into the rotation as soon as I can.

PGtroll1

Im really looking forward to running Elephant Hill this year! I was initially put off by the length of drive to and from the trailhead, but after seeing all the photos and footage of last years run I was sold on it! I'd personally love to go see The Joint over the Confluence.

Do you have any photos/write up of Seven Mile?

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I'm glad you decided to run Elephant. Not only is it my personal favorite, but I'm your trail leader that day, too.

It just so happens that I do have pics and enough time to do a write up. SMR is a gorgeous trail. You start with the climb up and out of the Moab fault (where 191 is) and up on top of the mesa. The climb itself isn't too difficult, but you do have a couple of spots where the ledges take a good line - but a stock Xterra or Frontier should make it up with no problems. As you start this climb, you get to see everything spread out below you, with several good spots to stop and take in some superb views. Generally the trail leader will run you over to Uranium Arch, which is a sinkhole arch and kind of cool. It's a great place to stop earlier in the day and climb around. The reason it's a sinkhole arch is that the hole started at the top and then through chemical erosion, managed to push out one side. That makes it really cool because you can walk under it and look up at a hole.

After a quck climb out of that area, you're up on top of the mesa again, driving about. There's a fun obstacle, with an easy bypass, that I call the steps. It's a series of decently tall ledges that require a good line and lots of traction to get up. They're made a bit harder for us due to our wheelbase (and even harder for Frontys).

After that and a higher speed run across the way, you get to Monitor and Merrimac Buttes, which are just really neat. There's a huge sandstone plateau between the two that makes for great photo ops and a lunch stop. After roaming about and eating, everyone heads off to the next obstacles - a tight squeeze, a fun off-camber bit, the horseshoe, and the optional obstacle of Wipe Out Hill.

A view up on one of the buttes:

The squeeze portion looks worse than it is, unless you misjudge. Then you've got major bodywork needed. Off-camber has a high pucker factor, but there's nothing to worry about. The horseshoe is a lot of fun. It's a quick steep climb with a bump near the top that can freak you out. Then you have to turn left while on that incline, run off-camber for a bit, then turn down into it (making it feel worse) and head back down the hill.

Wipe Out Hill is a gnarly obstacle that I don't recommend unless you're locked. When it's run properly, it looks effortless - and I've spotted many a person up it. If you get a bit off the line, are too bouncy, happy with the skinny pedal, etc., it can go sideways very easily. I recommend that anyone who tries this be locked on the rear, at a minimum.

After this, the scenery changes. Prior, you've spent most of the day on slick rock with a brief interlude in the sand. Now it's mostly sand for a bit. After a fun climb down and a few other ledges, you hit some high speed sand areas where you can get going - but beware! The whoop-di-dos come up quickly and can have Very Bad Impacts on your suspension.

Here's that climb down. My rig, prior to many of the mods I've done.

Near the end of the run you end up in a (mostly) dry creek bed. It gets tight at times and you have to be careful about rocks and other obstacles wanting to take your tires out. After a mile or two of that, you turn out on to a dirt road and fly back to 191.

Obligatory scenery pic:

And the we do it every time group photo:

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Everyone,

I wanted to take a quick break from posting up about trails and things to know about the area to highlight one of our sponsors. Steven (or Steve-o) over at Rugged Rocks has been a sponsor of goneMOAB for several years now and his company, Rugged Rocks, is one of the premier aftermarket sources for parts to make our rigs perform that much better. From suspension kits to gears, lockers to engine performance, he's got us covered.

On a personal note, I've purchased from him before and his customer service was top notch. When I had my air lockers installed, there was a broken part inside the rear locker assembly. Steven chased that part all over and, after talking to ARB, he convinced them to pull the part out of one sitting on the shelf and overnight it, saving me extra days without my X.

I'm sure there are many stories of his great service and advice out there, as well (feel free to share, if you'd like).

By the way, if you've not yet registered but are planning on it, we encourage you to sign up. We want to see as many of our old friends, as well as meet new ones, out there that we can!

Cptpackrat

Everyone,

I wanted to take a quick break from posting up about trails and things to know about the area to highlight one of our sponsors. Steven (or Steve-o) over at Rugged Rocks has been a sponsor of goneMOAB for several years now and his company, Rugged Rocks, is one of the premier aftermarket sources for parts to make our rigs perform that much better. From suspension kits to gears, lockers to engine performance, he's got us covered.

On a personal note, I've purchased from him before and his customer service was top notch. When I had my air lockers installed, there was a broken part inside the rear locker assembly. Steven chased that part all over and, after talking to ARB, he convinced them to pull the part out of one sitting on the shelf and overnight it, saving me extra days without my X.

I'm sure there are many stories of his great service and advice out there, as well (feel free to share, if you'd like).

By the way, if you've not yet registered but are planning on it, we encourage you to sign up. We want to see as many of our old friends, as well as meet new ones, out there that we can!

Steven is top notch!!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
While goneMOAB has primarily been an off-roading event for years now, we've started to incorporate overlanding into it as, in all honesty, most Nissans are better at that than strict off-roading.

This year we've stepped it up a notch. It's a 3 day overland trip throughout the Moab area. Here's the route:

• Day One: Elephant Hill to the Confluence. From the Confluence to Lockhart Canyon with camp being in the area of Indian Creek.
  • Day Two: Lockhart Basin to Chicken Corners, Hurrah Pass, to Kane Creek Rd. Kane Creek Rd back into Moab for food/fuel and those that may need to break off Camp in the area of Long Canyon and Pucker Pass.
  • Day Three: Thompson Canyon, Polar Mesa, Onion Creek, Fisher Towers to Dome Plateau. End at Dome Plateau

I've done most of those runs, except Thompson Canyon, Polar Mesa, Onion Creek and Fisher Towers. Absolutely gorgeous scenery and should be a really fun time.

Next year we're thinking of having two separate runs like this - maybe even incorporating Kokopelli into the deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles