High Mileage Tracker- Take a look at or pass on it?

MikeSanford

My first post here.

Currently drive a Honda Fit, Porsche 914, and F350 Crew Cab Long Bed. Like my vehicles as small as possible but need the truck for work.

Do a little bit of exploring, unmaintained dirt roads, forest service roads, creek crossings. Not unusual to take off down a dirt track because it looks interesting. Have zero interest in rock-crawling or mud for mud's sake.

We have property 20 miles from Santa Fe,NM, last 4 miles are dirt and don't get plowed unless the snow is deep.

I've been looking for a little SUV, something my wife will drive if it snows, (she won't drive the truck), and that we can take exploring and fit in places where the truck won't. Leaning hard towards the Sidekick/Tracker/Vitara, like the frame and transfer case. Also considering XJ's.

1996 Tracker came up for sale on CL about 90 minutes away from me. 4 door, 178K miles. Been listed for a month at $2500. Has 4" body lift, roof rack, snorkel, lights on rack, 29" tires. Cylinder head, timing pump, radiator, all replaced. Auto trans replaced with another used tranny.

Every once in a while I see one with half the miles, stock, for about the same price. I've never bought a vehicle with more than 120k on it, not sure I want to. Then I think, a lot of what would go wrong has already been taken care of, and the upgrades would save some time and money.

I do a lot of the work on my own vehicles but don't enjoy it.

Worth the drive to look over or should I wait for a lower mileage SUV?

Thanks,

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I would pass. Mostly because of the body lift. They create a lot of torque on the body, and typically anything more than 2 inches will cause issues (metal fatigue, broken bolts, linkage and wiring issues etc). Also, i'm not a huge fan of buying other people's projects. You would likely be better off finding a stock one and customizing it to fit your needs.

MikeSanford

I'm going to take the advice and pass. I got excited because it "looked" like what I want, but between the mileage, auto tranny, and the way its lifted, it really isn't.
I've got all the time in the world.

Thanks

captwoody

Adventurer
IMG_20150111_170601570_HDR.jpgIMG_20140411_110952480_HDR[1].jpgComing from somebody who built an 01 tracker 2.5" susp lift 2" body lift, rock sliders, ARB Locker and put a new engine in I would like to clarify on your lift. if it is all 4" body lift I would pass but it is common to combine totals of the suspension lift and body lift and if that's the case I would go for it. these engines routinely go 250000 miles. mine had 230,000 when I just got nervous about miles and put new one in. with those tires if you add a locker to the rear it will go anywhere a stock JK will shorter wheelbase better approach angles. and since I own a 2014 2dr jk and have owned a tracker as well I feel I have the experience to comment. Trackers are not a ball of power in the HP category but they climb like mountain goats and get mpg,s in the 20's.hope it helps Woody

MikeSanford

Trucklet looked obviously lifted in the photos, when I asked how and how much, I was told it was a 4" body lift. I'll take the owners word on that.

The 914 is ridiculously fun but not yet sorted out, kind of threw that in there as evidence that I like my autos tiny.

I'll just hold out for a low mileage manual.

Happykamper

Explorer
Captwoody is spot on. I have a 1997 , 3" suspension and 3" body. You never can tell if the owner is informed correctly on the lift as the age suggests multiple owners. The miles would not be worrisome as these are pretty much bulletproof. The auto trans , is where you need to look carefully . It's expensive, when I bought mine everything was perfect except the trans 2100 later...but that included new motor mounts and a complete rebuild all the way through. It would cost less then half that to rebuild the motor.
These are pretty cheap for what your getting, but the prices are going up. If you have been passing on 4x4 trackers with 120k with the 1.6l you need to grab the very next one you see for 2500.00. A decent one goes for 4500-5500 stock.

rpintx1

Observer
In October I picked up a 2003 Chevy Tracker, 2.0, 5 spd. I got super lucky, one owner, 84k on the odo and clean as a pin. What I have found is that there is not as much aftermarket support for this generation. The earlier generation has more aftermarket support and I HIGHLY recommend Low Range Offroad in Utah for aftermarket support (ask for William, he is awesome and knows his stuff about Suzukis!). I"ve got a post under Expedition vehicles as a 2003 Chevy Tracker. I had back surgery in November so can't work on it myself right now, but it's going in tomorrow for a spring/ spring spacer/shocks and extended struts lift kit. I'll post some pictures up after I get it back and go to the tire shop. The more I drive it, the more I love it. BUT, with the 2.0 and the 5 spd and low gears (4.6 something range) you can't pull out in front of moving traffic. It doesn't like much over 3,000 rpm and being geared so low (with is good in my opinion for trail riding), it won't win any drag races. But that's not what I bought it for. I bought it for trail riding with my young daughters. They love it Every time we leave the house, they want to go in the Tracker. I figure my oldest who is 8 can start sitting on my lap on dirt roads and simple trails and start steering, just like I learned to drive with my Dad. Good luck in your search, If I come across anything here in El Paso (can you say rust free?) I'll shoot you a PM. I'd be a little concerned about the mileage on the one you found. but engine rebuild kits are cheap, but tranny and differentials aren't as cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles