XP Camper V1 , Experience, thoughts???

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Ispent a lot of time thinking aboyt an XP before i went my route. My thoughts are they are the nicest pop up camper available. All manufacturers have minor issues. XP is the most complicated which has its pro's and con's. Having said that you can out fit a Toyota Tundra with a Phoenix Pop up that has many similar features for half the costime, which is what I did. Rolled it into CBI offroad on way back from Phoenix Pop up Campers and we installed bumpers front & rear. Got it home and added, lights, 12,000 lb winch, Radflow mid travel suspension, air bags and custom leafs and sliders. Threw on some new wheels and 35's. I have slightly less then $ 55,000.00 Cad into my set up as it sits now. Truck was used with 10, 000 km, camper was new. Start to finish was 2 months. Investigated the flat deck option and it added another $ 8,000.00. Decided against it due to added weight. Tundra is maxed as is.....any thing other then a Toyota was not an option. However my set up is no XP V1. I think it comes down to the price and finish. Seems that if you can justify the price for the best in class fit and finish you be no happier the a XP V1. Just my thoughts.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? Would love to see the camper and how was your experience?
Jack

rea9390

Well it's done. I ordered an XPCamper V1 and now the wait begins. Spent a year looking at options and reading online for hours and hours and now I can't wait to get the camper. Looking at a 10 month wait. I'll have lots of time to find a one ton truck and get the build done before the camper is ready. The build quality, capability and Marc's reputation of supporting the product sold me. Looking forward to meeting other XPCampers and Overlanders in the coming years.

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
Dennis here, aka LDRydr, aka Seeker. :) I believe we're just ahead of you in the XP production queue (wonder what numbers we'll get?). We visited XP the week after Christmas. And as you already know we have a truck ready to go. FYI, it will get converted from a dually to single. Marc and I are working on the truck build options.

2017-01-21 16.11.20.jpg

rea9390

Nice truck. Interested in what the payload is on the older DRWs. I looked it up online and I think it said 4500, is that correct? How much work/money is involved in switching over to super singles? I was leaning toward a new SRW but if I could find the right older DRW might change my mind.

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
Not sure on the actual payload number as it will vary depending on other gear installed (larger fuel tank, bumper, winch, etc.). Marc has a place that makes single wheels with the correct offset to use with the wider DRW rear axle. Then just take off the spacers on the front hubs. That's it, no other cost. He'll make the flatbed the correct width for the axle, and the front gets fender flares and it's a done deal. The tires will be LT295/65R20, load range E, at max load of 4080 lbs. I'm going to go with the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro.

rea9390

HI Dennis, thanks for the info. By payload, I mean your Gross Vehicle weight minus curb weight as listed on your placard on the truck as set by the manufacturer. It's on the engraved placard on the door sill. Going to take a look and see If I can find a nice used DRW! Keep in touch.

gvb1940

I've spoken to some of the V1 people who have sold their campers right away (or very quickly after buying). I think in many of these cases it isn't buyer's remorse, but rather, the human condition to change one's mind. The V1 takes several months, or even up to a year, to be built when ordering it. A lot changes in that time span. Also, the hunt is often more exciting than the kill for many people. Dropping $160,000 on a truck and XP Camper sounds romantic but it's a lot of money. Then you get it, drive it off into the remote wilderness and spend a few weeks in it and maybe realize you don't need something so hardcore, and would rather use that money for something else. That's the impression I've gotten. It has very little to do with the camper, although I will say, everyone I spoke to did complain about at least one or two small things on the camper but nothing major.

I think your assessment is pretty good about people selling their XP's so quickly except I have not seen that many up for sale. Mine is for sale but not because I don't like it. My reason is health issues. My expedition plans have been cancelled but I will still take small trips and the XP is overkill for that. As for small things going wrong....Every build has it's little problems. I had to take my Sportsmobile Sprinter back to Fresno three times. If there is any problem with the XP, Marc and the very talented crew fix it quickley.

Last edited:

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Just wanted to add my $0.02 to this thread. We have had our V1 for about 6 months. Like a few others have mentioned, we had a few issues early on that required a second trip to Grass Valley. However, Marc and his team have stood behind their product and they worked diligently to resolve the issues. It really is a complicated machine and each unit is hand built to order. That leaves a little room for human error, however, part of what is great about the design is that every component is replaceable or serviceable. Any problems can be corrected either in the field or in a shop.

There was a comment earlier in this thread regarding insulation. We recently returned from a winter camping trip which saw overnight temps near 0*F, and we never even had to turn the heater up to the halfway setting. Overnight it was set at about 1/3. The interior stayed very warm and comfortable, and the design of the mechanical systems is such that the heater keeps everything defrosted even while the top is down and you are driving. When there was a combination of cold and humid conditions outside, we did have a fair amount of condensation, but mostly that was restricted to specific spots where a component connects to or penetrates the wall and therefore conducts the cold. I don't think there would have been a way to avoid this. I don't think condensation would be an issue in the dry cold conditions that are more prevalent than wet cold.

Highway driving is remarkably comfortable for an expedition weight vehicle. For us, the combination of size (not too big and not too small) plus offroad capability, plus highway manners, plus interior creature comforts is ideal. It's not the best for highly technical trails. It's not the biggest interior. It's not the cheapest way to travel. But it's an excellent compromise of features that does many things very well. Plus the massive water and battery capacities make extended boondocking easy which suits us since we don't like to camp near others.

gvb1940

Just wanted to add my $0.02 to this thread. We have had our V1 for about 6 months. Like a few others have mentioned, we had a few issues early on that required a second trip to Grass Valley. However, Marc and his team have stood behind their product and they worked diligently to resolve the issues. It really is a complicated machine and each unit is hand built to order. That leaves a little room for human error, however, part of what is great about the design is that every component is replaceable or serviceable. Any problems can be corrected either in the field or in a shop.

There was a comment earlier in this thread regarding insulation. We recently returned from a winter camping trip which saw overnight temps near 0*F, and we never even had to turn the heater up to the halfway setting. Overnight it was set at about 1/3. The interior stayed very warm and comfortable, and the design of the mechanical systems is such that the heater keeps everything defrosted even while the top is down and you are driving. When there was a combination of cold and humid conditions outside, we did have a fair amount of condensation, but mostly that was restricted to specific spots where a component connects to or penetrates the wall and therefore conducts the cold. I don't think there would have been a way to avoid this. I don't think condensation would be an issue in the dry cold conditions that are more prevalent than wet cold.

Highway driving is remarkably comfortable for an expedition weight vehicle. For us, the combination of size (not too big and not too small) plus offroad capability, plus highway manners, plus interior creature comforts is ideal. It's not the best for highly technical trails. It's not the biggest interior. It's not the cheapest way to travel. But it's an excellent compromise of features that does many things very well. Plus the massive water and battery capacities make extended boondocking easy which suits us since we don't like to camp near others.

Thanks for this. Couldn't have said it better myself. We also have the semi hard side panels that go up in the windows in the sleeping area. That blocks out unwanted light and keeps it warmer. To avoid condensation I crack the small window above the stove.

highaltidude

We've now spent 18 nights in our V1. This sums up our ownership experience as well.....

Eight of our nights have been at 10,000ft elevation with daytime highs below freezing (we're snowmobilers). The camper has exceeded our expectations for winter camping. We do have some moisture issues as we hang our riding gear in the shower overnight to dry out. Leaving a roof vent open helps mitigate the problem.... We also have thermal covers for both roof vents, the skylight, and the door.

When traveling to/from the mountains, or while the camper is parked in our garage, the furnace is set to "freeze protection" mode. This keeps the water system from freezing at lets us camp in the winter on short notice...

I'll add that that one of our purchase criteria was having a vehicle that would also pull a loaded snowmobile trailer when needed.....

Chuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne