Trail Tools

Jelorian

Adventurer
Do you guys carry only tools specific to your rigs or do you carry more (SAE vs Metric) in case you need to assist someone else on the trail?

I carry just the basics right now. Space and weight shouldn't be too much of a concern being that most of us have full size rigs. However, I don't want to bring 200lbs worth of tools.

I believe that on the GMT800 platform, I won't find many SAE fasteners, except for the 5/8" spark plug socket.

Here's what TOOLS (not spares) I have in my medium Craftsman tool bag (aside from recovery, fire suppression, fluid replacement, and emergency survival gear)

-long nose pliers
-lineman pliers
-diagonal pliers
-slip joint pliers
-channel lock pliers
-philips screwdriver
-flathead screwdriver
-metric hex keys
-vise grips
-1/2" ratchet
-3/8" ratchet
-metric sockets from 10mm-22mm
-box cutter
-bailing wire
-10 and 12ga wire
-tire patch kit
-assorted hose clamps
-JB weld
-8" adjustable wrench
-gloves
-hammer
-mini maglight
-mini hacksaw
-tire pressure gauge
-lug wrench
-duct tape
-electrical tape
-zip ties (added after FeralBoy pointed it out)
-standard wrenches from 10mm-18mm (pointed out by proper4wd)
-haynes manual (thanks kpredator)
-36mm 1/2" socket (thanks proper4wd)
-allen wrenches (thanks geronracing)

Anything to add/subtract/substitute?

We could probably make a whole new different thread on spares, fluids, and recovery items to carry, but for this thread, let's just focus on the tools you'll need to do trail repairs.

Last edited:

armymgdude

Observer
https://www.craftsman.com/products/...-storage-box-for-263pc-tool-set?taxon_id=2234
When I started fulltime travelling, I downsized all my wrenches and sockets to this. I have a soft bag with pliers etc, an ammo can full of rarely used but still necessary for my power wagon and travel trailer, and a seperate box for electrical stuff. But we are set up for solo travel, so I can dang near fix anything if I can get my hands on the parts. No welder, but can rig up a jury rigged setup off the 4 batteries on my trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think your responsibility is carry what you need for your truck and anything extra is gravy. I carry metric tools for my Toyota but include core SAE combination wrenches and some sockets (at least beyond what I need, since I'm not ashamed to admit to not being 100% faithful and do use 1/4" bolts for add-ons).

kpredator

Adventurer
tools

haynes manual for your rig
fuses
radiator hose repair kit
good air compressor and plugs. most often used tool.
code reader
santa brought me a 1/2 inch milwaukee impact.

good luck
kp

PhulesAU

Explorer
Kinda harsh, but do not worry about assisting others. If you can that's fine, but don't carry a bunch of extra crap around.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't have anything to add except that I carry my tools in a nice tool roll. Makes a nice tight package and when I need something I can unroll it and it's right there in its slot - no digging around for it.
The one I carry is made by Bucket Boss. I've had it at least 10 years.
https://jet.com/product/detail/1a71..._pla-161690163420:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=[*Campaign*]&ds_cid=[*CampagnID*]&ds_ag=[*Adgroup*]&product_id=1a71f50a19be45f1bd357f753a588f6e&product_partition_id=161690163420&gclid=COzfgPKWg9ECFQOAaQodD5kHRw

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Kinda harsh, but do not worry about assisting others. If you can that's fine, but don't carry a bunch of extra crap around.

And I think that just because you have Metric or SAE you can still stop and offer assistance. Some tools are not completely size specific. Hose clamps can be tightened down. I think a 14mm is almost the same as a 9/16" and can be used to do some basic trail repairs. So I guess what I am saying as that we can still be helpful to others on the trail even with a tool kit that is primarily dedicated to our own rig. Another way of looking at it is that if we carry however many extra pounds of gear to help others then we are increasing the chance of wear and damage to my vehicle and adding hazards to my trip. I would not ask anyone to make themselves less safe so they can help me. Just my humble opinion.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Jelorian, sounds very much like my tool kit except instead of 3/8 and 1/2 tools I primarily have 1/4 and 3/8 (its all part of a nice blow molded tool kit).

You dont list any regular wrenches in your carry though?

i also make sure to have the front CV axle socket (32mm for me) and a 1/2 breaker bar, plus a long prybar

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I carry a heavy duty laptop bag full of tools, also carry a DeWalt cordless impact driver and sawzall with several different blades.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have trouble trying to organize my tools...
A member of my 4WD club makes some of the nicest soft tool storage around. It's not the cheapest but his name is Paul, he's here in Colorado making them and when you call you talk to him or Amy.

http://adventuretoolcompany.com
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20502&highlight=adventure+tool

ShopRoll%20Open_10170411.jpg

WrenchRoll%202_11160420.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles