1999 Freightliner FL60 Camper Phoenix AZ

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
White cab over is a MAN that belongs to a German couple who have been traveling for many years. It just needed a bit of a rest and some social time with its American cousins.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Looks like it is sold. Deposit received and we are on our way to deliver it. Delivering to Portland via the eclipse and a little look around.

We are now in Tonopah NV and having done this route a month ago using the little wheels I can do a pretty good comparison. Short answer is this truck is so much more civilized with the big wheels. Rides a lot smoother and cruises on 65 easily (with the cruise control working). The only downside is the tire noise is louder but if you count the total whining (me whining about the cruise control and the noise of the tires) it is a lot less.

patoz

Expedition Leader
congrats.gif
I guess that means more toys for Big Red now, right?

rlrenz

Explorer
OK - I gotta ask -- what are your thoughts on more poop in the Red Machine? Nitrous Oxide? Engine change? Gas turbine? Coal fired steam boiler & engine?

Even though Mercedes swears that their "new" engines are great, I still keep hearing mixed comments from users, with more unhappy folks than happy.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
1st order of business is finding out how many of the 280hp it is producing now. The engine can be flashed up to 330hp by a calibration change only. Now I have one less vehicle to work on I can hopefully focus more effort in finding the lost ponies and then working out how many more I will need to run the 4WD system.

If the Mercedes proves troublesome it will probably get a C7 Cat transplant.

rlrenz

Explorer
With any luck, the Mercedes will just need a tweak or two --

I've seen the Cat C7 in quite a few applications, with apparently good results. Can you track one down at less than a painful price?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Any price is painful when you include the time and effort needed to swap it in . But I think I can get an old school bus or something like that with a Freightliner chassis for a reasonable price. Biggest thing is the rebuild price on a Cat is much less than a Mercedes.

rlrenz

Explorer
True. It becomes a giant PITA. You need to come up with an air compressor, AC compressor, 270 amp alternator, etc. Some that's on the Mercedes may transfer, but some won't. Hopefully, the vehicle electrical circuits won't be a PITA as well.

I have a pdf of the Freightliner FL-series service manual. Would a copy help?

rlrenz

Explorer
Thinking about it a little more, you can't be the only person replacing a Mercedes with a Cat. There should be info on the swap on the internet - maybe even from Freightliner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz