free is for me my 1995 wd21 pathfinder build

justinschluter

so a few months ago a friend of mine got into a fender bender parked his pathfinder and got a new truck. with a well timed question i asked "when you are going to give that to me?", he looked at me and replied "if you can get it out of here in less than a week, its yours." Now that Christmas is over i got to get my hands dirty and inspect my new project.

the good
oil has been changed in the last 1000 miles and no leaks underneath
timing belt changed less than 10000 miles ago
clutch fells smooth and transmission has no slips to speak of
engine fires up first time everytime *knock on wood*
body is straight
frame looks relatively rust free

the bad
grill is gone
headlight missing
bumper mangled
passenger front fender crushed
needs new battery
a small crack near the top of radiator (easily repaired and visible)

so all and all mechanically sound with a few small fixes and cosmetics i will be up and driving reliably(fingers crossed)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Nice Find..

These can be pretty capable trucks, and are pretty stoutly built. I had a pretty heavily modified '89 years ago. Biggest issue was always lack of aftermarket support. Had to have alot of things custom fabricated. I'll see if I can dig up some old pictures specs for you.

Last edited:

justinschluter

These can be pretty capable trucks, and are pretty stoutly built. I had a pretty heavily modified '89 years ago. Biggest issue was always lack of aftermarket support. Had to have alot of things custom fabricated. I'll see if I can dig up some old pictures specs for you. Here is a teaser at least..

I am learning the aftermarket is underwhelming. But first goals are find a parts truck, some tires, and get it running. But man your rig was amazing. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what all you did, I would be extremely greatful

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I am learning the aftermarket is underwhelming. But first goals are find a parts truck, some tires, and get it running. But man your rig was amazing. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what all you did, I would be extremely greatful

Sure, I'd be happy to (At least to the best of my ability to remember.. LOL!)

~> Rancho 2" Suspension Lift w/Custom front Upper A-Arm mounts to bring alignment in (RTI of 720)
~> Bilstein Shocks
~> ARB Air Lockers FRONT & REAR
~> Custom Front/Engine and Transfer Case Skid Plates
~> Originally Build Custom Winch mount based off of re-enforced Factory Optional Grill Guard (in Photos attached)
~> Eventually Stock bumpers were replaced with custom Front and Rear 1/4" Steel Bumpers.(still trying to find photos of these)
~> Front with Warn XD-9000 winch, and built in PIAA Pro 90 (Ion Crystal) dual lamps.
~> Rear with Class III Hitch and Two Hella dual Bulb FF (110 watt) Work Lamps.
~> Custom front and rear (4) 3/4" D-Shackle mounts
~> Custom Reinforced front steering components (Idler arm and pin gussets, Steering Knuckle gusets)
~> Sway-Away-Suspension Heavy Duty Torsion Bars
~> (5) 32 x 11.50 BFG Mud Terrains on Stock Alloy wheels
~> 160 Amp Wrangler Power Products Alternator
~> 1/0 Gauge Charge and Ground Cables
~> Interstate Group 31 Battery
~> Custom Accessory Load Center under hood, all heavy duty (1/0) welding cables for grounds, and 80 A Circuit Breaker on main power feed.
~> Centerforce II Clutch
~> Warn Premium Manual Hubs
~> Custom Roof Rack mounts for Hi Lift Jack, Pull Pall and shovel
~> Roof Mounted Whelen Mini Edge 9000 Amber Strobe bar (I owned a towing company at the time and used this the truck for winter recovery some times)
~> Engine Computer (under seat) in custom sealed box
~> Uniden Pro CB with rear carrier mounter firestick antenna
~> Uniden Bearcat 760 XLT Mobile Scanner with stand alone antenna
~> More I'm sure, but all I can think of at the moment...

Not sure if they are still around, but the following Shop built the Skidplates, Upper A-Arm mounts, and Steering system braces:

Suspensions Unlimited
1345 Dynamics # D
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 996-6260

I'll attache some photos of the modifications as well as the old girl out playing. I was used to all the guys with Jeeps and solid axle Toyota Pick-ups making fun of it, calling it a mall crawler, etc, but it really was very capable all around. It wasn't a rock crawler, but it wasn't a mall crawler either..

Attachments

• Front Skid Plate 1.jpg
    Front Skid Plate 1.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Front Skid Plate 2.jpg
    Front Skid Plate 2.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate.jpg
    Transfer Case Skid Plate.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Idler Arm Brace 1.jpg
    Idler Arm Brace 1.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 30
  • Idler Arm Brace 2.jpg
    Idler Arm Brace 2.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Accessory Load Center.jpg
    Accessory Load Center.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Steering Knuckle Bracing.jpg
    Steering Knuckle Bracing.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Roof Mounted Equipment.jpg
    Roof Mounted Equipment.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

LRNAD90

Adventurer
And here are some photos of her out playing..

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 31
  • John Bull.jpg
    John Bull.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 38
  • John Bull 1.jpg
    John Bull 1.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 33
  • John Bull 2.jpg
    John Bull 2.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 30
  • John Bull 3.jpg
    John Bull 3.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 31
  • John Bull 4.jpg
    John Bull 4.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 32

justinschluter

man this is awesome way more info than i thought i would ever get. thank you so much i definitely have truck envy, and some major goals for mine now

justinschluter

ok so i have been busy but not documenting which is always the challenge when i work alone i get too into my projects and between that and taking care of an infant i get impatient. none the less progress, so here is the list new shocks, wheels, tires, battery ,turn signals, passenger fender, bumper, etc. i fabricated a roof rack, front grill, and brackets for the bumper. here is some pics to those who care, also keep in mind this in total has cost less than $1500 and is a play rig not a daily(but with this nice weather has been getting some miles on and off road). this week i will be be prepping for a rattle can job. i did one before on a 93 cherokee xj(desert tan) that went well so i have chosen to go with army green from rustoleum camo collection. i will post more in depth pics and keep everyone up to date

IMG_3379 (1).jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

justinschluter

so went back and forth with lowes for 4 weeks to no avail. i placed my order online for in store pick up 3/22 and after being told this and that, i finally got fed up and cancelled my order. then i went out to the woods to play and blew my patched radiator luckily i was near an oreillys got so epoxy steel stick hobled home. Good news ordered a new one for $45 and got in a few days. 15 min change out and feel stupid for ever patching it. alos im going to be ordering in dove gray bed lining and spraying it myself. will post it stripped and sanded soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne