LR3 Tire Size to prevent rubbing

sevans46

New to the forum so this question has probably been discussed but I recently bought a '08 LR3 HSE that came with BFG AT LT285/65R18 which rubs slightly when turning sharp either direction. I bought a set of Terrafirma wheel spacers (30mm) thinking that would solve my problem. I like the wider stance but it only made the tire rub worse. What is the optimal tire size for the LR3 with no rubbing?

GORM

Adventurer
You may need to consider a lift. Look at JOHNSON rods or Rhino rods. You'll need an alignment done to save tire wear but this will likely help. These are inexpensive. I have 265/65r18 and have zero rubbing. You're simply at the edge.

iowalr4

Adventurer
265/65R18 may rub a little depends on tire. Will require removing spare wheel heat shield and slight deflation to wedge it in there.
265/60R18 wont rub and will fit in the spare tire location.

I really dislike recommending overpriced lift rods to people, as I think its bad for the suspension to run lifted all the time, cvs, air struts, etc. I just posted on another forum about the same thing. Please research before buying into the marketing of those rods. I bought them years ago before I knew any better, what a waste. I have an IID tool now and I still won't lift it at all. Unless you really need to for actual off road situation, I don't see the point. Why stress suspension components for looks. (But to each their own I guess)

unseenone

Explorer
I've been running 285x60x18 with good luck. I've now switched back to 265x60x18 to improve mileage and cut down on potential hydroplaning. Previous Terra Grappler, current BFG k02, which run slightly quieter, probably won't last as long but should be better in mud and snow. No real rubbing with either, I did relocated the sensor wires on the front though.

morrisdl

Adventurer
The biggest you can go at stock height without rubbing is 275/65r18. Im on my 3rd set of goodyear duratracs. Two minor mods to facilitate this: I zip tied the left (driver) front ride height sensor wire from the outside of the frame to the top of frame rail. If you have 3rd row heat, there are two coolant hoses in the right rear fender liner directly in front of the wheel. I peeled back the liner, flattened the body seam with a large rubber mallet, and tucked the hose in the body gap. Heat gun to reshape the small bulge of fender liner to flat. I didnt have to remove any wheels or disconnect any coolant lines - only take an about hour for bigger wheels without the additional height side effects.

mMUTysnkx7NwkFZvP_IeFDIWXzC-KJszJB8PU11yXjVgtafMEEKtAa2K5Ma2ExLU1A65iVcYSUIjw-MOLCYB4uVdeRDUwNedjByMKDTDy632vY-I_iz1BZltjDteSb4QsYVabDmDztiNrw6asVbdf2RpWxUNwh_V2mYSnRSJgsS9b8PVwIAtJ6-H6wue7OM5iImRsF4kqh5y_Xbi2AyaYbFt0SQeQ07v8i8IKjgu7Rfcxzt49kjK9Sklo7tE6KW7vEUxO0GG3Fz0h1TLpYA_mP588XXFWCJHRULdUB7NOzNhl4sK7kAlL73rBWTiXdeqr88pMBEphud00cf4JBGDdmCJDkgd91IOZ3PTbOdWpmu5dEUTwVwiXVG2rup-57kaidO6YMAFMLBYs9Q7t1Y5wd6pQpb2dtUDGq3TGiTKmS_xoespnONnPv109RdGCzjjY-WU2T0rJPHww2vh7MQvYhY-1hdJRsf9KZWCEpEzTB4fr0d25s9c4QYXwKIGMOWa94UeEwNQpOFhu2fhbvwTEMsE1iOQaBiY2KXX78s03rKLqJVsTI9lPMxEfDPmQDBB9HOiLAgK2QxzhV742OjX10CP4e7_Iy6LC50bRUl9f2790nliF3GRIuYWHJgVwmSyKdJSHLsRtgo1hhmq6FPHBk_fjBlOr308TGUvXkWLLX0=w1150-h689-no-tmp.jpg

sevans46

Gents, I appreciate all the feedback. This is my first LR3 so I am learning as I go here. I've had a Series and RRC in the past so this is the most modern LR I've owned. I took the LR3 off-roading to the Uwharrie a few weeks ago and it performed flawlessly! It actually changed my opinion about these vehicles (Discoveries). The tires didn't rub while I was wheeling, only when I back out of my driveway or a tight parking spot. After reading all the responses, it appears I just need to reduce the tire size a bit and it should fix my problem. I'm not sure about lifting the vehicle with rods yet. The air struts were just replaced prior to me buying the vehicle so I'll probably just go with that until they need replaced again and then convert to springs. It appears I need to get smart with a Gap diagnostic tool.

keeper1616

Observer
Dumb question alert:
Does anyone know if this applies to the LR4 as well? or is this one of the things they've changed?

(specific to the tire clearance. I know 18" wheels are an issue)

morrisdl

Adventurer
The size you have on there is 32.5" diameter. Your much BIGGER problem would be that if you had an air suspension fault, you would not be able to drive on the bumpstops. GAP tool is pretty much a must have!

Eniam17

Adventurer
Have any of the mods thought of doing a read this first sticky or closing threads that don't need to be started - I don't mean to give the op a hard time but the amount of lr3 /4 tire and wheel threads is getting old. If I'm off base tell me, but.....

ColoDisco

Explorer
I found it necessary to trim my LF fender liner at the forward most inner edge. It was rubbing. Have yet to pound out the body seam in back but have seen some rub marks.

rlynch356

Defyota
I run 275/65-18 BFG KO2's there is a slight rub when turned fully over.... Easy to fix is just to use a heat gun and push out the fender liner - This is with a Rhino rod lift (and soon to have SYA kit)

colb45

Observer
Have any of the mods thought of doing a read this first sticky or closing threads that don't need to be started - I don't mean to give the op a hard time but the amount of lr3 /4 tire and wheel threads is getting old. If I'm off base tell me, but.....

Sticky would be nice, but also a little research would show multiple threads. Must be tire season or something :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles