Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: The OFFICIAL THREAD Vermont Overland Rally, Sept 28-Oct 1, 2017!

Great stuff.

Made my day guys. Sincere thanks to you all.

Still probably my favorite event.
    Brought a couple newcomers this year, and they’re hoping to come back next year!

We smoked the clutch on the Little justy, and one of the Land cruisers’ alternators started getting temperamental, but Stuped Hillbilly 4x4 will be back!

75 Land Rover 101 Forward Control GS (in progress)
    06 Nissan Xterra "Off Road" (daily driver)
    71 VW Superbeetle/Land Rover Disco I hybrid mutant thingamabob
    Resident Stuped Hillbilly...
    http://www.stupedhillbilly.com

Most of the mud has been washed out/off the jeep. It was a little sad to do actually. After peeling back the layers of Vermont's earthy goodness the black hardtop and paint revealed a thousand tiny lines, battle scars, laughs and smiles from the underbrush and a great weekend with great people. The fridges have been emptied of the bent hill beer, various cider's and local food we brought back but all we keep talking about is how much fun we had on our 2300 mile road trip to VOR and beyond.

Just want to say a huge Thank You to the entire crew that put on VOR. As first timers we were pretty nervous not knowing anything really about the event or anyone going. I'll be honest there was more than one discussion on the drive up that if it sucked we could bail and camp our way back south. Being that it was 10 states and 1000 miles one way from home we didn't know what to expect but kept an open mind. From the moment we registered from the kids working the check in table to finding a spot everyone was a class act and stupid friendly. Even the dogs were awesome!

We set up camp to the right side of the property on what we called the ski slope. It was fun to watch the occasional drive by of a classic rover or mog chug it's way up the hill. As we started setting up people would stop and say hi, ask about the weird tent trailer. Everything from the opening to the last night was awesome. The food, the beer, the people, the beer, the area, the beer - all were just top notch. I hate rainy weather but Saturday, exploring on our own in a steady drizzle mapping our way from place to place was the most fun I've had in awhile. For anyone that thinks this gathering is about beating the **** out of your vehicle VOT style - it's not. I'm sure it can be, Vermont offers up the chance to test the limits of your truck, jeep etc and it's just a map route away but this was so much more. To be honest we spent more time on greens and a couple of blues than anything and our jeep is decently built yet I don't consider it a lost opportunity at all. We found amazing sites and views, to die for food and friendly locals ready to share a story about their area. This was the only vacay in the last ten years that I've gained weight! We talked to a couple who run a general store, a guy from nova scotia that runs an logging company etc all proud and eager to talk about the area. Even met a guy that spent time in Nc as a child and had an affinity for a local soda called Cheerwine which he can't get so we are sending him a 12 pack out this week lol. The collection of different vehicles was great, definitely no clique like some events where all the jeeps or toyota's only hang with each other, where rover's all leak together. J/K...We also really enjoyed our side trip to New Hampshire. The camping was great, the white mountain natl forest was beautiful and the Mt Washington auto road/MWOBS was frightening but really educational.

And sorry for those that we met, I am absolute **** with names. IIRC we camped next to Corey and his fiancé, I think her name was Diane who had a really nice 100 series. We also did some riding with Ron and John and a couple of other guys with a red/maroon Jeep Grand Cherokee with a RTT that received some of Vermont's finest natural pin-striping. Hope some of it buffed out for you!! Also met Steve and some guys from Ma, another JKUR owner who needed some gas for his lantern camped a car or two down from us. He had a NH or MA tag IIRC that was "overlnd" Everyone we met was super friendly and we hope we see you all again next year.

Thanks again to Peter and the entire VOR crew. It was a great trip and if we could buy a spot for next year right now we would have already done it.
    2017 Camping trailer (overpriced beer transportation device)
    2016 JKUR
    2015 JKUR

We've officially moved our public discussion to FB. Check us out here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1490...tab=discussion. Thx and see you there!
    Peter Vollers
    www.vermontoverland.com

"I'm not saying I'm in post-VOT withdrawal, but I'm sitting in my driveway on a camp chair with a clipboard judging my neighbor cutting his grass on his rider mower." Steve Ostrovitz

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233