1999 Freightliner FL60 Camper Phoenix AZ

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Sold sold sold sold

1999 Freightliner FL60 Camper/Expedition/Overland vehicle. ready to travel (i.e. bedding, cooking gear etc)

Built for extended travel across all types of roads on all continents. From the beaches of Baja to the wonders of the USA we have enjoyed this camper and it has never let us down. Now it is time to build a bigger one.

So are you tired of having the stick built RV’s break apart underneath you. Want something that can handle getting to those out of the way locations. Feel like having something different. Here is your chance to have a unique camper.

If you want to check the standards these are built to check out Federal Specification for the Star-of-Life Ambulance KKK-A-1822.

Video from interview at Overland Expo East

The "sort of a build thread"

Click on photos for larger view.

Beach Mexico.jpg

Truck
1999 Freightliner FL60
5.9 Cummins turbo 24 valve electronic injection.
Allison 3060 Transmission (overhauled 2015 with warranty remaining)
Rockwell RS 15-120 Rear axle (4.30 ratio)
ABS Disk Brakes
20” dual bead lock rims
365/80R20 (43” x 14”) Michelin XZL tires.
Centramatic wheel balancers on the front wheels.
New Radiator and long life coolant 2015
4 group 31 batteries (new June 2016)
Extra cab that seats 3 (plus 4 in the back if necessary)
2 x air ride seats, 3rd seat stows away when not needed.
AC has had the compressor, filter/dryer and TX valve replaced and re-gassed 2016.
New belts 2015 or 2016.
Central locking (Cab and module/camper)
Air ride rear suspension.
Roof rack with spare tire.
290 Amp alternator

Module
Well insulated super strong aluminum module (box) (Check out Federal Specification for the Star-of-Life Ambulance KKK-A-1822)
Walk through between module and truck cab.
AC with separate compressor. Engine driven.
(2” box frame, 1/8” skin, generally ply interior).
LED interior lighting (white and red)
Exterior area lighting (red and white)
Ample exterior storage cabinets.

Camping/comfort
12v DC refrigerator
Microwave
Induction cooktop
Portable gas cooktop
Gas BBQ
1800 W true sine wave inverter 12v-110v (medical quality)(also includes battery charger)
20 gallons fresh water.
Internal sink.
Jacknife sofa. (Approximately queen size bed 78”x53”)
Bunkbed (78” x 30” approximately)
Ample inside storage cabinets.

Electrical
295W Solar panel
20A MPPT solar regulator with remote monitor.
4 x group 31 batteries (new June 2016) in slide out rack.
110v 30A input plug.
1800 W Vanner Bravo Inverter (Pure Sine Wave) with battery charger.
290 Amp alternator.
Amazing wiring and control system. (for example all wires individually named along the length)

IMG_9378.jpg IMG_9379.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg IMG_9384.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg IMG_9395.jpgIMG_9393.jpg

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
That's a very good price.

When I bought my buggy from GEV, it ran me $24,000 because I bought a "refurbished" ambulance - that included new batteries, new alternator, new air compressor, new AC compressor, and everything working.

Considering that you have an extended cab and oversize tires and wheels, new mechanical components, plus the RV components & solar, the price is about where it should be. Plus, you've transported it to AZ from the east coast, so they can avoid fuel, motel, and meal costs for the trip.

Best of luck with the sale!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That's a very good price.

When I bought my buggy from GEV, it ran me $24,000 because I bought a "refurbished" ambulance - that included new batteries, new alternator, new air compressor, new AC compressor, and everything working.

Considering that you have an extended cab and oversize tires and wheels, new mechanical components, plus the RV components & solar, the price is about where it should be. Plus, you've transported it to AZ from the east coast, so they can avoid fuel, motel, and meal costs for the trip.

Best of luck with the sale!

Thanks for the input rlrenz. I think it is fair pricing and I will not be getting back what we have into it (nor could I build it again for that price). But we have had some great times in it.

But I do have this grave concern that when I die my wife will sell my toys off for what I told her I paid for them!!!! :yikes:

rlrenz

Explorer
Thanks for the input rlrenz. I think it is fair pricing and I will not be getting back what we have into it (nor could I build it again for that price). But we have had some great times in it.

But I do have this grave concern that when I die my wife will sell my toys off for what I told her I paid for them!!!! :yikes:

Oh Lord, I agree. Some things, like the actual cost of a large toy, must forever remain unmentioned. Even though my wife is very mellow about my retirement toy (it is after all more comfortable than the 2 1/2 ton 6x6 that I used to play with), it still is a land-yacht, and must have regular inoculations of cash to prevent it sinking at the dock...

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Here is a summary video of the interior. Poorly taken by someone that needs to get his 9 year old grand daughter to give him tips on how to use a video camera

https://vimeo.com/197837877

And another one with the details of the bunk bed/ storage.

https://vimeo.com/197837981

Sorry I don't know what happened to the video's. PM me if you want to see them and I will share a link to my personal photo pages.

Last edited:

hollaback55

Explorer
I absolutely love this. 2-3 years too soon for me but eventually this is the exact style rig I would like to convert into a poor mans earthroamer. GLWS

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
One thing I alway knew I needed to fix before selling this truck was the tow hitch. The original hitch was just a hitch tube welded into the existing bumper. But on our last trip I picked up a couple of axles and a dual axle trailer to carry them. About 4500#. Well it caused a few fatigue cracks and I wasn't willing to sell the truck in that condition.

So today I inserted a class 5 hitch into the existing bumper. Checkout the welds, I am proud of them.

e8d7e1afb440311bb7aab4bb26acc179.jpg

ebe9b1dd8b02be206742d78b3ae02bac.jpg

But I have to give credit where it's due. It was the pipeline welder from next door who welded it up for me. Better for everyone.

a57753cbef8e7d6bd78d6b16905ec32e.jpg

RiderBloke

Observer
Ozrockrat, I salivate every time I look at the yellow truck. It's just too early for me yet.
A couple of questions if I may:
Can you still get a bike in there with the new sofa?
Will the Hitch tow say 9000 lbs?
Can a trailer brake controller be used with this truck? (EG Tekonsha P3)
Is the 4WD unit in coast mode for normal driving? (To keep mpg up)
Thanks for all your posts & info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK

1- Yes you can get a bike in with the sofa. Probably not my K1200LT or RT but most dual sports would fit. (also this is fitted with the extra hitch tubes for the RV motorcycle lifts).
2- The hitch would tow 9000 lbs but personally I would probably put triangulated supports further up the frame. (but then I over engineer everything, if something is worth doing it is worth overdoing).
3- Yes a trailer brake can be used. This truck has hydraulic brakes and has a "normal" brake light switch to pull the signal off. I don't think there is anything prewired for the trailer brake controller but Freightliner could confirm/deny that. (unlike the red one that needs a canbus module for trailer lights and a reflash of the computer to get it working).
4- This truck is only 2WD. Last trip was an even 10 mpg (including towing a 4500# trailer for 1000 out of the 4500 miles.)

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Page 6 again.

For those that are interested in turning this into 4WD I could do a deal with the axles and rims I have sitting in my back yard. Axletech 4000 (9t) steer axles (2 off) never been used. Planetary axles with air lockers. Since this truck has hydraulic disk brakes it is a relatively easy matter to make up a caliper bracket to fit them to. 5 new 20 x 10 alloy beadlock rims and possibly the new trailer I picked them up with.

Axles in trailer.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
A few more items crossed off the list.

When I added the stronger hitch I did make it a lot harder to put the pins in the outside (motorcycle rack) hitch tubes. So I picked up some spring loaded hitch pins and installed them onto the tubes. So easy to put the rack on now and I don't lose the pins. As the pins only hold the hitch in the tubes and are not pulled on like a tow hitch I am sure they will be sufficient (enough to trust my BMW's on).

Hitch Pins.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94