2014 G550 Build/Mods

jacksond

Hey guys,
I purchased a 2014 G550 this past summer (black exterior/brown interior)! So far I've had a great time testing it out around Texas on some back roads, plains, and around rivers and creeks! While the vehicle was fully stock, the G had no problem with any obstacle I put before it. However, the challenges thus far haven't been too tough to begin with. Nonetheless, I've begun to equip it for bigger explorations to come in the near future!
First on the list was new all terrain tires. As I do use this as an everyday driver, I decided it was best not to have full on mud tires but a good set of all terrains. I wanted something aggressive and that could handle mud and snow where ever I may be. I ended up choosing the BFG KO2's in 275 70 18 (See third picture) - keeping the stock rims for now. The road noise has not been bad and the ride is very smooth! It does start to get bumpy up around 90ish though. Bearable, but noticeable. Also just don't get in a hurry in this thing to begin with. Enjoy your journey!
I was nervous that with the bigger sized tires (as I saw many others have similar feelings on this forum) so I bought a set of the 50mm coil spacers from Titus on here. I have not yet received those but received notice that they have finally cleared customs and are making there way to me now! Even without the spacers there has been no rubbing of the wheels to this point!
I have also received the Gobi Stealth roof rack and it is fantastic! Got it all installed in one day with the help of a friend holding it steady while i bolted on each clamp. Assembly was straight forward minus one bolt for attaching the rack was a bit hard to reach but fits fantastic and looks great too! I tried driving it without the wind deflector and it whistled anything above 20mph. It took 5 minutes to put on the deflector and actually gives it a more complete look.
Next on the list is a light bar for the roof rack in the front and possibly two smaller ones for the back. Also, the front and back bumpers will get a steel upgrade with a winch thrown on the front.
I will be adding onto the thread as I progress through the mods.
Enjoy!

image2.JPG
stock

image3.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg
new tire sneak peak

4.jpg
BFG KO2's installed

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg
Funny story about this one.. actually the one time I reached the limits. Found a sink hole in the creek. bottomed out. took a tractor strapped to the back to pull it out. Wish it was that easy too. About a 5 hour process, went through 3 towing services until I finally contacted a family member who had a tractor that was capable of getting down on the creek bed where I was. No problems after the fact though! Hardly any water seeped through those solid doors.

IMG_5762.jpg
Gobi roof rack installed. Up in the mountains on a roadtrip. Gobi featured this picture on their instagram!

IMG_5787.jpg
Doing the GWagen TEXAS style:)
Testing the capabilities of the rack. Handled two bales of hay with no problem!

IMG_5851.jpg
Feeling the season with a wreath on the front!

IMG_5950.jpg
Exploring another National Park in Arkansas

Feel free to follow my instagram @jacwagn for more pictures!

MetalDog

Observer
I have a 15 550 and also want to do a front bumper and winch. Not sure who makes one that is also compatible with the Distronic.

jacksond

Nice. Good to see you using it as intended. My wife uses hers as a ranch truck too!

It's plenty capable! Can't let the price tag scare you from using it to its full extent! The guys at Mercedes are stunned every time I bring it in and it's got mud all over it. Not used to seeing that thing get dirty!

jacksond

I have a 15 550 and also want to do a front bumper and winch. Not sure who makes one that is also compatible with the Distronic.

I too am realizing this issue. Found a steel rear bumper with sensors but the only front bumpers I have seen have no sensor slots. Will most likely need to mod #ProjectTime

Last edited:

jacksond

So you don't have any rubbing even at full articulation with the 33's? How about ESP issues?

I don't want to say there is absolutely no rubbing because I haven't tested it to its most extreme limits I believe but I have flexed the front and rear axles in opposite directions and still had no rubbing this far.
I purchased the 50" spring spacers though because it does seem to be quite tight in the wheel well and if you are loading anything it really starts to sit down low. (See the hay and feed picture). Having that extra space in there will ease my mind when doing different maneuvers. Now just to watch for high center of gravity..

ESP kicks on sooner during a quick corner and sometimes when trying to accelerate really fast from a stand still. Basically whenever ESP comes on with stock wheels but just more sensitive. Nothing random or unexpected though.

Last edited:

jacksond

Not the best example but tested the clearance of the tires a bit
No issue here. The angle might make it look like the front passenger tire is hitting the fender but it's not.

IMG_6134.jpg

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Looks great. Can you tell us about the ladder on the truck...brand? Did you have the dealer install it? Also how it integrates with the roof rack.

jacksond

Looks great. Can you tell us about the ladder on the truck...brand? Did you have the dealer install it? Also how it integrates with the roof rack.

The ladder was included in the Gobi Stealth rack package. I installed the rack and ladder on my own with some assistance from a buddy holding the rack over the mounts to bolt on. It is mounted underneath the tail light and also four bolts connected to the roof rack. Extremely sturdy. Shaking the ladder results in shaking the entire truck. No wobbling what so ever. It's also pretty snug to the back of the truck and doesn't stick out like other ladders I've seen.

jacksond

How is the wind noise and the view looking out the sunroof?

I originally installed the rack without the wind deflector and took a test drive around the block. Anything above 15 mph or so had whistling and it progressed as speed did. However, after installing the wind deflector (the part that has "Gobi" on it) there is no wind noise AT ALL! I've taken a couple road trips in it already with the rack and there's no issue with noise.

On the flip side, THE GAS MILEAGE DROPS. I was getting 12-13 mpg and now only get 10-11. That is the one issue I have noticed.

The view from the sunroof is totally unobstructed. It's a metal sunroof so you can't see out if it's not opened. But you can open it as a vent or open it back and there's no problem with that. Looks cool with the rack above it!

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles