Off road trailer to haul ural sidecar motorcycle

Doc187

Observer
I just bought a nissan frontier pro 4x and found a flip-pac camper shell for it. My next project is an off road worthy trailer to haul my ural gear up. It's a lite vehicle but the foot print is rather large. I want something rugged that I can also mount tool boxes and other storage containers to. Can anyone point me I'm the right direction?

Clutch

<---Pass
Have a Big Tex 5X8' for the dirt bikes, have had it for 15 years...has been bomber. Only paid a $1000 for it brand new. Can get about any size you need.

Like the round tube top rail over cheaper angle iron versions. The round tube has better torsional stiffness. Be a good mounting point for truck bedside tool boxes.

The only thing I had to do it was, the center mount jack barely cleared my tailgate when open...removed that, and I welded on a jack that rotates out of the way.

If you want a smoother ride over leaf spring, sure they can install a set of Timbren axles on it for a hell of a lot less than what that AT cost. Or do a torsion axle.

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/30sa35sa-single-axle-utility/#

http://timbren.com/axle-less/

https://www.trailerpart.com/c-26-torsion-axles.aspx

We have similar setup, I run a Wildernest on a Tacoma...that size trailer seems about right for offroad. Have dragged it many a place.

13690593_10154406835449630_7389590242400467047_n.jpg

Last edited:

Doc187

Observer
I like this price point much better. I should start looking for a used trailer and change out the axle. That timbren set looks really nice but the ural is heavy on the bike side and light on the sidecar side so no way to evenly load it. That is unless I put a tool box on the side car side.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like this price point much better. I should start looking for a used trailer and change out the axle. That timbren set looks really nice but the ural is heavy on the bike side and light on the sidecar side so no way to evenly load it. That is unless I put a tool box on the side car side.

Those little utility trailers come up on craigslist all of the time. Should be able to find one a bit under $1000. Those AT's are nice and all....but man, that is half the cost of another Ural!

Have some riding buds that have the Torsion Axle on theirs, fairly happy with it. You may not even have to change the axle...get one, use it and see how it goes. I find just driving a bit slower when in the dirt helps a bunch.

I would put the tool box on the sidecar side, help balance it out. I used to carry my bike on the one side instead of the center...mainly a lazy way so I don't have to jockey it from the center chock when we would load up a buddy's bike if we were car pulling. he live 30 minutes away...over a couple years of doing that. Noticed the one tire wore out a bit faster. Trailer didn't pull all that much different...though that bike is only 250lbs. What do those Urals weigh, about 700 lbs or so?

Found this for you: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40702

Looks almost exactly like the trailer I have.

IMG_1174-L.jpg

Bi-Fold ramps are nice too, so it isn't such a parachute back there.

TEST%20XX%20058_big.gif

Last edited:

Doc187

Observer
Thanks for the link. I'm on soviet steeds a lot. Yes it's about 700 lbs. Probably more with all the gear I have on it now.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I run about with mine on a Kendon dual folding trailer with the torsion bar axle flipped. Plenty of clearance and very light but rides extremely well. Not much room for extras though.

My other trailer is a military one with independent suspension and a 40 gallon diesel tank underneath. The trailer only weighs 1200 lbs but can carry another 3700 lbs (enough for a CJ or Suzuki 4WD).

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Did you see this trailer in the for sale section.
Flatbed M116A3, Drop Axles, Runflats, Double-Beadlocks,

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The key is finding a trailer wide enough. I had a 5 X 7 trailer and had to put 2 x 6 boards on the floor so the Ural would clear the side rails of the trailer.

paddlequest

Adventurer
Not to highjack your thread, as this is really interesting to me. I have been thinking about flatdeck on my double cab Tacoma to carry a quad and pulling and towing an off road capable teardrop for sleeping and kitchen options. I had also thought about you are setting up though. I am very interesting in how the discussion on this thread goes. Good luck finding the trailer you need/want!

Last edited:

Doc187

Observer
I found a used alumalite atv trailer and mounted a heavy duty wheel chock. Worked out well but only because I have a winch to load and unload with.

Attachments

• KIMG0575.jpg
    KIMG0575.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles