Thread: shouldbeasy's 'home away from home' 2017 4x4 Sprinter build

Quote Originally Posted by ianc View Post
    That is a lot of sound proofing - How much quieter is it? Worth the effort?
    I did mine in all dynamat and did brown bread too, difference was remarkable I could carry on a conversation with the back seat passengers from driving

Quote Originally Posted by ianc View Post
    That is a lot of sound proofing - How much quieter is it? Worth the effort?
    WAAAAAY better than without it! Before when I would drive down a gravel road it would rattle and sound like an empty tin can (imagine that!!) and with the sound deadening it seems like all the high frequency noises (rocks hitting the fender liners) are muted and in general its a lot quieter. I purchased another box of sound deadening for the roof and maybe the floor too... I love this stuff and find it makes a big difference overall.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
    I did mine in all dynamat and did brown bread too, difference was remarkable I could carry on a conversation with the back seat passengers from driving
    What's brown bread? Insulation of some sort? I plan on using Roxul for my insulation as it won't go moldy and is flame resistant (or just won't burn, can't remember).
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Here are a few pre-lift pictures that I took - unfortunately I didn't take any measurements so I don't know where I started but I can certainly take some after measurements for everyone's reference. Also, as I sit here writing this at the dealership waiting for the wheel alignment I can also go and park next to a stock vehicle and take a couple photos.

Anyways, one to the pictures!

While having my 4Runner offroad and needing to lift it in the air to change a tire I've realized how precariously balanced a hi-lift can be - when it came to lifting this beast in the air I decided to go another route (although I will still carry a hi-lift for its various other uses and back-up). I purchased the ARB X-Jack and gave it a trial run in the driveway - very happy with the performance as it raises the vehicle in a very controlled manner and dropping it is just as smooth. Always make sure to chock the wheels! I had the van roll forward on me and land on the rear axle... Whoops!! No harm, no foul, lesson learned... Also, having the tires that you removed placed under the vehicle when it's on stands is a good habit to have - better to have it land on the wheels than directly on the ground.

Front suspension torn apart

Van Compass 2.5" lift spacers

Healthy coating of Cop-R-Cote on all the bolts (except caliper and wheel studs) as rust is NOT my friend!!

Brake line protection - they don't fit back in the stock mounting location on the body so when I zip tied them back I wanted something between them and the body - a bit of spare tubing did the trick.

Front spacers and additional Fox shock installed

Starting on the rear - chock your wheels!!!

Rear leaf spring, replacement shock and extended sway bar end links installed

Love these rooster guards from Fox - they should do a decent job of protecting the shock shafts so I don't end up having to rebuild them due to the shafts being completely pitted! Managed to get them installed front and rear.

On to the trimming - the rear was easy - I just removed the stock mudflap and used the stock mounting location to secure the Long John mud flap from Husky on to the body and then used some autobody clips to secure it to the fender. There is just barely enough material for the clips to work but they seem to be holding tight! I think the mud flaps look pretty awesome...

Showing how much material I removed - I always purchase the longest flap so I have more material than I need and just cut it to size.

These are the autobody clips I used on the fender - this one is a bit crooked but you can see how much I trimmed off - making sure it grabs the fender but doesn't protrude out past it on the exterior nor push it out so far that it doesn't engage anymore.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Front mud flaps - showing how much I cut off the stock flap. Once I removed the screws and it was obvious that the mud flap was part of the moulding I decided I had to keep it as the body lines would look odd otherwise. So, I ended up mounting the Long John mud flap to the stock one and it worked quite well.

Stainless steel hardware and loc-nuts to secure the Long John to the stock mud flap - even though they shouldn't rust, Cop-R-Cote is your friend!

Finished!

Next to my 4Runner also on 35" tires

As mentioned, sitting at the stealership now so I'll take some more photos today - comparing it against a stock 4x4 Sprinter and then just a bit of a photo shoot in general. I really, REALLY, need to wash this thing...
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

I'm loving this build!!

love seeing these Euro vans getting modded and converted, but I'm bias as I'm building a 2017 VW LWB camper van build myself

it sits up high now!!! don't forget to report in the new suspension upgrade and how it handles

Look is very nice, good job

Quote Originally Posted by Wyuna View Post
    I'm loving this build!!

love seeing these Euro vans getting modded and converted, but I'm bias as I'm building a 2017 VW LWB camper van build myself

it sits up high now!!! don't forget to report in the new suspension upgrade and how it handles
    Thanks! I'm in love with the stance... it's burly!

Fortunately I'm a tall guy (6'3") so its not so odd when I climb out of the van - and of course it's in Alberta so I don't stand out too much among the lifted Dodge 3500's and Ford F-350's.

The van is at the dealership for the weekend as they ran in to issues with the vehicle on the lift before mine so it will be aligned Tuesday (Holiday Monday). Can't wait to go drive this thing around a bit more!
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Jostt View Post
    Thanks!! Thankfully I learned a lot with modding my 4Runner so cutting up this rig comes a bit easier.
    2014 Fiesta ST

2001 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Jostt View Post
    Looks really really nice!!!!! Love it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast