Cedar shiplap pop-up truck cap

callie_alice

I built this little pop up last year and am looking to build version 2.0 pretty soon, opting for a cab-over version with a steel frame this time.

This one was framed with 2x2s, foam board insulation and tyvek wrap, cedar fencing on the outside and plywood interior. I've had some moisture issues (PNW winter, it's inevitable) mostly from condensation from breathing at night. Unfortunately I'm pretty sensitive to mold so am scrapping it. Biggest point of version 2.0 is to fix this issue.

I'm in the planning process for version 2.0. I would like to build it as a T-top style pop up so that there is more standing room. My idea is to weld the frame out of square steel tubing, and use flashing to create the bottom half of the slide-in style camper, then insulate and frame in tiny-house style.

Anyway, here are some shots of Version 1.0. I plan to still do a wood exterior for round 2, but create it as a rain screen this time to decrease potential for water damage, which is also why I'm opting for slide in, as the connection point of the cap to the truck bed was impossible to completely keep water out.

IMG_1792.jpgIMG_0023.jpgIMG_1795.jpgIMG_0417.jpgIMG_0522.jpgIMG_1965.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I seem to recall a similar one on YouTube..interested to see how your build progresses...my build (link below) doesn't really see much water intrusion even with less than stellar overlapping seals but a quick refresh of mine a little wider on the front would make it much more water tight at speed...

My biggest issue is the talc dust I get in thru the back window bottom seal as my ram has a lip and a piano hinge that needs a dust flap..

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Nice work. I am worried about your weight. A slide in and metal will weigh a lot more. Good luck with build!

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
Nice work. I am worried about your weight. A slide in and metal will weigh a lot more. Good luck with build!
x2

Check out the hybrid composite construction of many of the builds on the ttnt forum.tnttt.com/
Thin ply or glass skins on foam with light wood framing is the lightest build method for your skill level. They do take some design thought to pull off successfully but the skill level is only a bit above your V 1.0. Moe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke