D.O.A - 89 Chevy Ambo Build

zuke

Adventurer
Bought this back in October, I've done a fair number of small projects to it already, but just getting around to starting a build thread.

It's an 1989 Chevrolet V3500 4x4 Type I Ambo, had 46,000 miles on it when I bought it.

14711209_10206937654431587_4633362956577326396_o.jpg

14706867_10206937654471588_6795553150785202321_o.jpg

zuke

Adventurer
The first order of business was adding a hitch, as this is going to tow my Rockcrawlers to the trails.

I used 4 inch structural C-Channel, Quarter inch plate, and a Curt Receiver tube to build this;

attachment.php

attachment.php

I re-inforced the factory frame to extended frame (that mounts the rear of the box) with .25 Plate on both the inside and out. Then used three pieces of the C-Channel welded to the bottom of the frame, I ran two 4"x.25" plate straps across the back C-Channels as those will be pulled up by the tongue weight. I towed my TJ with it once so far, and it seems to be holding up well, but I plan on plating in the end of the frame as well, just for some added peace of mind.

Last edited:

zuke

Adventurer
This week, I ripped out the crew bench, and put in a couch/bed...

Crew Bench;

15384440_10207415766944101_5240662207212818416_o.jpg

Couch/Bed;

15591334_10207415766824098_4970243766363808087_o.jpg

The Couch is on Clearance from Sauder right now, and can be purchased for a $227 with free shipping, I can't imagine they have many left though;

http://www.sauder.com/Products/413192_Lincoln_Sofa_Convertible.aspx

After removing the crew bench, I cut 4" into, and 7" down on the rear cabinet so I could get the couch as close to the wall as possible, and make the lower part even with the inner fender cover;

15541009_10207415770024178_120233657725725876_o.jpg

And then put some new aluminum on it to close the cabinet back up;

15625683_10207415770144181_8687351888413335264_o.jpg

Next I built a base to make a platform even with the cabinet and fender top;

15540910_10207415770704195_3275926119968345008_o.jpg

I topped the base with 3/4 Plywood, and screwed the couch down to it, and here we are.

15585457_10207415771504215_7534384361188263581_o.jpg

15540983_10207415836225833_1123391568658988346_o.jpg

Next up is figuring out what I'm doing for flooring...

zuke

Adventurer
That truck looks almost new in the pictures, good find.

Thanks, it was mostly luck, I'd been looking for an Ambo, and a local fire and rescue put it up for sealed bid, I got several calls from friends who knew I was looking to let me know, and I think I was the only bidder!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, that a nice looking rig!

That couch looks huge sitting there and it's taking up a good part of the floor space so I'm wondering, is it going to slide back or fold up any way? Can you access the space underneath for storage?

I don't know what your intended use of this vehicle is going to be, other than towing your rock crawlers. But before you go much further, you might want consider the features I mentioned, because I guarantee you are going to run out of space much sooner than you think.

Good luck, and I'll be following to see where you go with it. :)

zuke

Adventurer
You can access the space underneath, you can flip it back the opposite way and get into the base, that's actually the design of the couch itself, and one of the reasons I chose this one.

I did do a design that would allow it to slide closer to the wall when folded to a couch, but it would have required losing the entire top 8" of the outside cabinet, and would have gained me 4" of floor space (The angle of that shot makes it look worse than it is..). In the end, the way we use it didn't really justify the loss of the outside cabinet space and added complexity and height for the couch platform. I considered a fold up like used in toy haulers too, but this thing is unbelievably comfortable compared to those and most of the Jack Knifes I tried out too.

This rig is actually a huge upgrade for us, we've been using a Dodge 2500 van with a Platform and Mattress for the last 3 years, and before that an E350 setup the same way. The platform in those allowed us too put our "Kitchen" (My wife cooks for our whole group when we wheel, Usually 8 to 15 rigs). We also stored two Easy Ups under there, and a bunch of camp chairs. With both the Vans, the only time we actually spent inside them is when we slept, as the gatherings are very social, and everyone is outside until they go to bed.

In this rig, I'll put an awning on each side so we don't need the Easy Ups, and there is plenty of room in the driver's side cabinets for the stove, grills and tables we carry that make up the kitchen.

patoz

Expedition Leader
OK, it's sounds like you know what you're doing, but I just wanted to point that out in case you had overlooked it and before it was too late to change it.

I'm probably going to use a slide-out slat configuration on the existing bench in mine, that will also raise up for access underneath. I'm still working out the details of how the 'back' will work.

I do all of my cooking outside also, so the 'kitchen' will be very minimal consisting of just a sink, a microwave, and possibly an induction type 'hot plate'.

zuke

Adventurer
I looked at a lot of the Slat configurations folks have done on here, And they look like a pretty smart configuration for maximizing your living space, I thought hard about doing one, but it requires using sectional cushions, which I didn't want to deal with.

I also really thought hard about the Livingston Lounge from from Shop4Seats;

http://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/dinettes/dinette-lounges/livingston-lounge.html

But again I would have had to sacrifice the outside cabinet, and dealt with multiple cushions, Plus I would have lost the floor space all the time, not just when it was in bed mode :), Plus I couldn't find one to test for comfort :(

Ultimately, for my limited time actually spent in the camper, this just seemed the most practical route :)

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
If I can find a ready made couch/bed that will work, I'll probably use it too just to cut down on build time, especially since I'm not making much progress as it is. One thing that is limiting me, is the space to put it is only 6' long exactly. I have a tall external compartment in the right rear corner, and I do not want to sacrifice it for the inside space. It was the backboard storage compartment and is just over 6" tall, so it's perfect for storing anything long like awning poles, flag poles, beach umbrellas, hi-lift jack, shovels, etc.

To me, the outside storage compartments are one of the biggest advantages of using an ambulance as a camper. Most campers this size have very little or no outside storage at all. A lot of people install water tanks, propane cylinders, generators, etc. in their compartments and loose that valuable space, but there simply isn't anywhere else to mount these items. I will be installing a Honda EU3000i generator in one of mine.

In my case, since I'm building a camper trailer out of the rear half of a Type III ambulance, I have removed everything underneath that's not needed, therefore the entire space between the frame rails is free and that's where I plan on mounting my water tanks, etc.

Last edited:

zuke

Adventurer
The 6ft is really limiting, But you coud probably do a Jack Knife couch attached to the top of the crew bench, That was where I was heading before I found this couch, But they tend to be fairly narrow as well when they are only 72" long.

This is the one I looked at

http://www.rvfurniturecenter.com/j341-72-jacknife-sofa-clarkson-chocolate/

But at only 43" wide, it's too tight for my wife and I. Are you the only one in the camper, or do you have another with you?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I'm 63 y/o and single, so the majority of the time it will be just me.

That's one reason I was thinking of a three section slat slide-out configuration similar to this one...

Tri-bed - 05.jpg Tri-bed - 04.jpg

Tri-bed - 03.jpg Tri-bed - 06.jpg

This way I could pull out one section for myself and still have max floor space, or pull out both sections if I had a guest.

I don't remember who's Ambulance this is, but the original bench construction is the same as mine, except for the tall compartment I have in the RR corner.

Last edited:

zuke

Adventurer
That looks like a fairly good configuration, but the bed is awfully tall, I'm assuming yours will be somewhat lower since you don't have the higher compartment? The outer supports being fixed would bother me a little when getting into the storage compartments, but that's a pretty minor concern.

.5's window on that side looks relatively low, too, so when you design the back of the couch configuration, that's going to be a pretty big consideration...

Coachgeo

Explorer
one advantage to an Ambulance as a camper is the Ambo Box is likely to be considered "passenger compatible" area. Technically many motorhomes etc. are not though they are used as if they are. Keeping it nicely passenger safety friendly is something to keep in mind. Tis one advantage of seats from vans etc that are designed to have seat belts or even lap-n-shoulder belts as part of the set up. Allows for better protection of loved ones, friends and Friendemies back there and should pass muster for the legal side of passengers riding back there if it came to an insurance claim. Might be a bit of a legal battle but certainly puts you at an advantage over other camper boxes.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I do have a compartment between the tall one in the corner and the wheel well, but it fits completely under the lower level of the bench compartment.

I thought the same thing about the bed 'legs', but I believe they could be attached with hinges and folding table leaf supports, so they could be moved out of the way when the top is opened, or even folded flat against the bottom of the bed platform before it's closed for storage.

Yes, my side window is low, and so is the cabinet above it with it's thick padding on the bottom. I'm 6'1" and when I sit on the bench with it's existing ambulance pad, my head just does hit the pad above, so it's got to go for sure. I may replace that pad with a much smaller and thinner pad on just the outer edge. Since mine is a trailer no one will be in it when it's moving, so big head banger pads aren't really needed.

As far as the window opening, I thought about using pads that were shaped like the old style truck bench seats that don't, have removable headrest. The area in between the molded in 'head rest' would be the area under the window. This would work fine until it came time to convert it into the bed, and there would be gaps along that edge.

If there was a perfect solution, I would have it done already, but this is not a high priority right now and I've got a ways to go before I get to this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles