malibubts's 2015 Ram 1500 CCSB Build

malibubts

Adventurer
Did your truck not come with a platform in the back from the factory. My '14 has it, I assumed it was standard.

Nope. I have the Tradesman trim level and you don't get the platform, I don't think they start including them until you hit the SLT or the Big Horn. I tried looking around for parts but since they aren't very common to buy after the fact I found it was around $500 for the setup. I've seen a few guys DIY a fold out floor, but as it is I rarely use the back seat so I went with something a little more robust.

Hoghead

Observer
Makes sense, I do have the big horn. I'm surprised adding the factory setup was so expensive. No doubt yours is sturdier. Well done

malibubts

Adventurer
Pulled the trigger on a Decked system today. I think it'll be really useful for how I use my truck and also serve as a sleeping platform for the camping trips. The design of my back seat platform cuts out some of the interior cab storage that I use and this ultimately pushed me to order; I've been eyeing the system for a few months but couldn't commit. Should be delivered to my local 4 Wheel Parts here in the next week or so.

I also decided to go with the bed liner finish on the platform and ordered the Raptor Liner roll on kit. Raptor seems to get some pretty decent reviews online and the 2L kit came out cheaper than Herculiner or most anything else. I should have a fair amount extra in case I want to use it somewhere else in the future (I'm already pondering how to handle to cooler and a few other large items on top of the Decked).

D45

Explorer
Just curious, with the Ecodiesel..........what is your payload and towing capacity?

I have always read and heard the ratings are extremely low

sunnypruit

Post up some pics once you get the Decked system installed. I just ordered one for my Nissan Titan XD Diesel. I'm looking forward to some organized storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibubts

Adventurer
Just curious, with the Ecodiesel..........what is your payload and towing capacity?

I have always read and heard the ratings are extremely low
So it's going to vary a bit depending on how you have your truck optioned out. I have the Tradesman Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed, 4x4, and a 3.92 rear end.

Using Ram's site this gives me 1,300# payload and 8,700# towing. Swapping out to the V8 gives 1,510# payload and 10,200# towing.

The lower payload is really across all the Ram's because they use coils in the rear. There is a little bit of loss of capacity due to the extra weight of the diesel, but not too much. Having the coils in the back wasn't my favorite thing, but it wasn't a deal breaker either.

Towing though takes a hit. The speculation here from the companies that work on the tunes is that it is due to cooling capacity on the engine. The intercooler is stacked right on the radiator, which sheds a fair amount of heat into it. One company is actually working on a system to relocate the intercooler. At the end of the day it's not an issue for me as I'm not towing that high of a load. I would feel comfortable with this truck around 8,000# even though the gas engine can theoretically tow higher anyway. All other components are the truck are the same, it just comes down to cooling capacity. If I was towing over 8k regularly I'd be in a 3/4 ton.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

malibubts

Adventurer
Post up some pics once you get the Decked system installed. I just ordered one for my Nissan Titan XD Diesel. I'm looking forward to some organized storage.

Will do. Got a call from 4 Wheel Parts saying they will have it in Friday. So I should get it all installed this weekend.

Edit: Just saw you had the XD. How do you like the diesel in that?

Last edited:

malibubts

Adventurer
Yup, it all depends on the options. Sunroof, Air Suspension, Leather Seats, etc all add up to a decent amount of weight you loose from your payload. I'm near the top end of the ratings since I have a low trim level, the only thing keeping me from up top is the largest wheelbase (CC 6'4") they make.

You gotta do you; for me the payload works, sure I'd love leafs in the back and the extra payload but at the end of the day it works for me. Honestly, I'm sure I will and possibly have been over payload capacity, but as long as you aren't doing anything too dumb you'll be fine. I'd bet a good portion of the people on this forum are in the over payload category.

The engine rumored to be put in the '18 F150 is pretty similar to Ram's, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ford kept most of it's payload rating. That might be worth a look for you. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ram upped the cooling and tow capacity to compete, but they'll lose the payload battle regardless.

sunnypruit

Will do. Got a call from 4 Wheel Parts saying they will have it in Friday. So I should get it all installed this weekend.

Edit: Just saw you had the XD. How do you like the diesel in that?

I love my XD. I'm a big Nissan fan so I was pretty sure that I was going to get one. I also considered a Ram 2500 Diesel and 1500 Eco-diesel. I liked that it's heavy duty but not overkill for what I need and the payload is a few thousand more than the 1500. I got between 20-24 on the highway with medium sides mountains. Mixed driving I usually get 16-19IMG_0878.jpg

malibubts

Adventurer
I love my XD. I'm a big Nissan fan so I was pretty sure that I was going to get one. I also considered a Ram 2500 Diesel and 1500 Eco-diesel. I liked that it's heavy duty but not overkill for what I need and the payload is a few thousand more than the 1500. I got between 20-24 on the highway with medium sides mountains. Mixed driving I usually get 16-19View attachment 397927

Nice looking truck. I looked at the XD when I bought the Ram, but the fuel economy on the 3.0L made my decision. I've averaged right at 25 over 35k miles and I can get a tank average at the 30 mark on long road trips. Rumor is Cummins was actually trying to get that engine put in a Ram 1/2 ton some years back.

malibubts

Adventurer
Decked Install

My Decked system came in on Friday and I swung by 4 Wheel Parts during my lunch to pick it up.

IMG_20170428_123223 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

It was a bit tough to get it installed this weekend with all the rain; I initially started putting everything together Friday when I got home but shortly got rained out. I did a good portion of the install with the truck backed up to the garage in the rain on Saturday. I was able to get everything finished up then later today.

2017-04-28 17.43.20 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_9882 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_9888 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_9907 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

Overall the install was pretty straight forward. The install manual was pretty short and to the point. I actually spent the most time putting together the drawers, which I wasn't expecting. I didn't really take any photos of the process because I was fighting the rain and the install is pretty well documented out there.

I decided not to buy any of the organizational pieces to start and decide what I wanted after running the system for a bit. After just moving some initial items into the drawers I will be getting at least the drawer dividers to keep the smaller items in control. I'm also debating on the Core Trax tie downs for the cooler and some larger items like that.

I'll get some more photos up on the drawers themselves once I get the layout figured out a little more. I also need to pick up a few more random tools I didn't have space for before (tarp, bottle jack, mallet, etc).

In other related news, I picked up a new to me camera this week. I used to be pretty into photography some years back and had quite a lot of gear, I wasn't using it much so I ended up selling it. The camera on my near 4 year old phone isn't the best, so I looked back into DSLRs again. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a setup and also really did want too much other than taking pictures. I was able to find a Canon 40D for $135 from a used store and then a refurbished Canon EFS 24mm /2.8 for $115. So far it's a pretty decent setup for the money. I will probably add another prime or two down the line, but it will still be a fairly 'cheap' and simple setup.

Last edited:

malibubts

Adventurer
Zaleski / Hocking Hills

Made it out this past weekend, although we did miss out on the Alleghenies as planned. I haven't had a chance to make it out that way before and had a pretty solid trip planned out, but with the foretasted rain we decided to put that trip on hold. I'm on call every 3 week, which makes weekend getaways a little more sparse, so I wanted to at least get out somewhere.

Thursday night I decided to head down to the Zaleski area instead, which didn't leave a lot of time to plan things out. Last minute I found Lake Hope State Park and we planned to camp there both nights.

Lake Hope is a pretty large site (100+) so I was a little concerned it would be too crowded. Fortunately for us the place was almost empty. The camp sites were close together, but that wasn't really an issue with no one there.

IMG_9951 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_9972 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

About the only thing I was able to get time to plan out was a trip to check out the Moonville Rail Tunnel, which was only a few minutes away. The information I found on it also lead us to park at the 'old' trail head which was a pretty cool half mile to the tunnel. The new trail head now has a big parking lot and gravel walk way.

IMG_0050 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_0176 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

The roads to Moonville were about as 'overlanding' as you'll get in the area to my knowledge, but it was still a fun drive. We spent an hour or so just driving around similar roads in the area since I didn't have a chance to get anything really planned out.

IMG_0301 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

On Sunday we heading over Hocking Hills since my girlfriend wanted to check it out. I've been there a few times before and it's a little to crowded for me, but we still got in a pretty good hike. There was a bit of a scenic drive on the way out to Logan, but nothing intense by any means.

IMG_0348 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

About as good of a planned out route as I have for the trip.

51217 Export by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

I got to test out the Decked as well this weekend. I'm really liking it so far, but I definitely need to get some top side cargo management figured out for the larger items. I was using the cargo bar since I already had it to keep the cooler and water jug in place, but it was really a bit of a pain. I've been looking at Decked's Core Trax system, but still trying to decide what will work best.

IMG_9983 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

IMG_0325 by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

A bit of topic, Decked has some solid customer service. I am having an issue with the left drawer not riding correctly on the wheels. I called in and spoke with the support team and they ran me through some basic steps, unfortunately none of those resolved it. They escalated me quickly to the GM though and we spoke through the issue on the phone.

After some troubleshooting we determined the issue was with the vert at the tailgate being able to move. Apparently the GM trucks don't have a perfectly flat bed and can do the same thing. Those kits include a piece of rubber to help with the issue and they were going to get one shipped out to me. Once I get that in place we'll see if I still have a problem or not.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Dont forget about AEP campgrounds down there too!! we hit all those areas on our ohio backroads run (look in midwest forum for pics and route)

malibubts

Adventurer
Dont forget about AEP campgrounds down there too!! we hit all those areas on our ohio backroads run (look in midwest forum for pics and route)

Yeah I knew those were around but with the short planning time I wasn't able to get those in. Went the easy route and stayed at Hope both nights. I'll take a look in the sub-forum; might have to go back equipped with a better route. I did want to make that trip but unfortunately was busy that weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles