CapnJacks 1st Gen Taco Build

capnjackcanon

Observer
Hey folks, thanks for checking in. I'm currently contracting in Afghanistan for work, but got to take a trip home for Christmas. I picked up a buddies 2004 Tacoma DoubleCab Short Bed Limited 4x4 with e-locker.

Day after Christmas put some new shoes on her. 285/75/16's the Ko2 AT's that some people love and some people hate. Got them setup and bought two extras for spares. Had to remove the fender trim pieces as they were grinding on corners.

Second mod was a new All Pro front bumper so I can throw a winch up front.

Someday this week I'll install the winch a Smittybilt x20 12,000k winch with a steel cable, I'm waiting to make some electrical decisions before I get started with that.

I'm trying to get a topper for the Taco so I can store the fridge and other gear in the bed of the truck so that will all be happening soon. I also have a drawer that I will install to store recovery gear, the fridge will be mounted on top of that.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Hey folks, thanks for checking in. I'm currently contracting in Afghanistan for work, but got to take a trip home for Christmas. I picked up a buddies 2004 Tacoma DoubleCab Short Bed Limited 4x4 with e-locker.

Day after Christmas put some new shoes on her. 285/75/16's the Ko2 AT's that some people love and some people hate. Got them setup and bought two extras for spares. Had to remove the fender trim pieces as they were grinding on corners.

Second mod was a new All Pro front bumper so I can throw a winch up front.

Someday this week I'll install the winch a Smittybilt x20 12,000k winch with a steel cable, I'm waiting to make some electrical decisions before I get started with that.

I'm trying to get a topper for the Taco so I can store the fridge and other gear in the bed of the truck so that will all be happening soon. I also have a drawer that I will install to store recovery gear, the fridge will be mounted on top of that.

Looking good.

What electrical decisions are you making regarding the winch? I just did all my winch wiring and can possibly answer some questions if you have any.

04dblcab

Observer
What part of Arizona are you in hahaha the snow!!! We went up north last weekend and wheeled a bit. Much fun. Nice truck! Same as mine!

capnjackcanon

Observer
Wrenchmonkey, I'm waiting on my ARE topper to come in, I had to order it. So I will be doing a multi-battery setup and want to wait to do that all at the same time. I am just on vacation right now, so I won't be able to complete a lot of my build as I'll be headed back to Afghanistan at the end of the week.

My last 4x4 was a wrangler and my wiring for all of my accessories was kind of a mess. This time around I want to do a really clean install, so I'm waiting to do everything all at once. My trip this winter fortunately didn't require any winching as I had the brand new Ko2's on they had no trouble gripping on and off road.

I'm very excited to get my topper. I got one of ARE's with gull wing side windows with commercial grade locks with all glass windows. I'm pretty excited to see the functionality it adds to the truck, allowing me to weather proof the truck bed.

I have some L-Trac that i'm going to install on a piece of 3/4" plywood sheet that will allow me to minimize drilling into the actual truck bed. I will use the L-Trac to tie down the drawer and then to mount the refrigerator to the drawer.

I am trying to decide if I'm going to mount my two burner stove like I had in a previous setup or if I will opt for a pullout kitchen setup (similar to a chuck wagon).

If you have any pics of your kitchen setup I'd love to see them!

My overlanding setup will have an option for an Off-road tear drop trailer and the Taco, or just the Taco solo depending on how many passengers (kids) are along for the ride.

Once I get the topper installed i'll install my roof top tent, CVT Mt. Rainier, on top- of the Taco, and then I'll be able to do solo/couple trips without the kiddos.

04dblcab, I'm new to this Taco, any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

capnjackcanon

Observer
We have a cabin in an area called Happy Jack and we also played around in Flagstaff, the snow was thick and fun!!! (For Az that is)

capnjackcanon

Observer
Now I'm looking for a roof rack kit for the cab of the Taco. I've done some poking around, but has anyone found a kit that's all together for the 1st Gens? Or did you have to custom order each piece?

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
Now I'm looking for a roof rack kit for the cab of the Taco. I've done some poking around, but has anyone found a kit that's all together for the 1st Gens? Or did you have to custom order each piece?

I'm going off of memory here, but I think the double cabs that had the factory roof rack on top had reenforcements in the roof to attach to. They only made them like that for the first and second model year, I believe. I looked into a rack for the cab area before I bought the Flippac, so there might be another low profile option out there now.

04dblcab

Observer
I'm going off of memory here, but I think the double cabs that had the factory roof rack on top had reenforcements in the roof to attach to. They only made them like that for the first and second model year, I believe. I looked into a rack for the cab area before I bought the Flippac, so there might be another low profile option out there now.

You sir are right, they had an option for the roof rack, I would try and scout one at the junk yard and just make it fit. This would probably require to drill through the cab but if you use FIPG or silicone, should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior