Building La Tortuga: 1983 Ford-Collins E350 4x4 ShortBus

Petrolburner

Explorer
The last thing I needed was another project, so I bought a box van to convert to ExPo toyhauler. Some of us will never learn.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
The last thing I needed was another project, so I bought a box van to convert to ExPo toyhauler. Some of us will never learn.

My real hobby is collecting hobbies. It's bad enough buying a second vehicle that needs lots of attention, but it makes it awfully hard to ever lay hands (or spend dollars on) on my gunsmithing, silversmithing, electroplating, Cerekoting, powdercoating, reloading, sandcasting, Ham radio, hydroponics, aquaponics, beekeeping, saddle-making, bow-making, screen-printing, meat-smoaking, cheese-making, pickling, soap-making, 3d-printer, lead-acid battery, photovoltaic system, woodgas generator, projects (much less everything else that actually NEEDS to get done :eek:).

Viewed objectively, the true objective is collecting skills and making sure my son picks up on them too, so I'm right on track in the big picture. For me, the value of this van (and the jeep) is in the building of it as much as in having the future version of it.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
That is one sweet Commando. Been thinking of picking one up but I need another vehicle like Texas needs more rain.
Yet just today I picked up a converted 1954 Crown to have as a temporary guest house for the house I bought last month.
And I'm gonna go look at a gutted 1991 E350 diesel next week.
Your bumper is looking really nice by the way.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
That is one sweet Commando. Been thinking of picking one up but I need another vehicle like Texas needs more rain.
Yet just today I picked up a converted 1954 Crown to have as a temporary guest house for the house I bought last month.
And I'm gonna go look at a gutted 1991 E350 diesel next week.
Your bumper is looking really nice by the way.

Thanks a lot. I think it looks pretty goofy (the bumper) without the headlights and the Jerry cans installed, but once it all comes together it will make more sense and be more pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Ok, so I basically finished up the front bumper, still need to wire in my headlights, adjust and set them, and spool my winch cable.
-
Got the headlights painted, soldered to a harness plug, and mounted. Also put some texture skateboard tape on top of the headlight guards.
-
p4Y9xmJ.jpg

-
I cut and mounted my "TractorSupply" rubber mats.
-
EQhjsSl.jpg

-
Next to figure out how to pull off my motorcycle chain Jerry-can mounting system. After much hemming and hawing, I bit the bullet and decided I'd have to mill proper chain hooks using stainless steel billet. Three pictures below show the progression of the billet to functioning hooks.
-
97Le50i.jpg

-
YvzBFN1.jpg

-
W0bYZKC.jpg

-
Then I had to work on mounting the hooks to my compression latches. Of course the latches are metric, but I got them figured out.
-
urRkjyT.jpg

-
Then I worked on hook mounts for my compression latches. I also wanted to protect these a bit as they are pretty much the weakest link- these are much more axe-proof now.
-
N5e7WVG.jpg

-
Prettied them up a bit, went with red since I envision these ending up lost in the sand at some point.
-
L0u93QU.jpg

-
Made some similar hooks for the ends of my chains.
-
If I had this to do over again, I would have made both ends of the chain with these hook ends, and then made two sets of the stainless steel chain hooks (which was a bigger chore than they look) mounted on both sides of my compression latch. Then you could place your compressor latch anywhere you want, and cinch the chain from both ends. I will very likely do this down the road.....
-
WRASVtu.jpg

-
Tried to think of a good (easy) way to build ridged mounts to the bumper. These simple little hooks took me more work than they look like, but I wanted them to be sledge-proof.
-
iMPYW7Y.jpg

-
But I got them welded up, painted up, and then cut out my rubber mats to accommodate them.
-
tcumVC3.jpg

-
So, it works great. As far as security, It would basically take an angle grinder to defeat it. I love that it's adjustable, notice that in these pics I've replaced a Jerry-can with an ammo box- I could mount any number of items or combinations with this chain, equally secure. It is a little bit of a pain getting everything linked and snug at first, but after you get the fine-tunning out of the way, it's much quicker and easier. I haven't taken it off road yet, but everything is VERY snug, I credit this to the rubber pads, and I also wedged foam between the cans.

I'll probably post a separate thread on this chain mount. I didn't find anything on this in my Google-ing, so maybe others could benefit from my work here if they had something similar in mind.

5t1O40T.jpg

lumxiHc.jpg

cD5cWWo.jpg

J3pQPpk.jpg

nidyGVN.jpg

X

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Wired up my headlights, only to have them flicker on and off as if possessed by a poltergeist. After some research on the interweb, I'm pretty confident it's an issue with too much electricity being drawn through the switch. It's an apparent issue with older Fords, and an issue with people installing HD headlights, I've effectively tripled the power draw through the switch. Next project is installing relays that will fix this. While I'm at it, the turn signals quit working. I've replaced the flasher but it did not help. Suspect number one is a bad ground somewhere, but regardless, I'll be doing some wiring troubleshooting which is my least favorite automotive chore and the one I have the least confidence in my skillset. In short, I hate dealing with electrical.
`
this link is to a great article relative to installing relays for high power drain items. I recommend it for everyone unless you're already too high-speed, low-drag in the electrical department.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/whiter-whites-brighter-brights/
`
Next up- rear bumper build. Rolling tailstock, integrated under-cab storage, trailer hitch tucked in high with removable drop-hitch, dual spare swing-outs, propane bottle mounts up high above the back door. I'm excited about the design I have planned for the rear bumper, but I don't forsee it getting built with great haste. Our family is going to be very busy with my wife's side-business through Christmas time, and plus the new Jeepster will be stealing time and funds, plus several hunting trips are planned this fall. I plan on purchasing steel and components with every paycheck and I can build some of the components modularly inside the shop this winter. I hope to have that bumper built out by January 2018.
`
After that, I'll be looking to build my extended top. not sure that's something I'll want to do in the dead of winter here on the mountain, so it's likely that my not arrive until spring time.
`
Tortuga is living up to it's namesake. Slow and steady wins the race.

Last edited:

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
It seems that anyone who does use an angle grinder to steal your fuel cans should be easy to spot. He'll be the one that's on fire.

Yeah, seems like the guard caps really just need to make it very difficult to remove the caps to siphon gas, and the chain strap just needs to secure it from a crack-head with a sledge or ax. Anyone willing to try and invest more effort then that is going to get your loot regardless, or end up with a Darwin Award (or acute kinetic lead poisoning if I catch them in the act).

tmo2460

Observer
Really impressed with your chain system and fab work there. I think its a really unique and functional look, and the extra detail of the end hooks really gives it a cleaned up, thought out design rather than looking like a redneck engineering project (not that those don't also have their place). I think it really fits with the theme of the bus, awesome work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles