Which 4 season tent?

jktowhere

Observer
Looking for a solid 4 season tent for myself, my girlfriend and two 50lb dogs. Have a black diamond skylight tent which I love but it's worthless in rain.

kpredator

Adventurer
4 season tent

north face VE-25
used mine in alaska many times.
experienced gale force winds, a lot of rain and snow.
no failures.great tent.

good luck
kp

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Looking for a solid 4 season tent for myself, my girlfriend and two 50lb dogs. Have a black diamond skylight tent which I love but it's worthless in rain.

I take it this is for car camping? Do you need it to be convertible for 3 season use as well? Are you on cots or just pads on the ground? Cooking inside the tent at all?

altaboy

Observer
Here's my take on the "4 season car camping" gig:

1st: need to be able to spend 2-3 days in it if stuck "out there" in foul weather.
2nd: need to be able to stand up (rules out the VE-24, thought "the ticket" for Everest like conditions).
3rd: need to move around in it/cook
4th: need big vestibule for storage
5th: straight poles w/o corners (preferably DAC aluminum). Corner piece breaks/bends....sol
6th: Fairly quick set up.
7th: tolerated heavy/bulky due to vehicle support.

My vote: Redverz motorcycle touring tent. Why?
-during "snowverland expo", my wife/my neighbor had one. Set it up solo during howling wind (we struggled with a 4 season stand up dome/mainly because of fly). During massive "mud-a-thon" he invited us over for diner/drinks....friggin HUGE vestibule w primo weather protection (that's the area the "garage" they drive their motorcycles in...did I say motorcyclist are more anal than us vehicle supported nuts). Could of sat there all night during nasty cold rain/snow storm. Went out and bought one as soon as I got home!

Downside:
1. dirt floor for that wonderful vestibule....solution...cut up old destroyed Coleman stand up dome to act as ground tarp for this baby.
2. Bulky....see #7 above
3. Non free standing (could be an issue....say Moab).
4. sleeping area really only handle 2 people....dogs might be a problem...probably can handle it.

All in all, a really good compromise.

12/31/16 edit:

'course, if you want a full sized bullet proof 4 season dome (ve-24 style), check these babies out: http://arcticoventent.com/tents/all-tents/arctic-oven-igloo/

Plus, the have larger extreme tents for you and your entire posse!

Pricey but.......(shamelessly borrowed from IH8TMUD).

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There is nothing worse than a 4 season tent in a warm rainstorm. Ugh. A 4 season tent is ideally suited for snow loads, high winds, etc. As such, ventilation is often lacking. Just a thought.

And yes, I've owned a dozen of the best 4 season mountaineering tents ever made. Most were HORRIBLE outside of their intended wintertime usage.

altaboy

Observer
Chris, no one ever died from high humidity (to my knowledge)....plenty have gone down from under-rated tents. I'll put my money on over designed any day.

Though I do recognize and respect your experience!

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
I have a Fjällräven Abisko Lite 3 that is good for two people and a 55# Husky. I've only had it since June and only used it in the Northeast, so no super high temps. It was great in the snow and rain. I bought it from Tools for Adventure and the owner is a member here.

altaboy

Observer
PSA: Thought I had seen it....OutdoorX4 has a review of the Redverz tent (see above). Haven't read it yet.....

altaboy

Observer
HILLEBERG: Entertained those a few years ago. Problem was: The 4 person offerings broke one of my tenants: Ability to stand up when hunkering down for the big extended storm.

I do note that they have higher tents in their offering, but those are like for armies (10+ people) and pretty pricey. Plus they are located in UK, makes for dicey returns.

PSAx2: Redverz: When researching this tent, I called the designer to explore in more detail. He did mention that, at that time, had a few up on Everest base camp (not sure if summer or...) for testing. Did not follow up on results as I don't do Everest (or anything remotly close). Figure if the Redverz is even entertained for that stuff, it's good enough for me in the lower 48.

However, reiterating an important design flaw, must be staked as not free standing. Figure here can do work arounds with triple shopping bags full of rocks as anchors (look like homeless camp, probably a good thing). A little more design effort/mods could have this free standing.....some day....note to self: get an industrial sewing machine for cool ideas.

AxleIke

Adventurer
12/31/16 edit:

'course, if you want a full sized bullet proof 4 season dome (ve-24 style), check these babies out: http://arcticoventent.com/tents/all-tents/arctic-oven-igloo/

Plus, the have larger extreme tents for you and your entire posse!

Pricey but.......(shamelessly borrowed from IH8TMUD).

We've used those in the field. They are nice at -40, but when its between 0 and 32 F, they start to become unbearably hot (if its sunny).

Its an oven, so they are named appropriately :D

They are nice and spacious inside for one person with a lot of gear. You can make them into little homes.

There is nothing worse than a 4 season tent in a warm rainstorm. Ugh. A 4 season tent is ideally suited for snow loads, high winds, etc. As such, ventilation is often lacking. Just a thought.

And yes, I've owned a dozen of the best 4 season mountaineering tents ever made. Most were HORRIBLE outside of their intended wintertime usage.

While I agree they are way too hot, I have done nothing but suffer in a 3/4 convertible tent with it in 4 season mode for the last 10 years whenever I am in the Utah desert. However, when I've been with a group, mine is the only tent with no sand. One year, most of the normal, REI type summer tents (rain fly on, lots of mesh) had several inches of sand in them each day.

I've yet to find a solution for a ground tent that has ventilation but keeps the sand out

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Chris, no one ever died from high humidity (to my knowledge)....plenty have gone down from under-rated tents. I'll put my money on over designed any day.

Though I do recognize and respect your experience!
Nobody said anything about death, but there sure is ample room for suffering. :)

My best experiences with 4-season tents correlates with where most of them were intended to be used - in the super cold, often drier conditions at higher altitudes. In lower, warmer, wetter conditions most 4-season tents can be utterly miserable. Not only uncomfortable, the excessive condensation can make the concept of a shelter a moot point.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've yet to find a solution for a ground tent that has ventilation but keeps the sand out
True enough. When I head to Utah I often toss my Bibler I-Tent in the car in the event the winds start jamming. That's the only 4-season tent I can tolerate being in when it gets warm and sandy which is counter intuitive given how thick the fabric is.

My other super sandy favorite is an old Mountain Hardware Mountain Wing. They only made it for one year in 2000 or so. Three hoops which are indestructible in the worst winds, minimal mesh and several zipped vents. Love that thing.

I will also say, I have a Hilleberg Staika and a Hilleberg Nammatj GT2 and both are pretty good in sand, but they're brutal in a warm summer rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior