XP Camper V1 , Experience, thoughts???

rea9390

Narrowed my search for an overland camper to the XP Camper V1, flatbed to go on a one ton PU. Was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with this relatively rare camper set up. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I don't have experience with one so I'll share thoughts - :)

My wife and I have looked at a lot of campers - showrooms, couple of overland expos, people we meet on the road, etc.

And the V1's we've seen and been in have always impressed us and we'd love to try one out. Aesthetically they're marvelous and a nice place to spend some relaxation time. The company seems like it's trying to produce a top quality product and be innovative.

It does seem, however, that they go up for sale soon after purchase a fair bit, after folks have invested well over $100k into their new rigs and then taken them out a few times. I find that interesting - perhaps life with a very expensive soft sided popup camper is not what most people imagine. I'm thinking comfort wise.

Lack of insulation, both temperature and sound, possible condensation and mold issues, no A/C - these things would probably bother me at this price point. Having spent a year full time in a hard sided truck camper (Bigfoot), and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd hate to spend a bunch more $ and downgrade my overall comfort level.

Just throwing thoughts out - they seem like an amazing rig for the right people and the right conditions, who have fully thought through the possible drawbacks of soft side campers and aren't going to be surprised by life with them.

We've owned ours for three years and have no desire to sell it. My wife and I plan on selling everything and moving into it full time in a few years. Quality is top notch. I've had no problems with condensation or insulation or heating it. I've never set the heater past half way and know of other owners who've lived in theirs in ski resort parking lots all winter. I would not hesitate to buy one again.

It truly is a great camper but I've had a few problems, nothing major. It is a complicated machine. The electrical system alone is more complicated than the one in my house as it has to be able to switch between solar/battery power and shore power automatically. It has a fresh water system with a 12v pump. If you leave a faucet open with the pump off, it sometimes will create a vapor lock that takes a bit of work to get it to flow again (sucking on a faucet works well). It has a separate grey water system with a pump and a wet shower/toilet system. It has diesel appliances that port externally.

It is powerful. The lifting/lowering hydraulic pumps will carry a one ton snow load if I remember correctly. The previous owner lowered the camper with a door open and it tore the door off. It will crush anything that is left on the counter top when the roof comes down. Any issues I've encountered have been handled with absolutely stellar customer service. Marc sent a new rear window to South America within a days when Song of the Road had theirs break on a beach somewhere.

I suspect the few that have come up for sale on the resale market are mostly due to life changes causing them to rethink the investment. Additionally, the complicated systems and sheer power of the beast can be a bit intimidating at times. If I rely on this machine for permanent or semi-permanent travel, will I be able to manage it in the middle of no where? Perhaps a simpler option is better for some. That's not meant as a criticism of anyone, the XP Camper is a significant monetary and life investment.

rea9390

Thanks for the insights. I really want to keep the weight and profile as low as possible while still having a wet bath inside. I also like the extra storage that comes with the flat bed as manufactured by XP Camper.

I've owned a V-1 mounted on a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 i top out with full gear a full 62 gallon diesel tank and 75 gallons of water at just under 14,000 lbs with my added suspension I feel great on the road on any road we are currently in CR after running the PA highway from Alaska down shoot for a 25-3500 chassis if possible you will need it I feel my XP is the best there is I've seen guiet a few out there in 1 1/2 yrs on the road

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
We've been researching them for months, and will finally get to see them in person next week when we make the trip to the factory. I already have my eye on a truck, a 2007 Dodge 3500 so it can run on S. America diesel as our plan is like the Roaming Robertson's, to live it it full-time and travel. Yes, a built 1-ton truck and the camper is a huge investment, but it will be a rig like no other, and will go where only a few other vehicles can go with the comforts it has. I've only corresponded with one owner that wasn't in love with the camper. And I suspect the ones you've seen for sale is due to life-changes, not with issues with the camper. It's pretty easy to search the web for owner blogs about their travels, and you should read every post on the XPCamper Forum. You'll also find most of the owners posting there.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
It's good to hear from actual long term owners who are happy with their V1's, I had been surprised to see so many barely used ones for sale in the last year or two.

I can add another endorsement for the V1. We've had ours for about 3 years and love it. We went through a variety of travel/RV combinations before biting the bullet and getting the XP. From a Jeep and off-road trailer (love them and still use them) to a 37' fifth wheel (loved being in it but hated pulling it) and a couple in between we find the XPV1 to be a perfect fit.

Our fifth wheel was beautiful. It was wonderful to be in and a deal for the comfort and luxury you get for the money. But we sold it right after we got it because we found it too stressful to drive around. Sometimes you have to try a few things out before you find what works for you, so in addition to life changes the wrong fit may be a factor in the two recent sales of near new V1's. They're wonderful but they aren't for everyone.

So far our longest trip has only been 5 weeks, but I can say the capacities in the V1 make it easy to find remote/dispursed sites for 5 or 6 nights then a campground for a night to refill and do laundry etc. If you have settled on this size setup I don't think you will regret the V1.

The last thing I'll add is that we can highly recommend XP's ethics and product backing. Definitely take a factory tour if you have the opportunity and meet Marc and Toni. They have fixed several minor things for us that most camper/RV manufacturers would not have. It's an RV bouncing down dirt roads so things do break on occasion, but if you've ever experienced the "service" at a traditional RV dealer you'll be in for a pleasant surprise at XP. When we've been there getting one small thing fixed they often see something they've changed in the newer builds and will brings ours up to current standards. Great people and a quality product.

adam88

Explorer
I've spoken to some of the V1 people who have sold their campers right away (or very quickly after buying). I think in many of these cases it isn't buyer's remorse, but rather, the human condition to change one's mind. The V1 takes several months, or even up to a year, to be built when ordering it. A lot changes in that time span. Also, the hunt is often more exciting than the kill for many people. Dropping $160,000 on a truck and XP Camper sounds romantic but it's a lot of money. Then you get it, drive it off into the remote wilderness and spend a few weeks in it and maybe realize you don't need something so hardcore, and would rather use that money for something else. That's the impression I've gotten. It has very little to do with the camper, although I will say, everyone I spoke to did complain about at least one or two small things on the camper but nothing major.

We went from a FWC Eagle (shell) on a 1998 Tacoma, to an 8 foot Outfitter Caribou on a 2005 Tundra, to an XP V1 on an F350. We've only had the XP for 6 months so it isn't possible to provide a long term review, but we really like the V1. As Roaming Robertson wrote above, it is a complicated machine. I've wondered if some of the people who buy it and are "entry level" in the truck camper world find it a little intimidating. (Purely speculation.) Its become apparent to us that many people (most?) who have a V1 NEVER take it off their truck. That's kind of a shame, because a 1-ton flatbed truck is a handy thing to have available, and the XP mounting system is clever and stout.

Our camper was not perfect, we had a few issues, some of which were XP's responsibility and one of which was my own mistake. But I learned that Marc stands behind the product and doesn't hesitate to use Priority or Express Mail if needed. I look forward to providing a long-term review in about 5 or 7 years.

Here's a photo showing what our F350 does to keep busy when we're not hauling the V1. Love the flatbed -- great storage for load binders, tire chains, tow straps, etc when you're not camping. I'd be happy to answer any questions or provide a tour of the V1 if you're in our area (southern Colorado) or if we cross paths.

20160205_144752.jpg

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I think some people do their "trip of a lifetime" then no longer have a need for the camper. Just speculation :)

Runt

Adventurer
Ispent a lot of time thinking aboyt an XP before i went my route. My thoughts are they are the nicest pop up camper available. All manufacturers have minor issues. XP is the most complicated which has its pro's and con's. Having said that you can out fit a Toyota Tundra with a Phoenix Pop up that has many similar features for half the costime, which is what I did. Rolled it into CBI offroad on way back from Phoenix Pop up Campers and we installed bumpers front & rear. Got it home and added, lights, 12,000 lb winch, Radflow mid travel suspension, air bags and custom leafs and sliders. Threw on some new wheels and 35's. I have slightly less then $ 55,000.00 Cad into my set up as it sits now. Truck was used with 10, 000 km, camper was new. Start to finish was 2 months. Investigated the flat deck option and it added another $ 8,000.00. Decided against it due to added weight. Tundra is maxed as is.....any thing other then a Toyota was not an option. However my set up is no XP V1. I think it comes down to the price and finish. Seems that if you can justify the price for the best in class fit and finish you be no happier the a XP V1. Just my thoughts.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Buying a camper is quite literally buying a house (on wheels), so we are all going to have different style preferences, feature requirements, and budgets.

Personally I find the products offered by XP Camper and Earthcruiser to be a good fit for me. I know and respect the owners of the companies, like their philosophies when it comes to building vehicles, and would be comfortable trusting either of them to sort out any issues post-build.

This isn't to say that other companies don't do a great job, there are plenty of successful overland vehicle companies with happy customers out there. Only you can figure out what works best for you. For instance, if I won the lottery I would look seriously at a GXV - but they are sadly not a fit for my current budget.

Ronski

Ispent a lot of time thinking aboyt an XP before i went my route. My thoughts are they are the nicest pop up camper available. All manufacturers have minor issues. XP is the most complicated which has its pro's and con's. Having said that you can out fit a Toyota Tundra with a Phoenix Pop up that has many similar features for half the costime, which is what I did. Rolled it into CBI offroad on way back from Phoenix Pop up Campers and we installed bumpers front & rear. Got it home and added, lights, 12,000 lb winch, Radflow mid travel suspension, air bags and custom leafs and sliders. Threw on some new wheels and 35's. I have slightly less then $ 55,000.00 Cad into my set up as it sits now. Truck was used with 10, 000 km, camper was new. Start to finish was 2 months. Investigated the flat deck option and it added another $ 8,000.00. Decided against it due to added weight. Tundra is maxed as is.....any thing other then a Toyota was not an option. However my set up is no XP V1. I think it comes down to the price and finish. Seems that if you can justify the price for the best in class fit and finish you be no happier the a XP V1. Just my thoughts.

I'm curious about the "any thing other than a Toyota was not an option" comment. For example the F150
Can easily match or exceed the Tundra for payload. With the optional Payload Package it will have a payload hundreds of pounds higher. Sounds like you have a very capable rig however! Enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier