air powered bottle jacks?

taliv

Observer
that's actually the one i was looking at, debating between the 12 ton and 20 ton models. since the truck is only 4 ton, 12 ton seemed like it would be sufficient.

so you haven't found it to be unreliable, or high maintenance etc? or difficult to use

thanks again

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
that's actually the one i was looking at, debating between the 12 ton and 20 ton models. since the truck is only 4 ton, 12 ton seemed like it would be sufficient.

so you haven't found it to be unreliable, or high maintenance etc? or difficult to use

thanks again

I have 2 of the 20 ton, one that I installed in my shop press and the other that I carry in the Fuso. They have been trouble free. Sounds like the 12 ton would work for you. Like anything at HF wait for sales or use a 25% coupon. I paid $79.99 each for the 20 tons ones.

Marine

Adventurer
I don't see a problem, I have seen our mechanics at my job change out tires on gravel trains pushing 100,000lbs gross. They just throw some 4x4 blocks so it doesn't sink and go at it.

taliv

Observer
yeah, i'm going to have to get a collection of plates or blocks. too bad lego doesn't make some 2x6 sized blocks that would handle 12 tons

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
yeah, i'm going to have to get a collection of plates or blocks. too bad lego doesn't make some 2x6 sized blocks that would handle 12 tons

I have and use a couple of HF air/hydraulic jacks. I find it a lot safer to have the control out from under the vehicle and would recommend using them from that perspective alone.

For blocks. Head to the local metal supply house. The one that does industrial stuff. I picked up a heap of end off cuts from billet aluminum blocks. Some 5x3x8 and some 10x10x1. Basically 59c per pound. Lite weight, no splinters and no corrosion.

For those around Phoenix I use Industrial Metal.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have and use a couple of HF air/hydraulic jacks. I find it a lot safer to have the control out from under the vehicle and would recommend using them from that perspective alone.

For blocks. Head to the local metal supply house. The one that does industrial stuff. I picked up a heap of end off cuts from billet aluminum blocks. Some 5x3x8 and some 10x10x1. Basically 59c per pound. Lite weight, no splinters and no corrosion.

For those around Phoenix I use Industrial Metal.

In the Raleigh-Durham, NC area we have J&D Recyclers. You can go through their yard and buy anything they have at a per-pound rate that is usually crazy cheap (something like wholesale scrap + 50%), even better if you pay cash.

taliv

Observer
ok, follow up questions for those of you who have used the bottle jacks....

1. instructions say (literally) that you need to oil them once or twice a month. seriously?
2. have you used the jack in freezing temps? what is the operating temp range of the jack? I looked in both the manual and googled and found no mention of it
3. playing with the thing in the store, i could pump it up a wee bit, then wander around for 10 min and when i'd come back, it was in the full down position. manual has repeated warnings to put jack stands under it immediately after raising vehicle. so... question is, if you have to have jack stands in addition to the bottle jack, why not just use something that takes up less space?

(2. I just had a friend test one in spokane where it is 2* currently. he said it worked fine. so i sort of expect a lot of "never had a problem" type responses. still curious if some combination of conditions will screw it up though. manual also says to keep the piston dry, which is unlikely to happen in whatever mud/snow i'm in when i need it)

kpredator

Adventurer
air jack

considering a air jack ,I can also use at work.
are you guys using the short or long stroke jack.
they may also call the short one a stubby.
thanks
kp

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have had hit and miss success with the Harbor Fright jacks. Make sure you give them a good workout as soon as you get home. Then keep taking them back until you get a good one. Once you get a good one I have never had any problems.

As for which one. I have both. But that is based on the height of my rig now. The stubby one that worked well before I went from 29" to 43" tires didn't have the stroke to lift a wheel off the ground after the swap.

taliv

Observer
i decided to get the safejack setup. it's smaller and lighter weight. and 6 ton is plenty. no need for 20 ton jack to change a tire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles