Offroad & Overland Amateur Radio Net - Bay Area + IRLP

captadv

Spectator
I tried the IRLP from WW7SEA Repeater in Seattle, WA.

If anyone heard W7PEA checking if the net was on, that was me.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Sorry about that! We couldn't get connected to IRLP on our end last night. I've asked the repeater owner to look into it. I'll post up again once it's fixed.

camp4x4

Adventurer
2 things: that repeater's Echolink node has a whitelist, so you have to request access prior to using it. Also, IRLP and EchoLink are typically (and in this case are) exclusive when in use; only one or the other can be used at a time.

For this net we use IRLP, so EchoLink will be disabled.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
2 things: that repeater's Echolink node has a whitelist, so you have to request access prior to using it. Also, IRLP and EchoLink are typically (and in this case are) exclusive when in use; only one or the other can be used at a time.

For this net we use IRLP, so EchoLink will be disabled.

Ahh okay. I was unaware. I'm a new ham and I've not used IRLP yet.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Ahh okay. I was unaware. I'm a new ham and I've not used IRLP yet.

There's a significant difference in the two services: Echolink you can use from your phone or computer. IRLP requires you to use a repeater to access either another repeater or a reflector. We use a reflector which allows multiple repeaters to be connected at once. So that's what the 9351 node # is for. If you've got an IRLP enabled repeater in your area you can use it to call the reflector and through that be connected to the net.

As I mentioned previously, our main repeater is having ISP issues, so the IRLP service is down at the moment. If you get connected up to the reflector and don't hear anything it's likely we're having issues on our end. I'll post up again when it's fixed.

It looks like there's only 4 IRLP nodes in all of Montana! https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/feature_search.php?state_id=30&type=IRLP and none appear to be within striking distance from Billings. Bozeman is the "closest" but that's still a pretty great distance... :(

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
There's a significant difference in the two services: Echolink you can use from your phone or computer. IRLP requires you to use a repeater to access either another repeater or a reflector. We use a reflector which allows multiple repeaters to be connected at once. So that's what the 9351 node # is for. If you've got an IRLP enabled repeater in your area you can use it to call the reflector and through that be connected to the net.

As I mentioned previously, our main repeater is having ISP issues, so the IRLP service is down at the moment. If you get connected up to the reflector and don't hear anything it's likely we're having issues on our end. I'll post up again when it's fixed.

It looks like there's only 4 IRLP nodes in all of Montana! https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/feature_search.php?state_id=30&type=IRLP and none appear to be within striking distance from Billings. Bozeman is the "closest" but that's still a pretty great distance... :(

Great info to know! Another awesome technology I have to fiddle with I guess. One of these times I'll have to try it out when I'm near Bozeman. I did a bit of reading up on it today and it sounds pretty powerful.

Doesn't surprise me that there aren't many here. I am a bit surprised we don't have a node near Billings. Gonna have to bug my radio club about that one haha. Yeah unfortunately that's a really long distance for UHF in my neck of the woods. Between me and that repeater is about 140 miles and a mountain range.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Great info to know! Another awesome technology I have to fiddle with I guess. One of these times I'll have to try it out when I'm near Bozeman. I did a bit of reading up on it today and it sounds pretty powerful.

Doesn't surprise me that there aren't many here. I am a bit surprised we don't have a node near Billings. Gonna have to bug my radio club about that one haha. Yeah unfortunately that's a really long distance for UHF in my neck of the woods. Between me and that repeater is about 140 miles and a mountain range.

Ha! Yeah, didn't think Bozeman would work out. If you're in tight with a club that runs a repeater and that repeater is somewhere near a phone line that can provide internet access, it isn't terribly hard to get an IRLP node setup...

camp4x4

Adventurer
The IRLP connection on the repeater should be up and good to go now. Hopefully it'll still be that way for the next net.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Ha! Yeah, didn't think Bozeman would work out. If you're in tight with a club that runs a repeater and that repeater is somewhere near a phone line that can provide internet access, it isn't terribly hard to get an IRLP node setup...

Might have to lean on the club then haha. We've got three repeaters in the city itself, should be easy to hook up a phone line.

captadv

Spectator
I'll be every once in awhile i have hockey at the same time now. :(

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

camp4x4

Adventurer
For anyone in the Santa Rosa area, we got the go ahead to use W6SON repeater for connecting via IRLP. If you can hit it - 441.375 + pl 88.5 - go ahead an punch in 9351 to connect up to the reflector at net time.

kd5kuu

Hey guys! We're gonna be on again tonight in a couple minutes! IRLP is live tonight :D

Thanks for organizing this! I'm going to try to join in from Boulder, CO this week. I've had my technician license for about 15 years but rarely (never) have a chance to practice.

KD5KUU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles