The Fun Hog Build Thread: 2007 Chevy Express AWD

45Kevin

Adventurer
For the swivel? The Swivel is about 2" tall. I can go measure it if you would like. It's not uncomfortable, or anything, but is noticeable the first time you sit in it. It's well worth the upgrade and the additonal height is certainly not a deal breaker.

There are several guys on this forum that have used that swivel, and cut 2" out of the base to get the front seats even in height. Check some of the build threads in the AWD thread.

On Belay

Observer
Just picked up some new wheels and tires for the rig. I went with 16x8 Procomp La Paz and 265/75/16 BF Goodrich AT KO2. I'm really loving the van's new look, far more rad adventure vehicle and less boring cargo van.

I haven't had a chance to do much investigation yet but was pretty surprised to see that the slider door catches on the tire, even without the trim panel. It will open about 3/4 of it's normal amount. My set up is pretty similar to what most others on here are running. 265/75/16 is more or less equivalent to 265/70/17 which seems to be the most popular choice and rubbing hasn't been an issue for anyone else. I suppose I have an inch more sidewall in play, and rather aggressive sidewall lugs. I actually made a concerted effort to keep the wheels tucked in. The factory wheels have a +28mm OS and the Procomps a +6mm (others have gone with 0mm Offset which would put the wheel even further out).

I have a Traxxda lift kit and Skyjacker Shocks that I need to install. Also debating finding a donor Suburban for the 1900lb rear leafs. With the additional 2-3" of lift the clearance issue may resolve itself (as the slider tapers lower down). If not I'll look into either extending the slider roller or cutting and welding the door (ala BajaSportmobile on the SMB Forums). It's perfectly useable opening 3/4 but it would seem incomplete to just leave it.

IMG_1009.jpg
IMG_1007.jpg

North

Observer
I've been patiently waiting for somebody to take the leap and determine what tire will fit for the slider version of the AWD Express. Seems like there should be a better way to figure this out ahead of purchasing wheels tires, but so far, that appears to be the only way to know for sure! I will say that visually the 265/75/16 BFG KO2s on my buddy's van seemed noticably larger in every way than the 265/75/16 Cooper AT3s I'm running, but he's running a different width rim, etc.

Hobbs67

285/70/17 with slider

I had a '09 Savana AWD with the sliding door. I used the Rough Country lift. 3" block in the rear and torsion keys up front. I used the factory 17" wheels with the 285 tires and there was plenty of room for the sliding door.

Last edited:

On Belay

Observer
BFG's have a reputation for being "full value" when it comes to tire size, but I'm still a bit miffed based on everything I've seen online they should fit. The rubbing is fairly minor though and based on my measurements with the extra 2" or so of height from the lift it should just clear.

I don't think I'll be able to use the factory trim panel however. That's all right as I kicking around the idea of getting some custom sized Molle panels made for the slider and rear doors. I just picked up some Smittybilt G.E.A.R Seat covers and have been really impressed with the modular and efficient storage the Molle system provides it's a nice compliment to the compact space in the van and really increases the useable storage in what would otherwise be wasted space. The thin canvas panels should help slider clearance. I'm currently designing around a single row of pouches below the handle and lock assembly with a white dry erase board mounted next to it (in the area that will need to clear the body when the door is open. I figure I can attach the panels with a strong velcro or riveted on snaps.

On Belay

Observer
Working on picking out parts and designing various systems. This weekend it was the propane system. I'll be running both a propane Propex furnace and a single burner stove.

I've already purchased and have the following:
-Propex HS2211 Heater: This can be mounted inside or outside the van. I had been hoping to mount on the underside of the van but am struggling find a place where the furnace fits that is still close to the propane tank mounting location. (center of the driver side). I'll probably end up mounting inside.
-SMEV Single Burner Sink/Stove Combo.

Right now I'm looking at purchasing the following:

-Manchester 6814 7.9 Gallon Tank: There are cheaper options (Flame King on Amazon is half the price at $235 vs. $483 but has some questionable reviews, less than ideal valve placement, and a more complicated mounting). Manchester has proven reputation and looks to be a pretty seamless fit for the Express. Should bolt right to the floor (I'll probably incorporate backing plates of some sort to reinforce the sheet metal - probably need to learn to weld soon...)
-Camco Two Stage Horizontal Regulator:Basic horizontal regulator, seems to be well reviewed.
-Mr. Buddy Univeral Propane Hookup Kit: Not totally sure on this one it's a pretty basic hose kit, and I'm thinking a shrouded hose offers more protection than bare rubber.
-Bulkhead Fitting: This will go through the floor of the van. The flex hose from the tank will connect the outside. I'm thinking that I'll mount a tee fitting on the inside to split the propane system then run flex lines to both the stove and Propex.

I'm not planning to do much with hard lines and rigid piping right now. Just a small extension off the stove since it uses a flare fitting? (I think). Are there any particular advantages I should be considering? Flex lines just seems to be more versatile and easier to install. In a moving vehicle where the things will inevitably flex and shift a bit, flex lines seem to my eyes to have real advantage in durability over time.

This is one of the systems I'm most nervous about installing and executing correctly so I would love any feedback and opinions the community may have. I haven't seen many threads with propane install details so if there are good ones I've missed a lead on where to look would be outstanding.

Last edited:

North

Observer
I just put an HS2211 in my Express last week - used it for the first time this weekend in Jackson. There are 5-6 threads on TheSamba.com showing install. It's pretty straightforward IMO. I installed mine inside alongside the passenger wheel well. I was unable to use the supplied brackets for mounting and had to make my own, which was the only tricky part for me.

On Belay

Observer
I just put an HS2211 in my Express last week - used it for the first time this weekend in Jackson. There are 5-6 threads on TheSamba.com showing install. It's pretty straightforward IMO. I installed mine inside alongside the passenger wheel well. I was unable to use the supplied brackets for mounting and had to make my own, which was the only tricky part for me.

Any chance you could snap some photos of your setup? I would be particularly interested in seeing your modifications to the bracket. Which propane tank did you use? How did your run the lines through the floor?

North

Observer
Busy week but I'll try to get some photos. I didn't modify the stock brackets just made new ones out of aluminum stock instead. I'm using a BBQ tank because they're available everywhere and easy to swap in/out. The safety of this method vs exterior mount is a subject of great debate - I'm comfortable with it given the following:

1. I have an LP gas alarm
2. The tank will be housed in an enclosure, which will be vented to the outside of the vehicle

I cut the holes for the lines using a hole saw (don't remember which size)

rockbender

Adventurer
Here is an 8" diameter tank for reference:
IMG_0641.jpg
I believe it is a 5.9 gal capacity, sourced through gowesty.

I tried to shove a 10" diameter piece of pipe (may have been 12") between the body and frame and didn't like the way it fit so went with the smaller tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles