1991 Isuzu Trooper LS - 2.8L Auto - It begins....

SFP

Long time lurker....

And can finally say we have a project to start.

The build platform is a 1991 Isuzu Trooper LS a.k.a. Gordon The Intrepid Trooper.

It has the 2.8L with an automatic transmission. Mileage is at 253301 km. He's rough, but he has been taken care of. He's an estate sale.

The Good:
- rebuilt diffs front and rear (under 5000 km)
- rebuilt transfer-case (under 5000 km)
- rebuilt transmission (service rebuild aka proactive) (under 12000 km)
- glass is all good
- new Philips Crystal Vision Ultra bulbs on the headlights
- brand new wipers (I installed)
- aftermarket speakers
- aftermarket 31X10.50 R15 LT At tires
-- which I assume means there is a lift installed????
- rear bumper is only 2 years old
- body is in fair shape with some rust (see below)
- starts every time, runs smooth
- aftermarket 2" exhaust dual system. Straight pipe comes from exhaust manifold straight back to rear axle followed by performance mufflers and exit pipe.
-- downside is, the O2 sensor has been disconnected and needs to be repaired.

The Bad:
- one rocker panel is rusted through
- the aftermarket tires are weathered from sitting and aren't in great shape, so it needs new tires
- passenger rear shock is shot
- all four rotors have rust and light pitting
- front wheel bearing have a bit of play
- front idler has play
- no heat inside (just blows)
- A/C needs to be recharged/repaired
- windshield wiper controls are touchy
- brake light stays on (dash that is)
- leaking coolant, suspect thermostat needs replacing and possibly water pump
- O2 sensor has been disconnected and needs to be repaired
- side windows have some rattle. Suspect it means they just need new seals. Advice?

He rides nice even as is, so I can only imagine how much better it will be once a few issues are addressed.

Good news is, I'm handy with doing my own work. Better news is, I have some good friends who happen to own engine shops, fab shops, and parts. So I get parts reasonable and labor is virtually free (or I can barter commercial photography services).

Questions:

1. Any way I can determine how much lift it has? It's running 31X10.50R15 tires currently with zero issues, so I assume it has some.

2. Anyone know of or ever do a "camperbox" mod? What I am thinking of here is cutting from the start of back door and removing the entire rear, and building something like an ambulance "van-box" to mount up to the truck. I've seen it done with a number of Land Rovers and Jeeps, just never seen a Trooper done up.

3. Any suggestions for mounting (outside of cabin) a dual 6V battery box?

4. Manual Warn Hubs - Anything better or is this what I should stay with if I like my Warn hardware?

5. Old Man Emu Shocks and parts. Anyone in Canada stock or bring this stuff in? Or is ARB Seattle my best bet?

6. DIY/custom front bumpers? Suggestions? I love the look and build quality of the ARB but it is so not in the budget. That being said, I have designed stuff for friends ove rthe years and I can weld and machine with shop access.. so will more than likely build my own.

7. Brake parts. Anyone in Canada? Does anyone make slotted rotors for this truck?

8. Tires. Here's my thing. I like traction in wet weather. I live in the Pacific Northwest so we get a lot of rain. Which also means mud (but I don't want a MT), and it will also see snow. My tire guy can get me a really fair price on BF Goodwich AT KO2. I also personally like the Yokohama Geolander ATs. And I hear the Cooper Discovery 3 AT is good. The next set of skins to go onto this rig will be going on the 15" alloys. This will see off road including mild rock work. Additionally when I load up with gear for the two of us, plus camera gear and camping gear it adds up. Should I stick with a C rating or go to something that can carry a heavier load? Later I want to goto a 16" Rancher (Wagon Wheel) but to save costs right now, sticking with factory rims.

9. Stock fuel range. Anyone have any idea roughly what I should expect for distance on a tank of gas? I assume it is at least a 20G (75L) tank, but if I am wrong, please correct me.

10. Aftermarket Axles. Anyone using cro-moly aftermarket axles in their rig? Something like what Yukon Gear makes?

11. Shift-kits and aftermarket transmission - anything exist? In Canada?

12. What's the deal with the Planet Isuzoo? Can't seem to sign up.

13. Braided stainless steel brake lines - do they exist?

14. Is the pre-94 Land Rover snorkel the best fit or has someone started making one (a snorkel) that I can order?

I've been reading up on these for a while now. Read everything I can find online about the 2.8L and the recommended (and proven) upgrade path for the engine. See lots all saying basically the same regarding the engine, but what about the transmissions? There are some inspiring build threads out there including a number on here.

Planned next steps.

1. Replace front wheel bearings (inner and outter) on both wheels.
2. Replace both front idler arms.
3. Bilstein 4600 shocks for the rear end.
4. Install a new thermostat, water pump and new upper & lower rad hoses.
5. New set of NGK plugs
6. K&N air filter

Open to advise. Will add photos and more within a day or two.

Sincerely,
Scott

82DATSUN4X4

Some owners claim to fit 33in tires on a stock trooper, no "lift kit" is needed, they gain lift by just crank the torsion bars. I doubt yours is lifted...

outofrshell

Adventurer
This is how I put 2 batteries in my 89 Trooper
First was cutting and fabbing a recess in the fender

Next build a battery tray and remount charcoal can

This does require removing the air intake hose bracket but it can be secured back by the cowling

This is about 2" lift

SFP

Yeah I was thinking about that spot. Tight though....

Thank you for the photos and reply.

SFP

Here are a few camper-box examples of what I am thinking of possibly doing.

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 451
  • n311coj_lrg1.jpg
    n311coj_lrg1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 31
  • cad773c78368f67b2f375e73e4f60683.jpg
    cad773c78368f67b2f375e73e4f60683.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 452

SFP

As mentioned, here are a couple of photos.

These were taken just prior to him getting insured and on the road.

The rig had been sitting just over a year. So it needed some basic TLC when we first got him home.

Attachments

• SFP_9462-R1-FBR.jpg
    SFP_9462-R1-FBR.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 36
  • SFP_9466-R1-FBR.jpg
    SFP_9466-R1-FBR.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 40

SFP

Yeah.... looking at your rig, I am going to suggest that maybe I don't have a lift. At best was only thinking of a couple of inches being added.

SFP

On the question of brakes and rotors...

Research wise, these are what I come up with. Power Stop and Hawk Performance - never heard of or used either.

Not sure if I can even get these in Canada, but so far about the best I can find. Anyone have any experience with either company?

I am liking the look the of the Power Stop kit (comes with pads).
Power Stop
http://www.powerstop.com/product/po...=ISUZU&mo=TROOPER&ss=From 10/91 - without ABS

Hawk Performance (at Amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Perform...74-9-2--18-2-0&sr=1-12&ymm=1991:isuzu:trooper

Speaking of Amazon... anyone ever use them for hard to find parts? I am so so so about supporting my local guys being a small biz owner myself, but no in Victoria stocks or lists anything for brakes (maybe the big GM dealer???)

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
4. Warn hubs are excellent, stay with them. Aisin or Warn are the way to go.

10. None available that I know of.

SFP

Tires

As mentioned above I am a quirky tire guy. For me tires are first a safety thing. They need to stop well, and that includes in the rain. They also have to hold the road well, but they should last as well.

I've used the KO2's on other trucks and have had one pair of the Yoko's in the past (on a Jeep Liberty). The Hercules I can get the best deal on through my engine guy, but my tire guy can get me a killer deal on the KO2s.

Size wise I am happy with what is on the Trooper currently (31X10.50 R15 LT). And admittedly I do plan on going to a 16" rim once I get the OME suspension kit installed (want to put a 2" lift into him) - but that is 6 to 12 months off at the earliest due to money. So given I do plan on upgrading down the road to a larger rim size, tires bought at this time are a solution to a problem today.

Anyone have any feedback on how said tires (listed below) work on a Trooper?

The narrowed down selection...

BF Goodrich A/T KO2
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-selector/name/all-terrain-t-a-ko2-tires

Cooper Discoverer A/T3
http://ca.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-T3.aspx

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_s

Hercules Terra Trac T/G Max
http://www.herculestire.com/tire-ga...t-truck/light-truck/terra-trac-tg-max/#loaded

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
On top of that, cranked torsion bars are good for looks... but that is it. I feel like we all have to learn that lesson the hard way, I know I did on my Ranger.

It actually works pretty well on Isuzus, especially the later models that have longer control arms. My 95 Trooper has 3" of suspension lift via torsion bar crank, and still rides pretty good. Much higher than that though, and things start to get dicey.

Now, first gen Troopers like the OP have shorter control arms, but still can handle a 2" lift without much problem.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
hey there ive got an 88 trooper with 2.6 and a rodeo 97 with 3.2 love them both for separate reasons . im on the planet with the same screen name there

SFP

hey there ive got an 88 trooper with 2.6 and a rodeo 97 with 3.2 love them both for separate reasons . im on the planet with the same screen name there

Thanks for the msg. Just finished reading your Trooper build. Nice. Your body is in so so much better shape than what we're starting with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles