Pinzgauer 718M Overland vehicle build - Costa Fabrications

RDC76

Adventurer
Hi all, I usually post in the North East section and Land cruiser sections but this looks like a good spot to share this build. I just imported a 1988 Pinzgauer 718M TD to outfit for overland use and thought I would share the build here. Truck is in fantastic condition and in my opinion is one of the best base platforms to build into an expedition vehicle that could literally take you around the globe! I searched all over to find the best rust free, left hand drive example i could to start with. And found her in Europe...stay tuned to see the build as it develops.. I'm a custom fabricator and do have a couple other builds going as well along with my bespoke land cruiser parts so this will not be an accelerated build. But should be enjoyable none the less if your into these vehicles. Feel free to comment and ask questions as you wish along the way. Check out my Instagram link to see some other examples of my work.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20161209_191815.jpg

ExDementia

Adventurer
Very, very nice! I don't think I've ever seen a Pinz in that clean of condition! There used to be a dealership near me that imported and sold them, but even theirs weren't this nice.

So what are your plans for it so far?

RDC76

Adventurer
Very, very nice! I don't think I've ever seen a Pinz in that clean of condition! There used to be a dealership near me that imported and sold them, but even theirs weren't this nice.

So what are your plans for it so far?

Thanks, I honestly haven't seen one this clean either, inside and out. The rear bed floors are perfect. And she drives nicer than my 80! Makes for a great starting point. Plans for it right now....The tires are brand new BFG's. The truck has had a nose conversion to accommodate for a larger radiator and the addition of an intercooler. The box behind the battery box is fitted with a separate cooling system for the transmission and it is no longer connected to the radiator for the engine. It has a nice remote controlled cd stereo with Bluetooth and hands fee phone capability. Additional lighting and pull down flexible map light all fitted to a nice overhead console. On-board air system with remote mounted stainless steel quick connects for air hoses. I might re-spool the winch with synthetic line. As far as the body structure I'm still looking at different configurations and setups possible within the budget. But so far I'm thinking maybe making Two rear bolt on hard top sections that mate together. So it could be run as a half pickup or full covered back and also make it easier to handle than one large hard top. possibly setting up the midsection as the Live zone or living/working area and building the rear section out like an Aussie style trayback with all the storage one would need, or vise versa? It will have cooking provisions and food storage (fridge/freeze) as well as integrated water storage. I have not decided on a solar setup yet. And I will probably do a low profile rack over the cab and some under armor, lighting. Sleeping setup is still in the air. I'm also looking at raising the tail lights and contouring the lower back corners as they are good for nothing but getting snagged when climbing and off road, also aesthetics wise looks TOO square from behind. But we'll see. I've gotten some offers as it sits but none realistic yet. she could go before I get too into it. Ideally someone would buy it and commission me for a full build tailored to their desires. I love building things for others and seeing their excitement the first time they see their vision and ideas turned into reality. And their excitement continue to grow as they inspect and notice all the little details. As a builder its very rewarding. At the moment though I'm still working on the current mog project and just getting familiar with this pinz inside and out before I get started on her.

cheers

Rich

RDC76

Adventurer
Hi And thanks for your inquiry. The truck was bought with the intent to build and sell. But I made a business decision to not invest so much into the vehicle with such a limited market. So it has been gone through and cleaned up for sale and if the new ower wishes to take the vehicle further than it will be an option at that time.. So she has had new fluids, batteries, interior floor matting, dual snow master 42 fridges and a partners steel stove added. As well as some other things. The truck is fairly priced at $58k. you would be hard pressed to find another in this condition with the newer nose to clear the front mount intercooler and with all the other work done in this country.. please contact for a full list and more info if interested. Serious inquiries only please.

Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles