New to hunting

bigskypylot

Explorer
This is an awesome thread. I love to see people start hunting at any age or skill level! It sounds like you're already a experienced outdoorsman. Your hiking boots, base layers, and most gear will do double duty for hunting no problem. No need to go crazy, hunting is mostly hiking with gun. Start with your normal kit, add the stuff to take care of the meat and you're golden.

What I add to my normal hiking kit.
Havalon knife w/extra blades
game bags
surgical gloves
ziplocs
I often carry powdered citric acid and a empty spray bottle when I'm expecting warm temps or a long hike out. (keeps bacteria and flies off the meat)

As far as guns, everybody has their own opinion. I'd way rather hunt with someone that puts 200 rounds through a .260 or 6.5 getting ready for a hunt than someone who puts 1 box a through a .300 Ultra Mag. Due to cost, and recoil it's more realistic for me to have a 40 round range session with a .260 or 6.5 vs a 7mm or .300. The svelte little 6mm,(.260) and 6.5 will cleanly take all NA game. If you can head out to range and shoot a few different calibers.

Practice from a variety of shooting positions. Your shot in the field will not be from a bench. Prone supported on a pack, kneeling over shooting sticks (even a trekking pole), off a log or branch, etc. I don't take shots offhand, unless it's Archery distance.

As for brands, I really enjoy shooting my Tikka T3, a lot of bang for buck if you will pardon the pun. Expect to spend more on glass than the rifle, and don't skimp on mounts. Blue loctite is your friend.

Kudos on the guide decision. I don't care what the skill, you can shave years of the learning curve under the tutelage of a skilled professional, especially one that can translate into a language you speak. Just be clear with your guide in what your expectations and goals are e.g. you want to be a active participant, not just an observer.

Lastly, the hunt lives and dies on the wind direction. Wind, wind, wind.

Good luck!

Tikka is one heckuva rifle, especially for the price. I'm kinda stuck on Weatherby just because that's what we've always had. I'm giving Tikka a hard look for my next rifle

Dalko43

Explorer
Boots before anything. I love my Kenetreks

http://www.kenetrek.com/

I might get those kind of boots eventually. For people just getting into hunting, spending $400-$500 for boots might be a bit too much. And also your region and style of hunting will dictate what you really need. For deep backcountry hunting in Alaska, I agree that you'll want top quality boots. For stand hunting in PA, those kinds of boots are probably overkill.

I picked up some used Irish Setters, full leathers, for about $40-$50, and they have been more than adequate for hunting in the Adirondacks. As I spend more time hunting and earn more money, I'll probably get some better boots. But for the OP, as long as you don't get a cheap quality boot (I personally favor leather over suede for wet and rough environments) you should be fine.

Also, you want a good scope, with good tracking and preferably a MIL or MOA reticle if you're taking long range shots. But don't go overboard with it; it will inevitably be subjected to abuse, so you'll be kicking yourself if you end up breaking a top-dollar scope while out on a hunt. Also the lighter the package (rifle, scope, bipods, ect.) the better.

On the same topic, I'd also do your best to avoid buying brand new, top-of-the-line clothing from hunting stores. $150 for pants, $250-$350 for a jacket, ect. is not worth it, especially when you consider how your clothing will be subjected to lots of wear and tear and you'll probably be buying replacements in 2-4 years' time. I put together entire hunting ensembles by shopping at mil surplus or discount stores (Sportsman guide is a good one http://www.sportsmansguide.com/). The craftsmanship certainly isn't the same as the more expensive stuff, but it will last you a good while and you're not breaking the bank to dress yourself.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I've got the boots covered from backpacking already. I did get a Zeiss scope that seems like it'll fit the bill nice. Now I need to get down to gun shop at order the Tikka rifle, I need to get some practice in and get it dialed in. I've been busy lately getting my new truck setup. I did order a Leer 100XQ topper for the truck. Looking forward to that as I've never had a camper shell before.

NitroExpress

Observer
You have received some good advise so far. Your decision to hire a guide is wise, it will get you ahead of the learning curve quick. Look for somebody that is a good teacher. One item I haven't seen mentioned is getting a decent pair of binoculars. 10x42 is a good all around choice and will make your hunt much better. This is another item where you get what you pay for, but you don't have to go overboard while getting started. I would avoid the $100 unit, but you can find good glass in the $3-600 range (Leupold, Vortex, etc.). Good luck!!!

zimm

Expedition Leader
glad i found this, i know you were waiting for me.

step one. kill something. the first time i had a dude in a group regret killing something, i guess i was the one that was shocked. so i would say, if youre in OK, theres got to be ground hogs and trailer dwellers. practice killing them, then move to the beautiful creatures you may regret.

Buy a used gun. I'd do a local hunt first, with a nice used 30/06, 308, 243, or the like. my top 3 guns are all used. dont be a snob. in fact, ALL the glass i have now is used, as im partial to old redfield rangefinder systems.

watch processing vids, and take the ipad with you. with surgical gloves, of course. and not your wifes ipad. she wont be cool.

do not process on the dining room table with your buddy merrel. it will not be appreciated.

Dont feel bad if you let one get away, just because. i have a lot of moments, where im sipping coffee and i play Amon Goeth, and i use my godlike powers and grant them life, just to see what they do. ... that and im sipping coffee and theres no way id get the gun up in time so i may as well watch. if they are dumb enough to be seen again, well... Amon Goeth doth kill too.

pick a classic round to start. 9.3x62 may be fun, but the local store isnt gonna have it when yours is lost in shipment. on a trail you want the common tire size, on a hunt you want the common caliber.

scotch carries well. cold or warm, and has enough punch to keep the heat up.

Ive drifted from heavy glass too, btw. if was just observing, and didnt have another 10pound lump hanging off of me, id take something nice. as it is i use small bruntons.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lol zimm needs a paid position writing a weekly editorial for Expo. I don't think they realize what Zimm actually brings to the table. Maybe a weekly "Zimms World" column or something.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Plain Jane, I am in NE OK(Sand Springs) as well. We elk hunt(archery) in CO on a pretty regular basis. I am a lifelong hunter as well, although not necessarily a good one.

Didn't see it mentioned, and if it was, sorry to that person. Make sure you take hunters ed. All states pretty much require it. Since you are pretty new, I would skip the online OK version, and find an actual class and take it. A lot of valuable info gets passed on.

As far as rifles, My newest one is 30 years old, so I can't help you much there. Mostly a bow hunter. Lots of good advice given already

PM me if you want to chat more.

realwarrior

Realwarrior
Start with small game. Squirrels, Rabbit, Birds. Now is the time to turkey hunt. All of these can be hunted with the same shotgun. Different chokes and different shells but the same gun. Easier to learn the art of the stalk and a lot easier than a 700 lb elk, to pack off of the mountain.

SEREvince

Adventurer
Regret or something similar is a pretty normal reaction. I don't know how to explain it. I have a great respect for the animals I hunt, and I enjoy the chase itself. Part of it may be that the hunt is over once the trigger is pulled or arrow is loosed. Some of it is melancholy on the death of a majestic creature. Don't get me wrong, I get a jolt of excitement when my target species walks into range and offers up the shot. I talk myself through making a perfect shot and celebrate after. Elation at the well placed shot. Then the adrenaline has ebbed and I'm sitting there with my prize at hand I'll thank the animal for it's gifts. While I don't carry on whooping and hollering, or shed any tears, I would competently understand and respect the range of emotions that someone experiences at the end of a successful hunt.

Just get out there, enjoy the hunt, learn everything you can about your prey and it's environment. Look at it as your trying to obtain your PhD in the behavior of your quarry in those specific conditions. Take notes! When you make mistakes, analyze what happened. For most ungulates get between their bedding area and their food source, have the wind in your face, sit still, and you'll have a good chance.

Cheers

Vince

zimm

Expedition Leader
did you kill anything yet?

dont kill a turkey. cleaning them sucks and so do they. i dont get the turkey thing, its one protein mass production farming has done us a favor with.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Start with small game. Squirrels, Rabbit, Birds. Now is the time to turkey hunt. All of these can be hunted with the same shotgun. Different chokes and different shells but the same gun. Easier to learn the art of the stalk and a lot easier than a 700 lb elk, to pack off of the mountain.

You can't hunt elk with a shotgun(it's illegal), and wild turkey meat is disgusting, so FJC needs to skip all of this and move on with his rifle.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Regret or something similar is a pretty normal reaction. I don't know how to explain it. I have a great respect for the animals I hunt, and I enjoy the chase itself. Part of it may be that the hunt is over once the trigger is pulled or arrow is loosed. Some of it is melancholy on the death of a majestic creature. Don't get me wrong, I get a jolt of excitement when my target species walks into range and offers up the shot. I talk myself through making a perfect shot and celebrate after. Elation at the well placed shot. Then the adrenaline has ebbed and I'm sitting there with my prize at hand I'll thank the animal for it's gifts. While I don't carry on whooping and hollering, or shed any tears, I would competently understand and respect the range of emotions that someone experiences at the end of a successful hunt.

Just get out there, enjoy the hunt, learn everything you can about your prey and it's environment. Look at it as your trying to obtain your PhD in the behavior of your quarry in those specific conditions. Take notes! When you make mistakes, analyze what happened. For most ungulates get between their bedding area and their food source, have the wind in your face, sit still, and you'll have a good chance.

Cheers

Vince

My first thought after I shot 2 elk 4 minutes apart and the adrenaline wore off was, "what the he!! did I just do?" and "how are we going to get these out of here?!!", it was 4 miles to the nearest road and my buddy wanted to kill me for shooting 2 at the same time. Luckily I got someone on the phone who had horses to come up the next day, but that was one long night with quartering both elk and packing some of it out and got to the truck at 4 AM. Hunting is essentially playing hide and go seek with the animals until you actually shoot one, then the real work begins!

bigskypylot

Explorer
My first thought after I shot 2 elk 4 minutes apart and the adrenaline wore off was, "what the he!! did I just do?" and "how are we going to get these out of here?!!", it was 4 miles to the nearest road and my buddy wanted to kill me for shooting 2 at the same time. Luckily I got someone on the phone who had horses to come up the next day, but that was one long night with quartering both elk and packing some of it out and got to the truck at 4 AM. Hunting is essentially playing hide and go seek with the animals until you actually shoot one, then the real work begins!

That's when the real work begins :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94