Basic Map apps iPad for U.S. backroads travel

junglecaptn

I have a an iPad Air 2, wifi only with the latest iOS 10. I intend to use the XGPS 150 receiver. I want real time tracking for my vehicle using the iPad. What is the best map app for this application? Will google maps, google earth work or do I need other app(s)? I used to have the GPS Drive Motion X HD but they have recently deleted that app. I will be driving across the central to western U.S. mostly backroads. I have a device holder for the iPad in my truck for larger visibility and also carry an Sam S7 phone and Garmin GPS. I did not find my answer here on search so thanks for any comments.

Ziv

Observer
Take a look at Avenza Maps. I've been using this app for several years and couldn't be happier. Forest Service maps are free. BLM maps are free. I live in Oregon and ODOT maps are available, free, for every county in the state.
This is a pretty slick app, no bloated features, everything you need, nothing that you don't. By the way, the app is free.

junglecaptn

Thanks for the info. What GPS receiver are you all using to your iPad or other device with wifi only capability? I'm looking at the XGPS 150 receiver which has good reports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior