Looking for the right overland vehicle and set up for me. Keepin' it cheap

redsoxfan1001

So after doing the U.S. including Alaska and Canada for 6 months of travel in a honda my girl friend and I are done with sleeping in a Honda for extended travel lol. Needless to say, we're planning a trip from the U.S. to Central America --> cargo ship to south america cargo ship to --> asia then travel from there through asia and europe. A big one to tackle so I need the expertise of you mad men in here that I've wasted so many hours of research reading your words.

So at first I was thinking a truck with a truck camper because of this being such a long duration trip and having dogs we wanted a bathroom/shower capability. We've ruled against this.

Now we're thinking of a truck/suv set up. Tight for space yes but it just needs to "get the job done".

This is what we want:

-vehicle has to have 4x4 capabilities
-possibility of a vehicle that while stock costs less than $10k (cheaper the better)
-a cassette toilet/shower (sit down) that we'll probably rip out of a old truck camper
-reliable
-used flip-pac tent.
-decent bed space

So after reading countless articles and forum posts on here these are the vehicles ive came down too.

Toyota Tacoma pro: reliability, easy to find parts and build con: price

Toyota Pickup pro: cheap and reliable con: limited bed space

Mitsubishi Montero pro: Cheap, decent size. con: hard to find reliability quotes from anyone

Toyota 4runner pro: decent price, decent size. con: not really sure how the space compares to the trucks

If I go with the SUV set up everything back of the front seat will be ripped out to make room for extremely small kitchen and toilet set up as mentioned.

I'm open to suggestions and don't leave for about 2 1/2 years so hit me with what you guys got. I have a lot to learn still with a trip of this magnitude, thank much is sure.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Any reason you excluded a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) or maybe a Nissan Xterra? XJs are relatively old considering the last year they were made was in 2001, but they still offer a great platform and there are still plenty of clean, low milage vehicles on the market for around $4k-$8k.

If it were me, I would narrow down the selection to a Tacoma or 4Runner. Both have excellent aftermarket support and easy availability of replacement parts. Plus it's hard to beat Toyota reliability. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your other selections, this is just my opinion.

redsoxfan1001

Honestly I have zero good reason why I havent. Xterra I think is a little smaller then the ones ive mentioned, and im in a battle of inches here. I'll do some research on those...

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I see all Yotas and what not listed.. Why not Ford/Chevy/Dodge. For the budget you are working with you will get more bang for your buck with an American pickup. More capacity (hauling, seating,space). You may even find an older pickup well cared for and toss a pop up truck camper. Way more comfort and amenities then a flip pac.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
awd van? Toyota has a few awd models, ford has an awd astro option, and chevy has a couple of options both mid size and full size, not true 4x4 with any of them, but capable none the less. more about driver as you know using a civic and obviously going where you needed without getting in too much trouble... im sure theres more im not thinking of.

also a lot of guys are using a rwd full size ford van with a lsd and getting into lots of remote places without fail. lots of real estate in a full sized van. ive seen quite a few people get into 95ish rwd sportsmobiles for 5k and under. just like a westy with a poptop but in a full sized van. you can get the high top conversion vans of the same era for 1500 all day on cl. many have 4 captain chairs and a fold down bench that can easily be converted to a bed. ford parts are everywhere.

Isuzu trooper or passport? ford explorer/ranger w/shell? chevy blazer/s10 w/shell?

not knocking Toyota at all. great rigs, but they hold their value like crazy. I had a 88 sr5 for 18 years and it was a great truck. we just outgrew it :(

Patrollife

Explorer
If you are planning for international expo I would stick to Toyota or Nissan. Spare parts for lesser common vehicles, such as Chevy, Jeep or Ford, will be more expensive and harder to find. In Guatemala, US-brands are considered luxury vehicles so you will pay a premium for their service and spare parts. If you intend to travel outside of major urban areas you will likely have to travel back to the urban area to pick up the parts or pay someone to bring it to you. Further, what are the odds that you will find a decent mechanic in the altiplano who has worked on Toyotas all his life to now solve your mechanical issues on a Chevy Blazer without construing up some short-term fix that could potentially create longer-term damage to your vehicle and pocketbook. This said, I do come across overlanders who are making their journey (or have completed it) in a Ford F250 with a camper and have had no problems. I've also come across Chevy vans and the occasional hippie Westphalia, and do fine, but I'm sure they will tell you that the service and spare parts are the challenge.

My recommendation: stick to Toyota or Nissan. Everyone will argue their point so choose the best option for you. You're doing right by asking ahead of time.

Cheers and good luck.

offthepath

Adventurer
Monteros would be a great choice as a cheaper alternative to Toyota and are very common everywhere other than North America.

I have an '03 Montero with 100k miles as my personal car and a '15 Xterra with 25k miles for work. Even with the 13 year difference and 75k miles I would never consider taking the Xterra on the trip you are describing if I had to chose between the two. The Montero is a much better and more solid vehicle in my opinion.

I'd say Toyota or Mitsubishi.

donaldcon

Adventurer
I think a Toyota 4 runner is a good base.

For.your price you can probably find a early 2000s with traction control and that with some tires will take you alot of places you'd never dream.

I like montero but for a guy just getting into it the buy and bolt.on factor of a yota makes more sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
international, Asia, I'm sure yo'd be best off with a Toyota. And you better check the foreign regs in asian nations about bringing your dogs.

mtnkid85

Adventurer
That fact your wanting a kitchen and toilet tells me your needing something larger than a 4runner,XJ or any other midsize SUV.
The main and maybe only issue with the Toyota Tacoma is your going to pay a premium for the name, its ridiculous how well they hold there value. But 10k if your diligent should get you a decent base rig with enough left over to go through and clean up any matienence issues. Something with a factory elocker and good tires will get you in and out of most any place.

goatherder

no trepidation
+1 On the Jeep XJ. Very popular in the Americas; they made like 2,000,000+ of these things. Big enthusiast following, which means tons of repair, maintenance and DIY info on the web. Parts are cheap and readily available. Get a good one and do a few mods and you'll have a cheap, damn reliable vehicle. 1998's and 1999's are what you want. Add a rooftop tent and you'd be good to go.

Look on Cherokee Forum

FJOE

Regular Dude
The Pajero is just as common abroad as the Hilux, from what I have personally observed. Where I currently am, I thought there was going to be tons of Hiluxes and LandCruisers. Turns out its all Isuzu D-Max's and Pajeros. You'd be fine with a Montero. Just make sure it's sound before you leave, and you'll be fine. Take some parts that it may be harder to get abroad. Fluids you can find just about anywhere. But stupid things like filters and spare bulbs can be pricey. You would be surprised what a pair of Wal-Mart brand wiper blades can get you in trade in some places. Pull out some cheap Auto-Zone brand accessory light bulbs, and you might find yourself swimming in local beers!

redsoxfan1001

as of right now im actually thinking of a 1st gen Tacoma, extended cab LB 4wd and creating my own camper. Im sure my idea will change in a couple weeks. Feel like ive soaked up so much info since posting this original thread lol. Think a portapotty w/ a outdoor shower that's collapsible set up inside, with waterproofing and drainage, with a extremely small kitchen could be set up. Trying to go for a Palomino Bronco 800 set up but with more flexibility with compartments.

Thoughts stemming from this?

redsoxfan1001

international, Asia, I'm sure yo'd be best off with a Toyota. And you better check the foreign regs in asian nations about bringing your dogs.
Yea its kinda the basics with vaccinations, chip, no balls, you know haha. Only have Brazil Ecuador and Venezuela on the South American side to worry about with pit bull legistlation.

redsoxfan1001

The Pajero is just as common abroad as the Hilux, from what I have personally observed. Where I currently am, I thought there was going to be tons of Hiluxes and LandCruisers. Turns out its all Isuzu D-Max's and Pajeros. You'd be fine with a Montero. Just make sure it's sound before you leave, and you'll be fine. Take some parts that it may be harder to get abroad. Fluids you can find just about anywhere. But stupid things like filters and spare bulbs can be pricey. You would be surprised what a pair of Wal-Mart brand wiper blades can get you in trade in some places. Pull out some cheap Auto-Zone brand accessory light bulbs, and you might find yourself swimming in local beers!

I'm going to be stocked better than autozone with lights just because of that suggestion ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier