A Brief Foray onto the Olympic Peninsula

jhberria

Adventurer
Another local Nissan guy (driving a yellow 1st Gen, El Bandito Amarillo) trekked out to the Olympic Peninsula on the 23rd and 24th to camp and do some high country snow exploration.

We made our way to our camp site on the shores of the Skokomish River in the darkness, narrowly avoiding a herd of elk in the trail on the way in. Apologies, no photos of the elk herd.

Camp site wasn't bad, though. Neither were the views waking up.

Packing the X up in the morning for some visually-stimulating snow rompage.

On Christmas Eve, our goal was to reach Upper Elk Lake in the Olympics through Washington Pass from Lake Cushman. We made it about a mile up the mountain from the south, but the snow got too slick and the incline too steep. It would have been irresponsible to keep going. Instead, we pursued an alternate route to the lake from the north along Jefferson Creek. The snow was just as deep, but the climbs were more mild. Airing down, 4wd, and good tires carried us all the way to the our desired destination. This was immensely rewarding for two reasons. Firstly, we went further than anyone else had been in days, as evidenced by the lack of tire tracks in the snow for the last few miles of our journey. Secondly.....the scenery.

Taken by my buddy in El Bandito Amarillo...

After a few hours of joyous tribulations...Upper Elk Lake.

It was a fun Holiday trip.

JSteffey

Haven't been up there in years. Photos looked great. My brother just picked up an Xterra last week and we are planning a trip at the end of January. What brand/model bumper is on the grey one?

jhberria

Adventurer
Haven't been up there in years. Photos looked great. My brother just picked up an Xterra last week and we are planning a trip at the end of January. What brand/model bumper is on the grey one?

Thanks! The dark colored one is mine and it's an ARB bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz