EPA mandated gas can horror stories:

AK.xplorer

Observer
Anyone find all these horrific gas caps causing more pollution than the simple ones we used to use?

I swear, I've gotten more gas all over the ground, my hands and the equipment i'm trying fuel up, trying to actuate all these spring loaded doo dads, than I ever did years ago with the simpler gas cans.

Remember the days when a typical gas can had a vent hole on one side with a cap, and a flexible hose that conveniently stored in the container? Fueling up was effortless, clean and fast.

what happened?

jschmidt

Adventurer
The can companies create the compliant spouts. The basic requirements are complete auto shutoff and no vapor release. Your beef is with the can manufacturers.

I agree they are ****ty. But unlike older cans, when they tip, they don't leak everything. That's the intention.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I have 2 of the EPA cans, one of the spouts has a flaw and is usually messy but the other one has a much smoother mechanism and works amazingly, exactly as intended now that I know how to use it. It's frustrating that both are from the same manufacturer and vary in quality so much.

But they still go so slow. The old flexible spout caps fit on the new gas cans so I just use the spout from my old cans on all the new ones to drain them into the tank faster.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
It's sort of an IQ test, which I failed. It took me about 3 years to figure out how these newfangled things work. With practice they work pretty well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I just bring an older, non-EPA spout and when it's time to fill the tank I use that one. The EPA spout on my cans (RotoPax) is part of the cap so it has to stay on but I haven't actually used it since (I think) 2012.
Others use a hand-powered siphon pump and I've thought of going that way. Nice for big cans because you don't have to stand there holding a 5 gallon (35lb) fuel can while it drains into your tank, just set the can on the ground and use the pump to get the gas into the tank.

BrianV

Observer
I've been happy with my "No-Spill" Gas cans, you can buy them on amazon. I have 4, 3 for gas and 1 for diesel.
I'm probably a fairly heavy home user of these as they get used for Dirt Bikes, Yard Equipment, Generator and reserve fuel for the trucks. No complaints here.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Horror story is the gas can that was $5 is now $20 and worse quality :)

You can buy a full size plastic lawn chair for $3 but a little gas can is $20? Lawyers...

Coachgeo

Explorer
then again...... there is now a market for convert -a- caps that replace the BS environmental caps on these camps. That was the Democrats way of creating jobs (for the Chinese)

as mentioned earlier you can find caps on ebay, via web searches and even thru youtube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles