Thread: shouldbeasy's 'home away from home' 2017 4x4 Sprinter build

Sweet nice to see some one a couple of hours away...looking at the same rig ...or close enough. Why the heck dont m.b. use abbreviations for upgrades that actually makes some sence to the actual upgrades...things like vcp for heated seats...im worried the sales guys will flub it up

Quote Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
    Sweet nice to see some one a couple of hours away...looking at the same rig ...or close enough. Why the heck dont m.b. use abbreviations for upgrades that actually makes some sence to the actual upgrades...things like vcp for heated seats...im worried the sales guys will flub it up
    The van guy I dealt with ONLY deals with vans - hard to mess it up when that's the only product that he deals with! If he did he would't be too good as his job!

Also, lots of updates to the main page - links provided to a lot of the items purchased.
    Last edited by shouldbeasy; 02-28-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4

For the fresh water system: I'm looking at ~500l tank. Its a lot I know (also not sure on the gvw of your van but I'm looking at the 5t variants), but I really like not having to worry about water supplies on the road. Grey I'd suggest something much smaller,, ~50-90l with an electronic gate valve to empty it with ease over drains etc. Sling the grey under the van with some trace heating frost protection, no need for it to take up valuable real estate inside (again, that's my plan).
    Drinking water: I have used nature pure system in the past and it has been excellent, no need for separate tank. This connects to main tank, and is dispensed through drinking water faucet at the sink.
    Toilet: cassette is an excellent system, but remember to build in storage for a second spare cassette. I'm planning a stainless steel shower tray with a decent up-stand to make up the bathroom floor, and just sitting the toilet on top of that (then fitting teak boards around it). Easy and robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton2k3 View Post
    For the fresh water system: I'm looking at ~500l tank. Its a lot I know (also not sure on the gvw of your van but I'm looking at the 5t variants), but I really like not having to worry about water supplies on the road. Grey I'd suggest something much smaller,, ~50-90l with an electronic gate valve to empty it with ease over drains etc. Sling the grey under the van with some trace heating frost protection, no need for it to take up valuable real estate inside (again, that's my plan).
    Drinking water: I have used nature pure system in the past and it has been excellent, no need for separate tank. This connects to main tank, and is dispensed through drinking water faucet at the sink.
    Toilet: cassette is an excellent system, but remember to build in storage for a second spare cassette. I'm planning a stainless steel shower tray with a decent up-stand to make up the bathroom floor, and just sitting the toilet on top of that (then fitting teak boards around it). Easy and robust.
    Thanks for the suggestions - are you concerned with that amount of water sloshing around and affecting the center of gravity of the van and stability? I went with the most mobile platform of Sprinter and thus won't be loading it with extremely heavy choices of items. Weight is definitely a consideration in every purchase.

I'm also planning the same style of shower as I have a friend who can purchase stainless steel for me and I'll get him to bend it as well. Should work fantastic with a teak floor. Sounds like we're thinking along the same lines for the bathroom / wet room set up.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Took delivery of the van about a month ago now - not many km's on it but the modifications are starting!

Had the vehicle for about 4 hours and already had the dash and doors apart for speaker replacement - learned a lot about the construction of the van and how everything is attached with Torx screws. Certainly glad I have experience with the 4Runner in doing serious modifications as it has given me the confidence to move forward with this rig.

I think it was day 4 that I had put the 4" hole saw to the fender for the snorkel install - measure twice and cut once! With the supplied template it's quite easy to get it all aligned and thankfully it bolted up without an issue - I realized afterwards that I used steel rivnuts for the fasteners and so I'll be changing them out to stainless steel soon enough (waiting for my ebay order to arrive).

Before I get too crazy with offroading I knew I wanted to protect the paint from rock chips and scratches the best I could - so I hit up the local NanoCeramic Coating applicator (ZR Auto in Calgary - they do an AMAZING job, can't recommend them enough) and they applied 4 coats of 9H coating to the van along with Suntek paint protection film all over the front, above the windshield onto the roof and the headlights as well - lastly I had them apply a windshield protector called Clearplex as I don't ever want to change this windshield - holy **** it's huge.

Here is the album (will be ever growing I think) and also a few pictures of the Sprinter and the Fiesta ST it will be towing around!

Snorkel Install Pictures

Last edited by shouldbeasy; 08-05-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Installed my CRL Laurence window on the passenger sliding door - relatively straight forward installation. Lots of trial fits to ensure that I was taking material out of the right spots - got it to seal no problem (I think... a real rain storm will truly tell!) and it sure holds tight. Happy with the fit and finish.

Starting to cut

Using glazing pucks on the outside while I cut from the inside

Cut out complete

Window installed!

CRL Laurence for the win!

CRL Laurence T Vent open

CRL Laurence T Vent open side profile

Also got around to installing my Chip Express tuning module as it arrived on Friday and since it's a straight forward installation I was able to make it happen on my lazy day. 20 mins later and its installed! It will bump me up about 30hp and 50 ft*lbs on setting one and up to 51hp and 91 ft*lbs on setting 3. Should be good for when I get my little Fiesta ST hooked up and am towing through some mountains! I have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow to Montana to collect parts, I'm very interested to see how it runs.

Tuning Module

Fuel Rail Sensor

Fuel Rail Sensor Close Up

Tuning Module Wiring Harness

Tuning Moduel Wiring Harness # 2

Family photo!
    Last edited by shouldbeasy; 08-05-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Time for some progress updates!

I have wired in my secondary battery disconnect switch - shuts off power to the van so it's 'dead in the water' so to speak. Hard to steal when you can't figure out why it doesn't have power!

So, some pictures of that set up:

BlueSea Battery Disconnect

Ring Terminals with heat shrink

Ring Terminals Connected to the Switch

Wire exposed for Wire-to-Wire connector

Stock Battery Wiring Cut - Negative Post

Wire-to-Wire Connector (one end)

Wire-to-Wire Connector

Wire-to-Wire Connector

Wire-to-Wire Connector - sheath protection

Wire-to-Wire Connector - completed

Negative Post Marine Terminal

Negative Post Wiring Complete

Next up is my BlueSea fuse block, Bussman 100A breaker and Hella relay block wired in where the secondary battery used to be. I'm making an aluminum plate for them to sit on and it should bolt up. I need to get it wired in as I'd like to have both of my cameras going (front and rear) and they require a secondary power source. In order for them to not be powered all the time I have tapped in to a fuse block under the driver seat which seems to come on only when the ignition is on. So, that can trigger a relay and I can use the output for it for all of my low power draw items such as switch power, cameras etc.
    Last edited by shouldbeasy; 08-05-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Update time!

First off, I'll start with my seats - I purchased a set of Recaro ERGOMED ES from a vendor on eBay called 'carpartzz' who is located in Germany close to the Recaro factory and creates custom seats that Recaro can't / won't create.

So thankfully I was able to get the seats in a lovely brown leather which, in my mind, classes up the inside of the van a bit. The seats themselves are amazing - the cooling function doesn't work that well but I'm not so concerned as I may upgrade the fans to improve the air flow. I purchased the seats for their range of adjustment and it paid off in spades - the ability to adjust the seat so that it takes the pressure of my back and also supporting my lumbar section is amazing. Add in the arm rests and I could not be happier - these should last the life of the vehicle easily.

On to the install! I had to weld up some brackets for not only the seat belt buckle but also the seat swivels.

Next on my 'hit list' was adding in some sound deadening. Couple observations while driving on gravel: 1.) the van is super loud (as expected) and the metal flexes around while going over washboard and also reflects the sound of all the gravel rock 'pings' as they hit the underside of the van. 2.) the stock tires throw rocks like mad! I was towing a small trailer and had the rocks ricochet off of the trailer and into the rear window... So now I'm out $400 and already have to replace a window on a brand new van. Bugger!! I'll be adding film protection to the rear doors and the rear windows!

Sound deadening pictures:

Passenger door - I actually overdid the boundaries and when I installed the door panel I cut back the Dynamat so that it doesn't show around the door. There was more metal showing normally than I had thought!

Picture of the rear of the van with the Dynamat installed - and my nice cardboard window.

Passenger side - completed the driver side as well but didn't take pictures

Center tunnel and battery cover

B-Pillar

Sliding door

Last edited by shouldbeasy; 08-10-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

At this point I've had my awning installed for a month or so but didn't have the exterior support brackets installed - while having the interior apart for Dynamat I decided it was best to make use of the time for adding the brackets.

Having a nice large backing plate was critical so that the supports wouldn't pull through the thin sheet metal of the body

Add in some black silicone for sealant

Next was wiring up a fuse block and relay system for powering the cameras (front and back) along with the seats. Gotta start somewhere and it was apparent that these two items needed some fused power that wasn't available!

If you're ever installing a bunch of welding cable for powering various things (winches, solar etc) I would HIGHLY recommend getting one of these lug crimping tools - it has saved me a whole bunch of time and effort connecting ring terminals.

Fuse block power running from an OEM location - worked great!

Ran the power cable from the center console under the dash and out the firewall - I do love me some wire loom!

Power and camera wires from the rear ran down the A-Pillar

Rear camera

Passenger seat power - I originally only ran one line for the seats but due to the power use (one seat blows a 20A fuse) I'll have to run a second 12G wire dedicated to the passenger seat.

One of the best ideas I saw was using the label maker and clear heat shrink to label all my wires - super handy when I have to make the aluminum block removable for when I want to add another relay circuit! WeatherPack connectors are also amazing - worth every penny (bit cheaper when you buy them bulk off Amazon).

Hella relay block

BlueSea fuse block

Bussman 100A breaker
    Last edited by shouldbeasy; 08-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

That is a lot of sound proofing - How much quieter is it? Worth the effort?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast