Argosy 4X4 Duramax conversion

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Oh, just so everybody knows, I haven't spent any time learning the controls on this site. Hopefully I insert comments in the appropriate locations, don't delete anybody's comments, etc. Forgive me if I do, and send pointers my way if you feel inclined. Thanks!

Well technically, they aren't comments (this site is not a blog), they're posts (it's a message board a.k.a. forum).

But no worries, you can't do anything to affect the posts of others, that takes site moderator or administrator privileges which we lowly peons do not possess.

(Well...actually, you do have one godlike power over others. Since you started this thread (string of posts), you can also delete it, which would also delete whatever anyone else posted in "your" thread.

Not all forums allow that. It was a hotly contested and debated question here on ExPo. It was voted on and the site owner declined to exersize his veto, so around here, a thread's "owner" does have the "nuke it all" option.)

Psychodan

Hanging the body.

We built a supporting structure inside the body shell in order to properly lift it without causing damage. Plywood gussets attack to the 2 main ribs and a couple small ones. Cross bars keep the lower part of the body in place. From here we can roll the chassis under and start playing with cockpit logistics, wheel placement, etc.

Attachments

• AR19.jpg
    AR19.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 143
  • AR18.jpg
    AR18.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 148
  • AR20.jpg
    AR20.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 146
  • AR21.jpg
    AR21.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 145
  • AR23.jpg
    AR23.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 153
  • AR27.jpg
    AR27.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 155

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ok. You have my attention! I restore Airstreams and just sold a 26' Argosy that I bought in Sprague Wa. I'll have to show your project to my wife as she isn't a Moho fan. I have a 29' Airstream that's at about the same place as your Argosy now.

Some pics of the Argosey I just sold for inspiration:

image.jpg5_zpswgpraogb.jpg

image.jpg2_zpstahjrhl8.jpg

image.jpg1_zpswj4wweq1.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsmvvr96q4.jpg

image.jpg2_zpspdevx2o8.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsi4hiz9lq.jpg

Last edited:

Psychodan

That's a good looking rig! I like how clean it is. What are the wall panels (the white ones) made of? I'm looking for ideas for the interior walls.

Psychodan

Pictures Update

Here are some more pics, I'm trying to get caught up to where we currently are on this project. The pics so far are over a year old. We started the project, then my wife found an unfinished house she had to have. Admittedly it was a great investment, however I was incredibly apprehensive. It took us a year to finish the place, and I had to move the project. It was not an easy task. She bribed me with a new shop, which I had built large enough to fit the chassis and body in line with each other. That way the chassis can be rolled out from under, worked on, then rolled back under for test fit. It's slick. But the project has been delayed, uploading pictures takes time, so it will be a bit before I get caught up. Here is the latest installment:

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 161
  • AR26.jpg
    AR26.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 160
  • AR27.jpg
    AR27.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 159
  • AR28.jpg
    AR28.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 159
  • AR30.jpg
    AR30.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 163
  • AR31.jpg
    AR31.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 155

Coachgeo

Explorer
Saw some oldy's like this on way to pay for a farm implement. Few Travco's, an Argosy, and hmmm. there was another but forget name at moment. Mostly rotting away ones.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That's a good looking rig! I like how clean it is. What are the wall panels (the white ones) made of? I'm looking for ideas for the interior walls.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Have been up to my eyeballs in 5052 re-skinning the interior of my Airstream. The interior walls are just the original aluminum with a coating of a special primer and then standard Benji Moore "cloud white". Since yours is totally de-skinned it will be a bigger job, but better results. I rewired mine completely and re insulated it with modern insulation and have riveted all the big main sheets back in. I'm just waiting to get my hand back to finish off the ends. The new skin has been a fair bit of work, but really only about 3 full days for two people.

Last edited:

Psychodan

Progress Pics

We have removed the front suspension and are now building the new shock towers. The lower and upper control arms, the spindle or hub, and tie rod end are Kibbie Tech long travel. Although I don't need long travel, thats really the only way to move the hubs to their proper location. I will have centerline wheels and 12" tires which end up flush with the outside of the body. The rear axle gets extended as well. Same wheels and tires on all 4 corners. That's the plan.

Attachments

• IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1576 (1).jpg
    IMG_1576 (1).jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 106

Psychodan

Front Suspension

Fabricating the the new towers. I have a lot of experience welding, but this is still very intimidating. It can't fail. I tested TIG and MIG welds to check penetration using Naval Jelly, it worked very good and I learned a lot. The MIG welds yielded the best consistent penetration, though settings resulted in significant splatter. Still refining but pressing on... Rig gets King IBP coil overs, 12" stroke. Should ride good. I set up a jig so I could determine where to place the upper mount. The unistrut is bolted to the lower swing arm, and if the top is 90 degrees to the arm then the unistrut will not move forward or backward as the lower arm is cycled. I used 1/8" foam board to create templates, towers are 1/4" formed cold rolled, as are all the parts. Sorry pics are sideways, couldn't quickly figure out how to rotate after upload, no time to re upload. IMG_1719.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 106

b dkw1

Observer
You need to lean the shocks in more if you can. Right now you will have a falling rate for most of your bump travel.

Edit: you don't want the shocks at 90* to the arm at full bump, you want them at 90* to the pivot axis. Draw a line through the arm pivot to the lower shock mount bolt. You want to be 90* to that line at full bump.

Edit 2 cause Saki..... flip the resi hose around to the front. No need for funny holes in bad places in the tower.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles