Gallivanter: An Ominous Beginning and an Optimistic Future

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Onward!

The first thing to know is making sure the TC is set in far enough. Every youtube video I have watched on these things says to make sure the TC is fully seated. You need to hear and feel three clunks as it goes in. If you don't and install it all the way, that's bad ummmm kay? If you don't, the pump will supposedly get seriously damaged and you'll probably need a new TC as well.
Next thing I learned, (well I learned it on the way out actually, but now it is a bigger deal going in), the tranny is too tall to be on the tranny jack all secure (kind of) and rolled under the van. I didn't have jacks that got the rocker panel high enough so the bell housing would clear. That sucks. I had to slide the tranny under the van using cardboard, and then rednecking/holding beers and watching ensued. Except nobody was watching. But I was definitely drinking.

So here's what I did. OSHA look away for a minute. I rigged up ratchet straps over cross members to get the tranny off the ground. I believe this is where there may or may not have been a clang of the TC falling out and hitting the ground. Then there was combination of jacks and straps and swearing and grunting. I finally got the damn thing on the transmission jack under the van.

I assume you got it in with out crushing your chest and/or skull.

I hate those transmission jacks. Complete waste of money. After having an SM465/NP205 combo (super heavy cast iron '70s transmisison and transfercase combo) fall off a ****ty transmission jack while doing a solo clutch job in the driveway, I came up with a much safer/easier/faster system. Typically, you can't fit the jack and transmission under the truck/van easily.
1. $10 furniture dolly (the flat 4 caster style) makes rolling transmission under the vehicle easier. Dirt/gravel/no dolly? cardboard/plywood and slide it into position.

2. Three (3) heavy duty ratchet straps (arranged perpendicular to the frame) to support the transmission. (Like a sling or a hammock)

3. Use a combination of ratchet straps and/or floor jack to raise transmission into position (1 strap front, 1 middle, 1 rear)

4. Use three (3) ratchet straps you can adjust the length of the third strap (as the ratchet mechanism will need to be adjusted as it takes up too much strap) as the other two keep the transmission from falling on your head.

5. Use two long bolts with the heads cut off as guide dowels to help align the transmission. The straps allow for some wiggle to jostle/wrestle it into position. Once you have the other bolts aligned lightly threaded in, remove the dowel guide bolts and replace with the correct transmission bolts.

I've used this on quite a few driveway transmission (manual and automatic) installs and it works very well.

Carry on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles