Offroad & Overland Amateur Radio Net - Bay Area + IRLP

SAC-CA-Runner

I JUST passed my Technician license yesterday. Let me say...I am COMPLETELY new to HAM. I am going to definitely put the next net on my calendar and see if I can join. I'm still even learning how to use my handheld UV-5RV2+ with Nagoya antenna. I guess I just turn on to that frequency and hope to hear something? I know I can't say anything until I'm in the FCC database and have my call sign.

camp4x4

Adventurer
I JUST passed my Technician license yesterday. Let me say...I am COMPLETELY new to HAM. I am going to definitely put the next net on my calendar and see if I can join. I'm still even learning how to use my handheld UV-5RV2+ with Nagoya antenna. I guess I just turn on to that frequency and hope to hear something? I know I can't say anything until I'm in the FCC database and have my call sign.

Congrats!!! If you tune to the frequency you can definitely listen. You may be surprised how quickly the FCC gets you in their database.. could be just a couple days. Check their search for your callsign. Once you show up there you're good.

Once you go to get on you'll need to set the shift and the PL tone, plus narrow FM as your mode.

Check out the manual, looks pretty easy.

BrianV

Observer
Tried to listen for a bit but reception not so great from my HT in the Santa Cruz mountains. Probably wouldn't have the power to get into the repeater anyways.
Heard a few people checkin before I switched my radio off, so seems Net is getting some traffic which is cool.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Tried to listen for a bit but reception not so great from my HT in the Santa Cruz mountains. Probably wouldn't have the power to get into the repeater anyways.
Heard a few people checkin before I switched my radio off, so seems Net is getting some traffic which is cool.

Hey Brian,
Sorry you couldn't get the reception. Where abouts in the Santa Cruz mountains? You might try hitting the 440 K7DAA repeater over in Morgan Hill. I connect that up via IRLP, so that may or may not work for you.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Hey Brian,
Sorry you couldn't get the reception. Where abouts in the Santa Cruz mountains? You might try hitting the 440 K7DAA repeater over in Morgan Hill. I connect that up via IRLP, so that may or may not work for you.

Brian, It's doubtful you'll be able to hit K7DAA from the Santa Cruz mountains, just a bit far for the HT.

BrianV

Observer
Hey Brian,

I'm ~2 miles off Hwy 17 and Summit Rd. ~200ft lower than Patchen Summit. I'm facing NE more or less towards downtown SJ.
Repeaters on Loma Prieta come in really strong for me.

Brian, It's doubtful you'll be able to hit K7DAA from the Santa Cruz mountains, just a bit far for the HT.

Yeah I can't see how I would be able too, after looking at the website. That repeater looks to be blocked by a wall and down in a hole from my position, have a nearly 4k mountain peak/ridge in between.

I actually don't have too much crap between me and Sunol grade. So I think I'll buy an antenna to mount on my truck and see if I get better reception at least. Start there.

camp4x4

Adventurer
I'm ~2 miles off Hwy 17 and Summit Rd. ~200ft lower than Patchen Summit. ... That repeater looks to be blocked by a wall and down in a hole from my position, have a nearly 4k mountain peak/ridge in between.

I actually don't have too much crap between me and Sunol grade. So I think I'll buy an antenna to mount on my truck and see if I get better reception at least. Start there.

Ah, yeah, you're not gonna get over to Morgan Hill from there.

Looks like Mt. Thayer is the biggest impediment between you and Sunol Ridge, which could be a problem. Checkout PathRf.com to check your line of site. Looks like if you're west of Old Santa Cruz Highway & Summit Rd. You've got a clear LOS. East of that intersection and it gets worse and worse. The W6SRR repeater coordinates are 37.6202, -121.922.

Here's a LOS plot for Summit & Old Santa Cruz HWY:
32032073310_d017d78f54_b.jpg

Are you using the HT inside the truck? In-vehicle antennas are WAY less effective than antennas outside the vehicle. Give a mag-mount a try, or once the weather turns try hitting the repeater outside your vehicle. Apologies if this is all old news to you.

Last edited:

BrianV

Observer
Very cool I had not seen the PathRf.com tool. It shows clear line of sight from my location.

I was standing in my kitchen next to the window facing Sunol. I also stepped out on the deck in the rain didn't seem to improve much.
I have just your basic stock antenna on my VX-6 HT. So no surprise. I'll order up an antenna to mount to my truck and see if that improves reception. Also looking like might be time to get a mobile in order to make into the repeater. Baby steps..

Good thought on checking the basics though :)

shortround13

Dumb question, but I'm new to HAM as well. I've been doing some listening in and chatting on simplex and repeaters at home in CO. I come to the Bay a lot, if I bring my HT do I just program in the repeater or do I need to do something else to connect to the IRLP node to chat?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

camp4x4

Adventurer
Dumb question, but I'm new to HAM as well. I've been doing some listening in and chatting on simplex and repeaters at home in CO. I come to the Bay a lot, if I bring my HT do I just program in the repeater or do I need to do something else to connect to the IRLP node to chat?

Not a dumb question at all! This is what we're here for.

The IRLP reflector can be accessed from any repeater that is also IRLP connected. If you wanted to connect at home in CO you could find a repeater with IRLP, use that repeater to call the IRLP reflector and you'll get access to the net. It's good practice to drop the repeater trustee a note asking if it's cool to connect to the net since it will tie up the repeater for about an hour. Usually trustees are totally cool with it, they just appreciate you asking.

When you're in the Bay Area just plug in the W6SRR info - 147.045+ PL94.8 NFM (Narrowband FM) and you'll connect up (so long as you're in range).
If you're in the South Bay Area - San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Hollister, etc. Try K7DAA - 442.975+ PL100 FM

shortround13

Not a dumb question at all! This is what we're here for.

The IRLP reflector can be accessed from any repeater that is also IRLP connected. If you wanted to connect at home in CO you could find a repeater with IRLP, use that repeater to call the IRLP reflector and you'll get access to the net. It's good practice to drop the repeater trustee a note asking if it's cool to connect to the net since it will tie up the repeater for about an hour. Usually trustees are totally cool with it, they just appreciate you asking.

When you're in the Bay Area just plug in the W6SRR info - 147.045+ PL94.8 NFM (Narrowband FM) and you'll connect up (so long as you're in range).
If you're in the South Bay Area - San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Hollister, etc. Try K7DAA - 442.975+ PL100 FM
Cool thanks. I'll have to figure out any IRLP repeaters out here and how that works.

I'm usually in the South Bay when I'm there so that will be cool to connect on 70cm. I haven't made any contacts on that band yet

camp4x4

Adventurer
Cool thanks. I'll have to figure out any IRLP repeaters out here and how that works.

IRLP is actually pretty easy. Basically any IRLP repeater has a node number which is like a phone number. If you'd like to directly connect one repeater to another over IRLP, you use your DTMF keypad to dial the node number of the repeater you want to connect to. The caveat to that is that some repeaters are setup to require "secret" commands before they're dial an IRLP number.

Example:

W6SRR node number is 3399. If I want to connect to reflector 9351 for the net I simply program my radio to the repeater's frequency, shift and PL tone, key up the mic, then press 9-3-5-1. Assuming your signal gets through to the repeater clearly enough the repeater will connect to the reflector and you'll generally hear a message saying you're connected.

Now, K7DAA requires a code (one I won't share at the moment because I'm not 100% sure if the trustee would want me to...). But, suffice to say, I hit *-{the code}-9-3-5-1 and the repeater connects to the reflector.

If I wanted to connect K7DAA to W6SRR I'd dial *-{the code}-3-3-9-9 and they'd be connected directly to each other.

It's kind of like using an automated menu system on a phone call...

Now not all repeaters are connected to IRLP. Most, I'd say, aren't. You need to use a directory like Rfinder.com or RepeaterBook.com to find repeaters that have the service enabled.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles