Looking for the right overland vehicle and set up for me. Keepin' it cheap

uncompromise

Adventurer
I've been in a similar enquiry for the past nine months. As an Australian, now based in San Francisco, I lament the lack of availability of the Landcruiser 70's I'm used to driving back home. So while I don't have an opinion on US rigs, I can substantiate the concerns about availability of parts and mechanics with the necessary know-how outside of the US. I've driven all over the world, and have found that Toyota, Mitsubishi and Mercedes are likely to be the most common vehicles you will find wherever you go.

Because I'm considering similar applications to you, I've been thinking about fuel-type, cost, and range, living in vs living beside, security and transportability of the vehicle, given that there are a number of overseas crossings required to drive around the world.

I haven't landed on a definitive answer as yet - like you, I've been in deep research - but am leaning towards the Mitsubish Fuso FG 4x4 as the base, with a service body and an Alaskan Camper (or similar slide in hard-sided pop up truck camper) for the body. Alternatively, a modded lockable walk-in service body for absolute security.

I've found a few references that might be useful for you:
- Exploring Planet Earth in a Vehicle
- The Ten Best Used Vehicles for Exploring the World
- Overland Campervans and How to Choose One
- Stephen Stewart (personal site for a highly experienced global vehicle traveller)

I'm looking forward to tracking your ongoing exploration.

Any AstroSafari GMC/Chevy. Easy build outs and cheap to pick up these days. Driveline swaps with S-10 for the Hi/Low transfer case is a bolt in. 4/6" lifts are very common on these. AstroSafari dot com has a ton of info for these builds. I am using a Bend Native who really knows his stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94