"Budget" Vehicles for DD/OL/Expo

ljfabes

Get a 4 runner, just try to buy one that has been well taken car of with no previous aftermarket mods. I made that last mistake with my 2000 4runner, it would go any where, but the lift on it was garbage and it rode terrible on the highway make it un drivable. Thats the reason I sold it but for your needs I would hands down say the 4runner one reason being that there is a lot of aftermarket support for them.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I have had great luck with my 06 TB over the past nearly 8 years. Has become a bit more trail than overland, but has only needed minimal maintenance, has travelled and wheeled over 1000+ mile trips, is comfy, on 35s I get about 16 mpg with sensible driving. GM set them up for success with a 2.7:1 Transfercase, good solid transmission, a 275 or 291 HP inline 6 or you can get the 5.3 V8 if you look around, and they have a fully boxed frame.

They can be found in good shape left over from a soccer mom and pretty cheap. Parts are really cheap if needed. Aftermarket is not huge, but there is a good group of owners and some individuals that supply some great stuff reasonably. PLus they are different and the number of compliments I get from yota and jeep guys is amazing once they see it in action.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Don't undervalue having the same rig as those you get out with. You immediately have a knowledge base at your beck-and-call. Any of the rigs mentioned will do what you want it to. And none are a 'wrong' choice. The differences aren't going to be known/seen on the trail. Driving skills could easily make up the differences between their mechanicals.

In the end, what's going to make it a good or bad experience will be your level of comfort with the decision and how deep you'll have to reach into you pocket to keep it on the road.
XJ - Cheap and easy to keep on/off road but not the most comfortable to drive daily since it's basically late-70's design.
4Runner - What's not to love...unless you can't afford it. Even badly abused ones are expensive to buy and maintained.
Trooper/Montero - Limitations in knowledge and support. Even small problems could feel insurmountable if you have to call 30 places every time something breaks.

Where are you willing to compromise? To me, the 4runner is the logical choice for you.

PS - That's a bass-add Trailblazer. I really like the combination of size, comfort, reliability, and parts availability and costs. The I-6 is incredibly strong but a bit of an orphan (it should have replaced the I-5 in the Colorado just to put more of them out there). I wish it got better mpg.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
If you need information on Troopers, just go to planetisuzoo.com.

The Trooper auto isn't the most robust, but if you are lucky enough to find one that has been cared for I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Heck, that statement is true for pretty much any 20 year old automatic transmission.

If you can handle a manual, a mid-90s (92-97) Trooper is a very reliable beast, with tons of room inside and very capable off road. Either way, there isn't another SUV out there with more rear axle articulation than a Trooper.

I haven't found any problem with parts availability, regular wear items like ball joints etc. are readily available at any parts store.

One other thing, they are very cheap and easy to lift and fit tires, almost any lift will allow 33s. A pair of lift coils for the rear, adjust the front torsion bars to match, and you are there.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Regarding XJs, I like the motor and drivetrain, but have you actually sat in one? They are very small inside. I would have to cut a hole in the roof to sit in one comfortably.

Trailblazer is not a bad idea, they are roomy. We have several in our fleet at work, they seem to rust sooner than they should but maybe you can find one outside the rust belt. I have no idea what it takes to lift one, but I'm sure there are some folks out there who do.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
PS - That's a bass-add Trailblazer. I really like the combination of size, comfort, reliability, and parts availability and costs. The I-6 is incredibly strong but a bit of an orphan (it should have replaced the I-5 in the Colorado just to put more of them out there). I wish it got better mpg.

Why it never went in place of the I-5...I don't know but it should have! As mine sits with the I-6 with the 35s I average about 15-16 MPG. I don't complain about that.

I agree with the thoughts on having a common rig. It is nice to be able to have parts and knowledge base available. Jeep, GM, Ford usually get my attention for that reason. While mine is not common offroad, I KNOW every parts store and junk yard will have parts available right away. pLus it is a pretty basic SUV design that even if you have not worked on one specifically, won't really confuse a decent a shadetree mechanic if I need help trail-side.

I would definitely go drive all the budget vehicles suggested you can and see what fits. Your personal comfort is a thing often overlooked cause people want a certain rig, but if you have odd blindspots or seating position or just are not feeling a rig...keep looking. There are a ton of options as the suggestions show.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would have seriously considered a TB or it's GMC Clone the Envoy if I had not been able to find a Pathfinder with a manual transmission. The nice thing about the TB is that while most of the other "budget friendly" 4x4s are fairly old (I think the last year for the Trooper was 02, last year for the Montero was 04, last year for the XJ was 01, etc), the TB was made through 2009 which means you can find a newer, lower mileage model fairly easy.

BTW a bit OT but I keep hearing rumors that GM might reintroduce the TB, I'm assuming based on the frame of the new Colorado/Canyon. Seeing as how Nissan's dropping of the Xterra has pretty much left the BOF mid-sized SUV market to Toyota and Jeep, that might make sense.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
My advise (beware; opinions follow, and we all know what they are worth),
...is to figure out what kind of travel & camping you actually want to do; then get/build/modify an appropriate vehicle, if necessary.
Beware of fan boy advice; unmentioned disadvantages are often significant.
Travel trailers and pop-ups often need different vehicles than offroading/four wheeling, and often special prep for unpaved travel.
Commercial campsites with showers, toilets, electricity and running water do not need 4WD (and neither do most gravel/dirt roads).
All wheel drive is not 4WD; but can have a place for improved road or even light off road travel.
Maintain the vehicle and use care in designing/selecting/installing modifications. The first thing I do with a, new to me, vehicle is to remove the previous owner's F-ups...(selecting and getting a relatively unmolested vehicle is often fraught with cringes and teeth gritting).
Large vehicles sometimes self restrict off road travel options; trying to weave between trees, or boulders on Jeep trails, or even park in some parking lots with a large overweight vehicle is not fun.
(IMO a vehicle should put a grin on your face every time, and everywhere, you drive it).
Having lights and gear removed by low hanging branches is at best frustrating.
Trying to negotiate an easy leaner with a pickup bed camper on board is sometimes quite white knuckley...
Trying to drive a limited wheel travel vehicle over severe terrain is often difficult (less so with lockers or traction control).
Trying to drive lockers on ice can be hazardous.
All 4WD and 4WD vehicles are not equal and it is quite possible to drive into situations which cannot be driven out of, especially, with some stock and near stock vehicles/SUVs.
Driving off road is not the same as street driving and requires some skill.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Good thoughts.

I agree on the smile when driving and I add that you should strive for a rig you truly can depend on. I know my lil rig will get my wife and kids through about anything mother nature may throw at them and would trust it to drive across the country. For years I have told people it is the one of my many vehicles I really have faith in to do what it should...go from point A to point B without issues; wherever i determine those points to be.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...Agreed;
..although; even an old school Jeep can be made utterly reliable with (more than) a bit of work, maintenance and thought...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer
My advice, similar the Happy Joe, is figure out what level of comfort need, how much you need to bring along. Get the most trouble free vehicle that meets comfort and crap carrying needs. Before you buy a vehicle, have and independent mechanic with a good reputation look it over. Remember, just because your buddies do it, does not mean it is done right or that you need it.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
It's hard to beat the 3.5 Sports for cost/capability....really stout, safe, reliable, capable enough, quiet, comfortable, plenty of cargo etc. I also just pulled a real world accurately measured 20mpg loaded on a 1500mi trip on 32s. Without 70mph speed limits it would have done even better. Should be able to find one and baseline for under $5k....

ADVSubaru

Observer
I would recommend a Montero in either the Gen 2.5 with a winter package or the Gen 3 with the 6G75 engine ('03-'06). They are reliable, overbuilt trucks that have some real advantages over the competition, IMO.

The 2.5 is (subjectively) a great looking truck with a solid rear axle that was available with a factory air locker ('98-'99 winter package). The transfer case is manually selected and has a true 2WD setting as well as full-time 4WD. Locking hubs are an easy upgrade and low t-case and diff gears are available as well as aftermarket air lockers. The Montero also has a rear mounted spare, real third row and a gigantic sunroof. This would be my pick (I owned two) for a more offroad oriented overland rig.

The Gen III is the pick when a more road-oriented rig is required. It's no slouch off-road (has a record holding number of wins in the Dakar Rally) despite being IFS/IRS and has an incredible traction control system. It's a monocoque body design which is stronger than a unibody (and, since you're looking at XJs...). The last year for these was '06 in the States so they don't have as big a following as some of the other platforms, but there's a wealth of information worldwide under the "Pajero" search term.

The biggest drawback I can think of is that the service intervals are very short for things like timing belts and water pumps and, unlike other makes, they don't have much of a safety margin built in. IIRC, the timing belt interval is only 60,000 miles. When I did the TB job, I reused a factory tensioner that tested out ok per the manual and it ended up fragging the engine (interference type). Access to the components is also a bear. The entire intake manifold as well as the upper and lower plenums have to be removed just to access the spark plugs. They also have a very slim aftermarket in North America, but that seems to be picking up as more people are building them.

The biggest mechanical issues seem to be oil leaks (cam seals front and rear, valve seals) and crank bolts that walk-out on their own (fixed with updated OEM bolt and washer).

My current rig is an LX470 which suits my family better for a variety of reasons, but I often miss some of the features of my Monteros.

Wow, I had no idea how well equipped these vehicles are. They seem like a hidden gem of a vehicle to get out with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior