new rider question

preacherman

Explorer
I just got my first moto and have a new guy question. I am just about to do some routine maintenance checks on everything, nothing fancy, but realized I've got a problem.

How do I get this 300lb bike on the moto work stand? There has to be some trick to it that I don't know.

The "step on it and lift" stands work well for the heavier bikes. If you don't have one of those, you might think about getting one before you throw out your back. For a non-lifting stand, have the stand situated to the right of the bike, stand yourself on the left of the bike, apply the front brake, tilt the bike towards you, and lift the rear onto the stand... shimmy as necessary.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I just lift the bike at the front of the frame using a floor jack and slide in a piece of 2x4 that rests on axle stands. When the jack is removed the bike tilts forward so the front wheel is on the ground and the rear wheel is a couple of inches off.

Cheers,
Graham

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Motorcycle jack......you can ratchet strap the bike to the jack and work on it.
I did that with my sporter when I need to work onit. never had a tip problem when it was balanced correctly.
:roost:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94