mcm4090 Frontier build

mcm4090

Explorer
I am way past do on doing a build thread so it goes.

In 2005 I was in the market to replace my extended cab pick up with a four door truck due to the fact my two boys were older and not getting any smaller. After comparing the current trucks on the market I decided on the Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4X4 with NISMO trim.

A few key features of the truck
-Rear locker
-Fully boxed frame
-Rear disc brakes
-5 channel utili-track system in the bed
-Factory spray-on bedliner
-ABLS (4wheel limited slip)
-storage bens under rear seats
-Flat under belly

This build tread will show how I went from this

557f46262df20e4d0dcafc5531cf876f0_l.jpg

to this

100_3121.jpg

GWNF2008069.jpg

GWNF2008099.jpg

171.jpg

226.jpg

Year 2005
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier
Trim: NISMO
Color: Super Black

Suspension/tires

-ICON 2.5 coilovers
-Automotive Customizers 3-leaf 3" AAL's
-Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
-Performance Accessories 3" body lift
-305/70R16 Toyo Open Country M/T
-American Outlaw Wheels COLT series

Armor

-Shrockworks Sliders
-Shrockworks engine skid
-Shrockworks transmission skid
-Shrockworks transfercase skid
-Black Panther radiator skid
-KMA rear bumper

Drivetrain

-Factory rear locker (M226)
-Titan front diff (M205) with Pathfinder V8 half shafts
-ABLS

Accessories

-Airflow snorkel
-48" hi-lift
-Black Widow utilitrac hi-lift mount
-Home made utilitrac spare tire mount
-Rear tow hook
-Tinted front windows
-Cobra CB
-Replace right rear bed side :oops:
-Trimmed front fenders

Last edited:

mcm4090

Explorer
Rock sliders

Do to the wheel base and size of the truck I decided my first addition would be rock sliders from Shrockworks.
http://www.shrockworks.com/Nissan

I originally had them powder coated metallic silver that match perfectly with the stock rims and with the help from my oldest son we installed them in the drive way.

KBSYfST2naD+hGxQCXcNxvxCdc+4eqc50300.jpg

RUQkkZGw2GYiH5lpTm3enMCKTR+0tpYS0300.jpg

The tube portion of the sliders helps with side impact protection plus it doubles as a step.

iF3396PWIe9ykeEFgK3JC0qfJwz7KCTB0280.jpg

mcm4090

Explorer
After a few outting in the truck and getting high-centered the next purchase was a lift to give the truck a little more hight.

At the time the choices were limited so I went with the basic suspension lift from Automotive Customizers which consist of larger coils and larger shackles.

The small addition give the vechile better range on the trails.:chowtime:

Pictures and video from Crozet,Va.
100_1033.jpg

100_1042.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
You are overdue for this thread :) Thanks for posting.

Do you have both the longer shackles and AAL installed now?

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Pretty sweet. Digging that pic of your silver Fronty mirror imaged of that SHINY black Fronty! Pretty cool.

mcm4090

Explorer
Skid plates

The factory skid plates that come with the NISMO trim are thin and do not offer a lot of protection so I have been slowly adding skid plates from shrockworks 4x4 product to where now I have a complete set.

Pictures form shrockworks web site.
05XterraFull%20UnderbodySkid%20Plates.jpg

05XterraFull%20UnderbodySkid%20Plates2.jpg

mcm4090

Explorer
Hi-lift mount

I have a 48" hi-lift and wanted to mount it to the Utili-Track system in the bed.
What I did was take the mounts that hi-lift sells, and copyed 2k5nismo idea using some u-bolts that I bought at Home Depot to mount them to the factory sliding cleats. I decided to mount it vertically for easy removal.

100_0782.jpg

100_0781.jpg

The great thing about using the cleats is that I can move my hi-lift mount anywhere in the bed, even the floor.

Dave

Explorer
mcm4090 said:
What I did was take the mounts that hi-lift sells, and copyed 2k5nismo idea using some u-bolts that I bought at Home Depot to mount them to the factory sliding cleats. I decided to mount it vertically for easy removal.

What a cool idea!

mcm4090

Explorer
Tires

I bought a set of 5 BFG's KO 285/75R16 from a friend who was doing a SAS on his on his 2005 Xterra. I would have perferred M/T's but the deal he give me I couldn't pass it up.
100_1202.jpg

The front tires did rub the inner wheel well when turning the wheels. I Use a heat gun to form the wheel well took care of the problem.
100_1200.jpg

Last edited:

mcm4090

Explorer
Spare tire mount

Most of my long distance trips I bring my kids. I need to make as much room in the bed as possiable, So I decided to mount the spare tire vertically on the front utility track. Since I only use one mount for the highlift I used the extra one to mount the tire. All I had to do was replace a 2 inch stud with a 5 inch stud.

It has given me alot of room in the bed. The down fall is that I can't see out of the rear window to well.
100_1223.jpg

100_1224.jpg

100_1227.jpg

Last edited:

RakkasanFA

Observer
mcm4090 said:
I have a 48" hi-lift and wanted to mount it to the Utili-Track system in the bed.

100_0782.jpg

100_0781.jpg

The great thing about using the cleats is that I can move my hi-lift mount anywhere in the bed, even the floor.

The best mod by far is the Daily Driver sticker... Too funny..

Your truck is really nice. I am considering a body lift too but I am not sure.... I might just wait..

mcm4090

Explorer
3" body lift

With the help of a friend, I installed a 3" body lift from http://www.performanceaccessories.com/ on my truck. I started about two hour before he got there. Total time it took to install the lift with two guys, hand tools, stoping for lunch and going to the parts store was 10 hours. I figured since the rear bumper needed to be replace and if I screwed up it would not be a big deal so we did move the rear bumper up witch was a pain in the *****. With a longer upper radiator hose and removing the bottom fan shroud the radiator dose not have to be lowered.

Here is pic's of my truck next to my wife stock truck.
100_1910.jpg

000_0147.jpg

If I had to do it again I would have gone with the SLR 5" preformace lift or maybe the 2" body lift.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior