Trail Tools

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have trouble trying to organize my tools...

I have been using a heavy duty laptop bag for the last 6 years or so, keeps things organized with all of the different compartments/pockets and doesn't rattle the way a tool box will, also easier to stow/pack and you can find them at your local thrift stores for under $10.

rb70383

Observer
I'm trying to switch over to soft cases, I try to use them when I do basic maint on the truck that way I know what all is needed for certain tasks. Spending more time looking for tools.
Never thought of an old laptop case. What do you think it weights full of tools? That's the other thing, I don't want one heavy bag, even 2,3 or 4 small specialized bags I think will work nice.
Havent found a soft pouch that has room for wrenches, I will have to get 2, one SAE other metric.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to switch over to soft cases, I try to use them when I do basic maint on the truck that way I know what all is needed for certain tasks. Spending more time looking for tools.
Never thought of an old laptop case. What do you think it weights full of tools? That's the other thing, I don't want one heavy bag, even 2,3 or 4 small specialized bags I think will work nice.
Havent found a soft pouch that has room for wrenches, I will have to get 2, one SAE other metric.

About 35 pounds with all of my tools in it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Despite my club mate making them, I have several Bucket Boss tool rolls that I've been using for years.

http://www.bucketboss.com/

6464563.jpg

7416825_orig.jpg

Burb One

Adventurer
Jelorian- Looks like pretty much what I carry. Only thing I'd add are vehicle specific tools.

For the GMT800
specific/Allen keys- my CV's (I'm not sure if the bolts are stock) are a specific sized allen key, so I carry a manual allen key and a socket allen)
36mm CV to wheel bearing bolt (As some one said before)
GM fuel line retainer/ clip tool

Also the rescue tape (Also there's a few other brands) works amazing. I keep it in all my cars, any radiator hose leaks can usually be fixed by it.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Have pretty much the same list as Jelorian, plus jumper cables and assorted fuses; mini air compressor, tire plug kit, slime, fix-A-Flat; duct tape, hose patch kits, radiator stop leak, bronze-seal; spare S-belt; beefed-up first -aid kit. Fire extinguisher and road flares and flashlight, chem lights. A good shovel and a smaller collapsible shovel (Eastern European Mil? Chinese?). Toilet paper. Paper towels. blue tarp. My awning kit + poles. A 'bugout bag', basicalyl a 3-day pack with MOLLE attachments.

And yeah, it's about 200-lbs worth of ****. All tucked out of sight in my 9" deep storage drawer / platform setup

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

storagebuild092_zpsmbnob9qy.jpg
storagebuild091_zpsanfptrsz.jpg

The black bags in those pics are $5 12" tool bags from Harbor Freight. They've got good zippers and sturdy sewing and hold a lot. One has the hand / mechanics' tools Jelorian listed.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As someone mentioned, once you start carrying a half inch battery impact, you'll never travel without it.

Yup, that DeWalt power pack has come in handy, use the sawzall for cutting up firewood on every trip and even a downed tree across the trail. Luckily I haven't needed the impact for my own rig but have helped a few others out on the trail, use it all the time at home and trips to the salvage yard.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Hmmmmmm lap top bag.......

I hate not having the right tools so I run heavy. Right now I use an old pediatric trauma/code bag has soft padded sides and a stout strap but no internal organization. I would like the wrench rolls I think. Make a combo sae roll and a metric roll have the sockets and wrenches together and tuck them in side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
A magnetic bowl can be a life saver, in dark/rugged/muddy areas. I also use a gallon zip lock bag for non ferrous parts.
Of course this was one of those "Life Lessons" I learned after I needed it type of thing... :elkgrin:

Love tool rolls! so nice not to hear stuff rattling around. :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Tool rolls are nice, but they very quickly swell the volume of space your tools take. The tools I keep in my vehicle aren't my primary / best tools. Often they are old / used for years and a bit shabby. As such I don't much worry about protecting them individually. For rattle / noise control I've just bundled like tools together with a bit of masking tape. The bigger bundles, in a bag, don't make any noticeable noise.

The more 'organization' you have, the more storage volume you lose to packaging. That said, I have several bags in my storage, but each of those is tast-specific for the most part. 1st Aid, Recovery, Tire Repair, Shelter, Tools. Set up so I can just grab the bag I need to deal with a particular issue.

Long ago I started using soft-sided canvas or denier nylon / cordura too bags and similar milsurp luggage bags. The nice part is the bag is flexible and compressible, so you can pack that bag of stuff in anywhere it will fit, in any odd-shaped space available in a vehicle.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Jelorian, sounds very much like my tool kit except instead of 3/8 and 1/2 tools I primarily have 1/4 and 3/8 (its all part of a nice blow molded tool kit).

You dont list any regular wrenches in your carry though?

i also make sure to have the front CV axle socket (32mm for me) and a 1/2 breaker bar, plus a long prybar

Ack! I knew I forgot something major. I do carry 10mm-18mm open ended/ratcheting wrenches.

Good idea on the CV axle socket. I believe it is 36mm on my rig

haynes manual for your rig
fuses
radiator hose repair kit
good air compressor and plugs. most often used tool.
code reader
santa brought me a 1/2 inch milwaukee impact.

good luck
kp

Hayne Manual! Yes! Thank you! I have it in my garage, but never thought to keep in the rig. Makes more sense to keep and leave it there.

Never saw that tape before....looks like pretty stout stuff. I always have spare hoses and belts but that looks pretty good in a bind.

I've heard of people leaving spare hoses at home and just bringing the tape, it's that good. I've never used to to repair, say a radiator hose, but a few vacuum hoses on my VW.

Jelorian- Looks like pretty much what I carry. Only thing I'd add are vehicle specific tools.

For the GMT800
specific/Allen keys- my CV's (I'm not sure if the bolts are stock) are a specific sized allen key, so I carry a manual allen key and a socket allen)
32mm CV to wheel bearing bolt (As some one said before)
GM fuel line retainer/ clip tool

Also the rescue tape (Also there's a few other brands) works amazing. I keep it in all my cars, any radiator hose leaks can usually be fixed by it.

Geron, is it 32mm or 36mm for the CV axle bolt?

Allen keys as well, will add to to the bag. I'll have to weigh it. I'm sure it's pushing 30+ lbs now.

Thanks all for the tips.

@Rayra, I have a whole bunch of similar gear tucked in various places in my rig. Jumper cables, air compressor, tire patch/flat repair, flash lights, oil, distilled water, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, tarp, fire extinguisher, recovery gear (20k and 30k straps, shackles), duct tape, 200' 550 paracord. I also have another pouch just with electrical stuff, like spare fuses, 10 and 12GA wire, small volt meter, wire stripper/crimper, asst butt connectors, electrical tape.

Burb One

Adventurer
Ack! I knew I forgot something major. I do carry 10mm-18mm open ended/ratcheting wrenches.

Good idea on the CV axle socket. I believe it is 36mm on my rig

Hayne Manual! Yes! Thank you! I have it in my garage, but never thought to keep in the rig. Makes more sense to keep and leave it there.

I've heard of people leaving spare hoses at home and just bringing the tape, it's that good. I've never used to to repair, say a radiator hose, but a few vacuum hoses on my VW.

Geron, is it 32mm or 36mm for the CV axle bolt?

Allen keys as well, will add to to the bag. I'll have to weigh it. I'm sure it's pushing 30+ lbs now.

Thanks all for the tips.

@Rayra, I have a whole bunch of similar gear tucked in various places in my rig. Jumper cables, air compressor, tire patch/flat repair, flash lights, oil, distilled water, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, tarp, fire extinguisher, recovery gear (20k and 30k straps, shackles), duct tape, 200' 550 paracord. I also have another pouch just with electrical stuff, like spare fuses, 10 and 12GA wire, small volt meter, wire stripper/crimper, asst butt connectors, electrical tape.

My bad it's 36mm, 177 ft-lb, Updated my last post.

Looks like stock you had 15mm for the inner CV to flange, torque to 55 ft-lb. The allen/hex must have been part of my lift kit, still always good to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior