"Budget" Vehicles for DD/OL/Expo

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I am really impressed with your rig. Were you able to work out the bugs with the overall rig? That 4.2 atlas is an intriguing engine, regardless of it's issues.

Look it this guy's budget Traiblazer build, he even made a home-made roof top tent:
http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?t=78

Not sure what bugs you reference honestly. I have been impressed throughout. it has been an adventure helping to develop and prototype armor and bumpers and lift kits plus trying different tire/wheel combinations. I have said for years the only reason I would consider a 5.3 over the 4.2 is sound. I love a V8 growl, but even with my 35s I get good fuel economy, decent towing, and plenty of get up and go power. The 4.2 in mine has 175K and runs like new with minimal maintenance compared to some vehicles I have owned.

That is James build. I have met up and done some dirt roads n such in WVA and VA with him before. He was one of the earliest on the platform as well. Although if you new his costs...you likely would not call it budget. I am pretty sure he has more money wrapped up than I do, but he has a nicely built capable rig.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would suggest a Tahoe/suburban. Cheap entry price, aftermarket support is there, factory parts galore. and room. I keep reading on here, myself included, that people getting small rigs only to jump to a suburban for extra space. If your not crawling, its a great option...comfortable, roomy, and capable.

itschrisb

Im in the same boat. I had a 94 toyota pickup single cab that I sold recently because I need more space. Im now facing the dilemma of buying a newer tacoma with close to 200k miles for 6-8k or going with a non favored vehicle for half the cost. I cant justify the toyota.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz