Gallivanter: An Ominous Beginning and an Optimistic Future

Gallivanter: An Ominous Beginning and an Optimistic Future

Back in the day, I had a van. In fact, for a short time it was my address. I had a 1992 GMC G30 Vandura in my snowboard bum days of Breckenridge, CO. I had actually bought the van to start a mobile oil change business. However, as I was kind of an irresponsible party alcoholic in my early 20's living in a ski town, that never materialized. I did use it while I laid tile in multi million dollar mansions surrounding the area, but that was about as much work as it accomplished. Mostly, it held my belongings and served as a place to sleep in the cold Colorado winter nights in between the times I had a real roof over my head.

This is where my story starts. In the lower atmospheres of my thinking and my youth, I never really realized just how great that vehicle was. Come to think of it, I remember the tons of compliments I was paid about how cool the van was while at gas pumps and in parking lots. It was just a van really. Nothing special and stock. People wiser than me in my youth knew what I had though.

My fondest memories of the time with that van were the times when it was my address. I would periodically lose my place to stay from crashing on one couch or another and the van would become my home. It was a great thing that I knew the people I did and found a great place to park my home on wheels and I had the best place in town. The Beaver Run parking lot; less than 100 yards to the lift.

My daily routine was as follows. Wake up around 8 or so in the morning, usually intoxicated from the previous night's ski town shenanigans, put on my snowboarding gear and brush my teeth in the parking lot while the gapers looked on with quizzical looks trying to figure out my story and just why exactly I was brushing my teeth outside of a van that obviously held everything that I owned. Next, I would walk 100 yards to the lift and shred Breck a new one for an hour or six. Then, back to the van to change for work, head to the bus stop and take a half hour bus ride down to Frisco to start the evening shift at A-train Pizzeria. I would have driven to work, but I didn't have the necessary piece of plastic to operate my beloved van legally. See paragraph one. A-Train was the kind of kitchen that encouraged drinking on the job and we got going early. By the time we were ready to punch out, our buzz had a good start and the night was young. Breck tonight? Frisco tonight? Who knew and I rarely remembered. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I sold that van some years later, but always loved it. It is only now that I am embarking on a new van adventure that I remember my first van. A vehicle is so much more than a piece of machinery and transportation. It is a feeling and a statement of being. It is a relationship. We, as van people, have our own way of looking at the world and at our vehicles.

If you are looking for just another thread to glean technical information from or to help you decide what van to buy, this thread is not it. This thread will be the true story of a van build and all the trials and tribulations of what it takes to make a 4x4 van happen in your driveway with no previous vehicle modification experience. This thread will also take some effort on your part. I love to write. A lot. Which means you will need to read. A lot.

Some of you may find it drivel, but some of you may find it riveting. My explanations and stories will be in depth and probably contain a bunch of fluff to the front, side, or back of what I am talking about. I would love if people had a great reaction to what I write, but I am ok if they don't. This thread is for me to sit down and write to take my mind off running a company, maintaining a personal life, and to document my own adventure building Gallivanter.

I used to write a pretty successful thread as far a forums are concerned (shameless plug to click signature) called The Adventures of Tyson and Hobbes. In fact, it is still the 19th most popular thread in all of Day trippin' on advrider.com out of over 10,000 threads and I haven't written on the dang thing in several years. I miss writing and I am going to take it on again with this project and attempt to write a different kind of build thread. I hope you'll join me along the way.

The basics on what is to come:

Flying to buy a POS van
Ending up with several vans and a mildly unhappy girlfriend
Dealing with multiple crappy parts from salvage yards
Playing with a plasma cutter for the first time
Making new friends
The frustrations of not having a shop
The frustrations of not having enough money
The frustrations of missed deadlines and winter

Here are the goals for the project over the next few years

MG's 4x4 conversion which is mostly installed and an immobile van in my driveway.
Interior build that I am sure will change a million times
POP top- Hey MG, waiting on you buddy. Oh, and money. That too.
Some fancy lights. Ima gonna put like 4 light bars on this thing. Prolly not. Lol

Use the F-ing thing! Ski in the winter. Baja. Raft hauling rig. It's an outdoor machine and so am I.

So starts of the build of Gallivanter.

attachment.php

Below is the link to the Google Sheet I have created where I am documenting every last penny spent on Gallivanter in chronological order. Click anytime to see where I am at.

Sheet updated: 7-25-17

Gallivanter's Cost Sheet

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Less words. More pictures. :********:

Looking forward to the read.

Where are you located? Why is the van immobile?

stormlover

Adventurer
Subscribed. Also a mtn biking, bc skiing, and raft junky. Got about 100 grand canyon river trips now, mostly for work.

And I like to read. A lot.:ylsmoke:

Fast forward a number of years from my Breckenridge days to arrive in March of 2014. I'm no longer a ski bum. Although I created, own and run a pretty ************ used outdoor gear shop in Boise and still ski my *** off. I still drink more than I should but I am decidedly more of an adult than I used to be. Things actually ain't so bad. In fact, they are pretty damn good.

Other outdoor activities besides my previous motorized obsession of Hobbes have taken prevalence in my life. Rafting, canyoneering, backpacking, BC skiing, and climbing have all taken over. I've have spent many hundreds of nights in a tent over my years on this planet. I love it. I can say with much certainty that the sound of raindrops on a tent is my most favorite sound in this life. Interestingly enough, that's how I end up looking at vans with fresh eyes for the first time since I had one in my youth.

It was cold in early April of Idaho. A few friends planned a climbing trip to a world class area called City of Rocks to get back on ropes in prep for canyoneering objectives in Utah later this summer. We called to check on information at The City to make sure it was early enough in the year we could show up and just grab a camp spot before reservations started. Seems to be a “go” so we head out.

Upon arrival, we quickly realize we were lied to by the Forest Circus. It's the first reservation weekend and all the spots are full with the exception of the group camping area by Bread Loaves. Bread Loaves is a wonderful spot with slanted tent spots overlooking a gravel parking lot and a crappy fire ring. We took what we could get and enjoyed the climbing of the first day.

The first night of camping that weekend was my epiphany of how awesome a van could be. Nevermind my youth. That was alcohol soaked and I really never thought about how awesome that first van was until recently.

I'll say here that I have killer outdoor gear. I'm equipped to spend time outside in seriously crappy weather. “There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear.” However in this particular moment, I am jealous of a Sprinter. As my friends and I stand in the gravel parking lot, drinking our fancy IPA beer, no fire, with the rain pouring down whilst in our fancy Gore-Tex gear, I can't help but feel something change inside me. I look across the parking lot and gaze at the Sprinter with the two couples inside nice and dry playing cards with slider door open while the rain pours down on my head.

Have I gotten old all of a sudden? I thought I was going to camp forever. I was gonna be one of those crazy 70 year olds you run into on the trail thinking “Dang that guy is ************. I wanna be like him.” I'm all of 33 years old at the point of this story and that van looks damn good. It's funny how things change. I never understood RV's until now. Looking back to one particular night on Hobbes near Teton Pass, in the driving rain in the not so distant past, I was happier outside with my bottle of whiskey and my buddy as we looked in on a bunch of spoiled rich kids watching a movie in a $100k fifth wheel. We were in it, man! Screw those kids and shame on their parents for only kind of getting them outside.

Funny how things change. That moment in the City of Rocks was the first moment in my life that I really yearned for something more comfortable than schmancy backpacking gear. I wanted a Sprinter and it is a dangerous and expensive path to head down if you are not prepared for what you may find. This was a big moment in my life. Things changed in me and I can't point to many pivotal moments in time where something like this has happened in my life. That I can remember at least.

All of a sudden I started to notice Sprinters. I started to notice Sportsmobiles. Hell, I even started to notice Econolines. I get obsessed with things. I go balls deep whenever I get into something and it tends to come in phases. Let's take rafting for example. It was my most recent obsession and money drain prior to going down the van wormhole.

Boy meets girl. Girl is a ************ rafter. Boy needs raft. Boy blows $8k (that he probably shouldn't have as new small business owner). Boy can now go rafting cause he has the gear. This past summer and spring was making tons of day trips on high water Payette, Lochsa Big Water Blowout, Jarbidge/Bruneau R2 (glad to be alive), Grande Ronde, SELWAY and Main Salmon. Simply put, I got after it.,

I find some new shiny object and devote all my time and money to it. Gallivanter is the same thing. It has consumed my free time and money over the past year, but yet it is something more than a raft. A van allows me to do many activities, in many places, with many people. Maybe that is special thing about a van. It's the possibilities. You can do anything.

More later...

Right on. Rock on! Will read. :)

I'm stoked you are the first person to reply to my new thread. You have commanded one heck of a life and I am really happy I had the chance to meet you in person. You are the definition of "work hard, play hard". Much respect with what you have accomplished in your life and also in your vehicle building career. Hopefully you'll enjoy my babbling's here and I will end up building a rig that can sit next to Ute II with pride.

Less words. More pictures. :********:

Looking forward to the read.

Where are you located? Why is the van immobile?

I'm in Boise, ID and the van is immobile due to lack of money and sand in the vagina when it comes to working outside in single degree temps with a foot of snow. Oh, and I make most all of my money as a small business owner selling used skis in Nov and Dec so I have had to work a fair amount in the recent past. Promise to post lots of pretty pictures as time goes on though. Pinky swear.

OOOOO... I had Grand offer for February. Jealous you have had that many trips. My GF has made two private trips rowing her own rig. She is more bad-*** than I am in many ways. BTW, The Emerald Mile is phenomenal book if you haven't read it. If you've done that many trips, you'll probably know some of the players. I've at least rappelled into Lower Water Holes Canyon and floated down the Colorado in itty bitty blow up boats. We took out at Glenn's, but still had to rappel 300ft into the canyon to get there in the first place. I need to go down that river......

Jsweezy

Explorer
I love this thread already! Maybe its because misery loves company, or because I love a good comeback story, but I am excited to see what you will have had to go through to get to your final destination.

Next time I am in Nampa I will have to stop by to see the van...and Shenrie's van... and Brian94ht's ************ rig... Geez, what's in the water in Boise?!

gtbensley

Explorer
Pictures of the build!!!! I loved following and reading your of your adventures on ADV Rider, looking forward to doing the same here. Is it correct that you no longer have the bike?

Jb1rd

Explorer
Great thread BCP!!! Funny to hear people talk about Boise then hear/read Nampa being thrown out there, my family is from Payette, I was born in Caldwell, we used to go to McCall and Brundage, Boise was the "BIG CITY" lol I have not been in many, many years, time to go pay the old homestead a visit. I share your sentiment about not having the stones to work in the snow and cold, mine is born out of tooooooo many days doing the same as you, breaking my back laying tile and stone just over the hill in Vail. There is nothing more depressing than walking into yet another lame Mt. McMansion to set tile in subzero temps, saws and buckets frozen, fingers numb to the point of wondering if the feeling would ever come back, nope, no sir don't like it, not one bit!!!! Your story could be coming from my own head it sounds so familiar, the obsession, the relentless drive, the craziness of it all, maybe it is a van thing :) yeah that's it, I shall blame the van :)

stormlover

Adventurer
OOOOO... I had Grand offer for February. Jealous you have had that many trips. My GF has made two private trips rowing her own rig. She is more bad-*** than I am in many ways. BTW, The Emerald Mile is phenomenal book if you haven't read it. If you've done that many trips, you'll probably know some of the players. I've at least rappelled into Lower Water Holes Canyon and floated down the Colorado in itty bitty blow up boats. We took out at Glenn's, but still had to rappel 300ft into the canyon to get there in the first place. I need to go down that river......

Yes, Emerald Mile is a good read. Although the Dory boatman river god motif is a bit nauseating. I did, however, have the pleasure of working with Kenton on 4 or 5 river trips in the 90s and that dude was the real deal.

Pictures of the build!!!! I loved following and reading your of your adventures on ADV Rider, looking forward to doing the same here. Is it correct that you no longer have the bike?

I still have Hobbes. In fact he will be in my next post as this story moves along. I was going to sell him to help finance the van project, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. There were many reasons, but I have put almost 40k miles on that bike since I bought it brand new. Honestly it would make sick to sell it for $5k-$6k with all the history and the thread, but that is all it's worth. It's long ago paid off and I certainly couldn't replace it for what I would sell it for. So, yeah it's kind of a garage queen, but I am not sure if I will ever sell it.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Good to see the thread up and running. I think the pic in the original post is great but I think you need to update it to include the snow.
Looks like I have some reading to do over the break to catch up with the ADVrider part of your life.

galliVANteer :costumed-smiley-007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz