Offroad & Overland Amateur Radio Net - Bay Area + IRLP

camp4x4

Adventurer
Thanks for organizing this! I'm going to try to join in from Boulder, CO this week. I've had my technician license for about 15 years but rarely (never) have a chance to practice.

KD5KUU

Awesome! Do you have an IRLP node close by there?

kd5kuu

Awesome! Do you have an IRLP node close by there?

Yes, there are several. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get confirmation from the clubs that run them that it's ok for me to connect to the reflector. Not sure I want to commandeer their repeater for an organized thing without approval first. I'm not a member of any of the local organizations here.

Anyone in the Boulder area plan on tuning in tonight? If so, which repeater will you be using?

camp4x4

Adventurer
Yes, there are several. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get confirmation from the clubs that run them that it's ok for me to connect to the reflector. Not sure I want to commandeer their repeater for an organized thing without approval first. I'm not a member of any of the local organizations here.

Anyone in the Boulder area plan on tuning in tonight? If so, which repeater will you be using?

So far we haven't had anyone connect from elsewhere. Which repeaters are you looking at using? If they aren't connected to other repeaters then you can likely just get on, say, "This is [callsign] and I'd like to connect to IRLP for a net if there's no other traffic." Wait a minute and if no one pipes up go for it.

You can find out if a repeater is connected to others usually by looking it up on RepeaterBook and then following any links to clubs or whatever... Most of the time they links full time links right on RepeaterBook.

Linked systems are the only ones I'd stay away from if you don't have permission from the trustee. Otherwise, just hop on and see if anyone minds...

captadv

Spectator
Typically, if a repeater is open to the public and has no access code for irlp, you just key up, identify yourself, ask if anyone minds if you use the irlp and when no one says anything (normal scenario) you go right ahead and use it. Be sure to disconnect the link when you're done.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kd5kuu

So far we haven't had anyone connect from elsewhere. Which repeaters are you looking at using? If they aren't connected to other repeaters then you can likely just get on, say, "This is [callsign] and I'd like to connect to IRLP for a net if there's no other traffic." Wait a minute and if no one pipes up go for it.

You can find out if a repeater is connected to others usually by looking it up on RepeaterBook and then following any links to clubs or whatever... Most of the time they links full time links right on RepeaterBook.

Linked systems are the only ones I'd stay away from if you don't have permission from the trustee. Otherwise, just hop on and see if anyone minds...

Well, no IRLP access for me tonight. I'll try to have it sorted out by next week. I joined a net for a club that runs an IRLP node earlier this evening. They were able to tell me that they had moved their IRLP repeater and to what frequency, but not where it's located and if there's a tone. I tried to hit it with no luck. It's possible that my little handheld isn't powerful enough.

Hoping for better luck next time!

camp4x4

Adventurer
Well, no IRLP access for me tonight. I'll try to have it sorted out by next week. I joined a net for a club that runs an IRLP node earlier this evening. They were able to tell me that they had moved their IRLP repeater and to what frequency, but not where it's located and if there's a tone. I tried to hit it with no luck. It's possible that my little handheld isn't powerful enough.

Hoping for better luck next time!

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, IRLP has turned out to be rather difficult for people to get access to. I'm still trying to get the repeater trustee on our end to get Echolink setup. That'd be a far more useable setup for folks from afar.

Hope you can find a node you can connect to in the mean time!

captadv

Spectator
I drove down to Portland to go-to HRO to buy the things to get my rig installed. I'll be in the air for this coming week from the Jeep Renegade!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

camp4x4

Adventurer
Great news for anyone who hasn't been able to use IRLP to connect remotely: barring any unforeseen issues, we should have Echolink active on the repeater by 6/1, possibly as early as next week's net! :wings:

So, if you've been wanting to join from outside the Bay Area, and don't have access to an IRLP node, your time is coming! Stay tuned!

artstine

Great news for anyone who hasn't been able to use IRLP to connect remotely: barring any unforeseen issues, we should have Echolink active on the repeater by 6/1, possibly as early as next week's net! :wings:

So, if you've been wanting to join from outside the Bay Area, and don't have access to an IRLP node, your time is coming! Stay tuned!

Did you get Echolink setup for this week? I was looking in the Echolink directory on my phone and I don't see it yet?

Art
W6ABS
VP Madhatters4x4

camp4x4

Adventurer
Did you get Echolink setup for this week? I was looking in the Echolink directory on my phone and I don't see it yet?

Art
W6ABS
VP Madhatters4x4

Hey Art,

Sadly, no. :( I think the owner is struggling a bit with some final config, so I'm trying my best to help him through that... but I don't think it'll be up for this week...

twinhauler

Aaron,

Thanks for getting this off-road NET going and keeping it going. I posted a link to this thread over in the Sierra Chapter of NAXJA. Its been good getting to know you guys and learning more about our Radios. There is so much to learn and read about, always a new function to figure out. The best help for myself has been just listening and spinning dials the last 6 months. This Net has been a great help!
John
KK6ONF
TwinHauler forum name..

artstine

Hey Art,

Sadly, no. :( I think the owner is struggling a bit with some final config, so I'm trying my best to help him through that... but I don't think it'll be up for this week...

Thanks - I generally try to have a handheld in my truck in case I'm on my commute when Weds evening comes along, but it would be convenient eventually to have Echolink working.

Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles