DSLR question

Eric K

Observer
The big thing is when you are newer to photography and thinking about upgrading, plan it out carefully. The lenses are extremely important to your camera and lenses only work on one camera type. So if you are thinking about upgrading and taking it more seriously, it's time to research not just your camera body, but what lenses you think you might want/afford in the future. I run Nikon and have no complaints whatsoever (aside from the prices of this stuff!), but if I decided to ditch Nikon for a new brand, it would be really expensive for me to get the lenses I have now on another brand. So barring lottery, I am Nikon for life.

Brewtus

Adventurer
So, an interesting thing has happened here in the last week or so... Pentax just announced the KP which is to the K1 what the D500 is to the D5... All the bells and whistles of the full frame pro camera, in an APSC body... For $800 less than the full frame equivalent. It even has the weather sealing (which pentax is famous for) and sensor stabilization from the K1... I'll probably keep my Nikon stuff for general usage, but for landscape timelapses and stills... I think I may be moving into the Pentax world. If only it had 4k... perhaps in the mark ii version.

Just something to keep in mind as you mull over your future options. At $1100 the KP seems like very stiff competition with the D500 at $2000. Different uses, yes. But you pair this with the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and you're looking at perhaps the best landscape APSC camera on the market. Or throw the Rokinon 10 2.8 or the 16 2.0 on there with "Astrotrace" for one of the best APSC Astro cameras.

I may be profusely excited about this camera... if you couldn't tell. Thought I'd share.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanks again for all your replies! It's funny, after having the "short coming" of my K10D pointed out to me they are now glaringly clear. Things I'd always noticed but never really paid attention to. For example lining up an action shot of my son surfing a wave I press the button to shoot and rather than take the picture it refocuses. I just got into the habit of doing a pre-shot while he was standing up so it was ready for the real shot. Also, my low light shots are very grainy, they look terrible no matter how much I play with them in light room!
So, one last line of questions. My options seem to be:
# The Pentax K3II. This camera would allow me to use my existing lenses. I have Promaster 3.5 - 22 that has a zoom of 28-300 with auto focus etc. I also have an old manual fisheye lens. It's a MC Zenitar-K2, 8/16
These are both older lenses so I'm concerned that getting the K3 may not be the full solution. I may need a lens or two as well anyway.
So that brings me to option 2 which is the Nikon D500. This camera get's rave reviews. The body is almost twice the price as the Pentax AND I'd need at least one lens for now but is it the better long term investment??
And now Brewtus just mentioned the Pentax KP. This could be a good option but again though is it worth it with my current older lenses?
So, I guess at the end of all this my main question is with my current lenses set up a a newer Pentax camera body give me significantly better picture quality and less missed shot?

Thanks again as always for your input. This is going to be a big investment for me so I want to cover all my bases before I decide.

Brewtus

Adventurer
I think like we said before, it depends on what you want to do with it. (Also Budget)

Sports/Action/Wildlife/4k video such as your son's surfing? D500. The focusing system on it is unmatched by anything short of the D5. This and the 4k video is what you're paying for.

Landscapes/still-life etc. Pentax would serve you fine, but you have to give up some of the AF functionality of the faster D500. Sensor stabilization and weather sealing.

Like we said before glass is 90% the answer. The Sigma 18-35 F1.8 is by every measure I have found, the best lens you can get for APS-C. The drawback is that it's not stabilized. With that in mind, the stabilized sensors of the pentax cameras pair nicely with it. I don't know much about tele options for APS-C, it seems like most of the good tele glass is intended for full frame (70-200 f2.8 and the like). T. Northrup recommends the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 with the D500. Tamron makes a 70-200 f2.8 for Pentax, but not sure if it's as sharp as the Nikon version as it appears to be a different lens (Check DXO Mark).

In terms of your current lenses, I have no experience with them to know whether they're sharp enough for a newer body to give you noticeably sharper images. Perhaps DXO Mark could help answer this for you.

If you could afford it, and could wait, a sensor stabilized version of the D500 (Assuming they ever make one) would be by far the best option.

D

Deleted member 96197

A lot of good advice here, normally I would second spending the money on glass, but in your case I would be hesitant to spend too much on glass as there isn't a lot of support for the pentax stuff. Although I have occasionally seen used pentax glass sell for next to nothing.
I would keep rocking what you have until you find yourself needing to upgrade (Larger prints, Action shots, night/astro, or whatever), then invest in a system that is a little more futureproof (as much as a camera can be).

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanks again, now I've narrowed it down to the new Pentax KP or the Nikon D500. The Nikon system will be about $1K more for sure. As far as what photography I'm doing, it really needs to be a jack of all trades. We are traveling full time so I shoot landscape, animals, and am trying to do some night shot's. Also we race bikes (road and MTN) and surf so I shoot that as well. We are still having a blast in Costa Rica at the moment but will be back in the States in 9 days. B&H photo has both cameras so with the info you all have provided and some input from them once I'm back I'll get something! I'll let you know.........

Brewtus

Adventurer
If you do end up going with the D500, consider the kit that comes with the 16-80 f2.8-4. This is supposed to be a pro level dx lens and the numbers would suggest that it's the best option around with VR. Unfortunately, there are very few reviews out there for this lens and no testing on DXO Mark yet. I really like my slightly older 16-85 f3.5-5.6, though it's scores suggest that it's only a little better than the normal kit lens on average. The kit I think is $500 more, but that lens itself is over $1000.

Either way... Sigma 18-35 1.8 for situations that don't need VR.

Interested to hear what you go with. Also, get off the internet while you're on vacation! Go outside!

rcharrette

Adventurer
So I've decided to go with the D500. I'm planning to purchase from B&H. I'm going to do the kit with the 16-80mm lens:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ils&Q=&sku=1214162&is=REG&bundleId=1214162REG

I also want to be able to shoot longer shot's like my son surfing, racing his bike etc so I'm looking at this lens:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=1111441&is=REG

Last, I currently have a fisheye and really have fun with it. This one is pretty pricey. Is it good or can I consider something else?https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._ATX107PRODXN_10_17mm_f_3_5_4_5_AT_X_107.html

If you have any suggestion on better lenses and a better price PLEASE let me know :)

Brewtus

Adventurer
So the 55-200 is definitely a cheap way to get a little reach, I have one, but it's only been on my camera maybe once or twice. I have the FX 70-300 f3.5-5.6 and that's about $300 used. It is, however, a MASSIVE lens; other photographers may be intimidated by the length. The 55-200 is the kit lens you can get with the D3300/5300 so everyone has one and few if any want to buy it (Saturated market with no demand = low price). Definitely don't buy it new. Buy it used on amazon or craigslist. I'm personally trying to sell my kit lenses and cant get anyone to be interested.

For a fish eye, look to the Rokinon 8mm. It's not a zoom like the one you have shown and it doesn't have autofocus, but it's less than half the price, and Rokinon glass is actually pretty good. That said, with a fish eye, who cares terribly about image quality.

unplannedbbq

Adventurer
x2 on the Rokinon manual focus 8mm f3.5 - I picked one up for $100 on craigs. It's a great "trick" lens for crop-sensor cameras. I'm heading to peru carrying a 6D w/ 35mm f2 IS, SL1 w/ 70-200 f4 IS, and the 8mm as a bonus in the bag.

I have a buddy selling an image-stabilized tamron 70-200 2.8 for nikon mount. It's a beast, but fast & great IQ. PM if you have any interest.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Hi all, wanted to follow up one last time on this. I ended up getting the Nikon D500 kit which included the 16-80 mm lens. I also got a Tamaron 150-600mm F5 -6.3. Super excited to get out shooting. Thanks again for all your advice.
b9eb348e87782d6bb916205c43b1f8e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneckdan

Awesome!

I upgraded from a K100 to a D750 about 9 months ago. I was having electrical issues with the K100 and started noticing issues that you mentioned became more glaringly obvious; focus, grainy, etc...

rcharrette

Adventurer
Yea, I was really stuck on staying with Pentax for a while because I had 3 K-mount lenses but I slowly realized my lenses were as old as the K10D and probably just as bad so sticking them on a new camera would be a waste. I've been thrilled with the Nikon D500 so far. Heading out again tonight to shot my Son surfing with the Tamaron 150-600. Should be fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles