GM codes codes and more codes....what do you think?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have just scanned my suburban and got these codes

hold on to your seats.

P0102
p0113
po307
po351
po353
po357
po455

If you need discriptions I can give them, but I am thinking the GM gurus here know what these are. I am looking at multiple coil replacements or wire and plug swap first? Also looks like a MAF sensor cleaninig is needed.

any information on how to go about what I need to do would be a big help.

CodyY

Explorer
I have just scanned my suburban and got these codes

hold on to your seats.

P0102
p0113
po307
po351
po353
po357
po455

If you need discriptions I can give them, but I am thinking the GM gurus here know what these are. I am looking at multiple coil replacements or wire and plug swap first? Also looks like a MAF sensor cleaninig is needed.

any information on how to go about what I need to do would be a big help.
Year, model, engine, running characteristics, miles, mods, happen all the sudden, developed over time, recently serviced/repaired, ......?
Need mucho mas info.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

2005 z71 suburban 5.3. 127,000km. developed over time. It was just in for a complete brake line job. Nothing to do with issues. Its studdering while driving off and on. I am just wondering if I should assume that the coil codes are plugs and wires and clean the MAF sensor and go from there?

rayra

Expedition Leader
I described the idle air circuit solenoid to you in anothe rtopic, and have pics and details in the 'Hey Vortec Guys' topic. The coil codes, I'd first suggest a complete inspection of the parts and particularly the electrical connections on the coil signal wiring. Each individual coil connection and the whole harness connector on each side, which is just above the coils, between them adn the intake manifold.
Here it's in this post -
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ckup-Suburban-Yukon-etc?p=2070337#post2070337

enginethreefer12_zpsd6gsbhtu.jpg
enginethreefer11_zpsx85eskar.jpg

And if you have corrosion issues bad enough to eat those metal fluid lines, I'd take a good hard look at all your electrical ground connections and especially the woven grounding strap on the engine, typically near the back of heads and firewall, but I'm not exactly sure where that might be on our vehicles. I haven't had to look for it yet. But I've read a great many postings talking about faulty grounds leading to all sorts of voltage surges which get erroneously interpreted as bad sensor readings by the computers.

lastly on coil packs, they are a LOT less expensive by the set. So first see if you actually have a bad one, before buying any. If the fault codes are specific to a particular coil, physically swap it with another and see if the error report follows to its new location.

These investigative / diagnostic things are all easy and nearly free to do. Do them before throwing money at the problem.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
P0102 - low signal input from MAF, online diagnostics specifically mention checking electrical connections
p0113 - Intake Air Temp high signal, bad sensor, dirty air filter, and two mentions of checking electrical connections on the sensor
po307 - misfire cylinder 7 (that the rear cylinder on teh driver side). Could be all sorts of things, besides spark. But likely spark.
po351 -
Symptoms

Check Engine Light will illuminate
Engine idles rough
Engine misfires on acceleration
In rare cases, the engine may not exhibit noticeable symptoms

Common Problems That Trigger the P0351 Code

Defective Ignition Coil(s)
Defective Spark Plug(s)
Intake Manifold Vacuum leaks
Carbon buildup in the Throttle Body air passages
Defective Idle Air Control Valve or Electronic Body

po353 - more about defective coil, rest similar to above.
po357 - another squawk about bad coil on #7
po455 - EVAP system large leak. Might be your gas vapor capture cannister, might be a purge valve solenoid / control issue, might be a bad gasket on your gas cap. Might be another corroded / failed line on your chassis, but your guy should have mentioned it to you. You'll fail a smog test in CA with this code. Regardless of your actual emissions readings

It's basically shouting at you about a bad coil on #7 and about potential corrosion issues in your electrical connections. No wonder it stumbles / stutters.

There's lots of OBD codes references and potential solutions on the net, look them up next time. I basically did it here because I've got a near identical vehicle / drivetrain in my driveway. Two, really and one is the same year as yours. So I looked it all up for my own info as much as for yours.

I would swap the #5 and #7 coils, turn the key / energize the system and clear the codes, then start it up. If it is indeed the coil you should then squawk a 0305 code, instead of 0307. And you'll still get all the others 300-series codes as they are all interrelated. That's a 'free' test / method of confirming it is the coil itself, before spending money on a replacement. It shouldn't take more than 20mins to effect this swap. It's 4 bolts and four electrical connections. Rockauto has replacement coils ranging from $20-40ea (USD)

And were I you I'd be getting the undercarriage blasted as clean as possible and get busy coatign everything I could in at least a layer of paint. As for the electrical connections I'd be plugging and unplugging them to reduce any corrosion buildup, blowing out the female connecors with compressed air, maybe sanding the exposed male connectors with something like 600grit+ and then I'd be using a lot of dielectric grease on the connector boots to seal things up as best as possible during reassembly.
I'd be working a lot on maintenance, trying to get back to a 'preventative' state of things, instead of getting hit by unplanned breakdowns / assaults on my wallet. I'd rather invest some time and usually less money, 'fixing' things before they fail, when I can. not to get preachy about it. Just a suggestion.

kojackJKU

Yeah Rayra. Maybe after this winter I will lift the body and sandblast it and por 15 it and then coat it again. I really don't want to loose it. I am getting it back to a running state again. The doors have minimal rust on it but I can get another to fix it. the rockers have small amounts on it....I am not sure how to stop that! Another good thing is that the floor in it is still grey from the coating on the bottom of it. NO RUST at all...thank god. I have a tube of di electric somewhere. I looked at the coils and a couple are "fanned" out from rust. Since it was only a plow vehicle until this year we just sort of put it out of our minds. Probably the wrong thing to do. On my torque pro app it was saying 3 different coil packs which leads me to believe its either those connections or spark plugs/leads. I will try the cleaning of all the connections when it gets above -15 here. just too ********** cold for picking at the rig right now. Thanks for the direction on how to go about fixing this beast. My expertise is 2 wheeled/tracked things. Not vehicles.

kojackJKU

Rayra. Just went through that post. I will tackle that ASAP. wow you have it all laid out there pretty good. Deadly !!! Thanks for the time it takes to put all that info up for us.

rayra

Expedition Leader
You're welcome. I lump it all under 'general maintenance'. Keep the water out of the oil and the oil out of the water and the water out of the electricity. Metal, plastic, rubber, it's all the same issues, different machines.

Be real careful with the connectors on the coil and fuel injector harnesses. After this many years and miles they'll be brittle. They're a mildly complicated two-step catch and if you don't know exactly how they are supposed to move they are very easy to break.

kojackJKU

Totally. I am going to get it into my buddys shop where I can warm it up so they are not cold brittle either. spend a couple of hrs in his shop where the brake lines were done...and just go through everything. I am also going to change the plugs and wires, since we do not think they were ever changed. I am getting three coil codes. so I think its more an electrical connection issue than the actual coil bad. But who knows. We will see what happens.

kojackJKU

After visiting rock auto....I am going to just replace the 8 coils, wires and plugs. Also do the throttle body / MAF sensor cleaning as well. For the 220 bucks cdn it costs to replace all the coils, wires and plugs....frig it. That's fine....no more issues for awhile then!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94