New to hunting

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm a lifelong fisherman, and have always wanted to hunt I just didn't know where to begin. I just bought Steve Rinellas book "The complete guide to hunting,butchering, and cooking wild game" volume 1. Its interesting and I'm learning a lot. Any tips for an adult to learn the does and dont's of hunting? I have experiencing backpacking and hope to make it on an Elk trip next season in Colorado. I clean fish all the time but I have a feeling the first time I go to harvest an animal I'm going to be in waay over my head!

rk_az

Adventurer
A few suggestions:

- Find an experienced hunter to learn from

- Lots of material can be found on youtube

- Join some hunting-centric forums where you can do lots of searching, reading, asking questions

- Read the hunting regulations for any state(s) you want to hunt in cover to cover

- Buy a license and .22 and start hunting small game

- Take a hunter safety course

bigskypylot

Explorer
A few suggestions:

- Join some hunting-centric forums where you can do lots of searching, reading, asking questions

- Read the hunting regulations for any state(s) you want to hunt in cover to cover

What he said^^^

Good choice on Steve's books. His other books are great reads. Been a fan of his for a good10 years. Check out his YouTube channel along with Randy Newberg's. The biggest thing besides all the stuff listed above is being in shape to put in the miles and a good pair of boots that are broken in. I love my Kenetreks
If you can find a nice O/U wiIth a .22/20ga or 410. That would make a great small game gun. I have a Savage Model 24J .22mag/20ga I got from my uncle. Love it

Dalko43

Explorer
A few suggestions:

I'll agree with most of the above as well. Though I will add the caveat that different game and different locations require different approaches. Yes there are some generalities that all types of hunting have in common, but hunting elk in the mountains of Montana is going to be quite different from hunting deer in Maine. You'll want to figure out what is you want hunt and where it is, and plan from there. For most types of big-game hunting, the retrieval and pack out of the meat is just as important as actually finding an animal.

Finding an experienced hunter to talk to, learn from and even hunt with (if he/she is willing to have you along) is definitely a good idea. Nothing wrong with figuring things out on your own as well, just be prepared for a lot of trial and error.

Steve Rinella's book is a great resource and it's definitely worth the money. IMHO, he is also a very good ambassador for the hunting community at large and he always has insightful words for fellow hunters to consider.

And one last note is that while the actual hunting season is limited, the preparation never really ends (at least for those truly dedicated hunters). I don't know what the season is out west now, but here in NY big-game season is over until it starts up again next fall. But that shouldn't preclude hunters from going out and scouting different areas, learning about the animals' patterns, habits, and food sources. You have to do your homework and prep over the next 8-9 months if you want to have success when the next fall season starts up.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'll agree with most of the above as well. Though I will add the caveat that different game and different locations require different approaches. Yes there are some generalities that all types of hunting have in common, but hunting elk in the mountains of Montana is going to be quite different from hunting deer in Maine. You'll want to figure out what is you want hunt and where it is, and plan from there. For most types of big-game hunting, the retrieval and pack out of the meat is just as important as actually finding an animal.

Finding an experienced hunter to talk to, learn from and even hunt with (if he/she is willing to have you along) is definitely a good idea. Nothing wrong with figuring things out on your own as well, just be prepared for a lot of trial and error.

Steve Rinella's book is a great resource and it's definitely worth the money. IMHO, he is also a very good ambassador for the hunting community at large and he always has insightful words for fellow hunters to consider.

And one last note is that while the actual hunting season is limited, the preparation never really ends (at least for those truly dedicated hunters). I don't know what the season is out west now, but here in NY big-game season is over until it starts up again next fall. But that shouldn't preclude hunters from going out and scouting different areas, learning about the animals' patterns, habits, and food sources. You have to do your homework and prep over the next 8-9 months if you want to have success when the next fall season starts up.

In Montana, you can find something to hunt year round. Look in to Bow hunting and Muzzle loader too...You'll be busy if you have the time

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
"Hunt" every time you're in the woods, I grew up hunting and it's just a different way of being in and looking at the woods. Just like how a kayaker or photographer looks at a body of water differently than a fisherperson.

1. Be ethical. Close gates, get permission, only take shots very well within your comfort range, don't road hunt, don't drive off trail. Be ok with disappointment.
2. Get some heavy all leather boots (e.g. Danner Mountain Light IIs) and wear them every day for months before your first hunt.
3. Walk up and down hills over and over and over and over. Then introduce a pack filled as it would be for a trip and repeat over and over and over in all weather in your hunting boots.
4. Get a decent binocular or monocular and spend time glassing everytime you go for a hike
5. Practice shooting with a 22lr similar in weight/design to your hunting rifle. For example I shoot savages (they're lefty friendly and very accurate) and have a bolt action .270 and a bolt action 22lr both with accu trigger and nearly the same size.
-Don't get a light weight gun. They suck for holding steady and the 2lbs you save can likely come from body fat plus the recoil will be worse. I like 30-06 or .270 for all around including elk.
-Buy decent optics nikon, vortex etc.
-Practice shooting in all sorts of weird positions and not from a bench. Even better, do cardio then shoot and repeat. You'll learn your real world accuracy.
6. Join an advocacy group like Back Country Hunters and Anglers, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Good way to meet fellow hunters.
7. Keep reading Rinella, he's a fantastic resource.
8. Go small game hunting a lot. It's fun, hard, good practice, and good eats. Plus most animals are fairly similar so you can practice big game field dressing techniques on a rabbit before you get your first deer.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Thanks for all the advice. I'm comfortable with the back country hiking part, but I've got a lot of learning to do when it comes to stalking, glassing, and field dressing an animal. Other than to continue studying and reading my next step is to select a hunting rifle and begin practice. I've put a lot of 223/5.56 on steel targets at 50 yards, but I have zero experience with a bolt gun at 100,300, or greater distances. I'm looking at a Tikka T3x chambered in 300 win mag, left hand version. From all the studying I've done it seemed to be the best "value" gun that can reasonably shoot sub moa out of the box. The thing that stinks for me is scouting land before I go hunting, its a 14 hour drive to the places I want to hunt. I guess I need to plan and scout different game closer to home to get some practice. Smaller game would really need a smaller gun though....

Dalko43

Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. I'm comfortable with the back country hiking part, but I've got a lot of learning to do when it comes to stalking, glassing, and field dressing an animal. Other than to continue studying and reading my next step is to select a hunting rifle and begin practice. I've put a lot of 223/5.56 on steel targets at 50 yards, but I have zero experience with a bolt gun at 100,300, or greater distances. I'm looking at a Tikka T3x chambered in 300 win mag, left hand version. From all the studying I've done it seemed to be the best "value" gun that can reasonably shoot sub moa out of the box. The thing that stinks for me is scouting land before I go hunting, its a 14 hour drive to the places I want to hunt. I guess I need to plan and scout different game closer to home to get some practice. Smaller game would really need a smaller gun though....

I'm not trying to pry into your personal life, but what area of the US are in and what game are you intending to hunt? The answer to those questions will play a huge role in what type of rifle and caliber you should be looking for.

Steve Rinella's big game book actually has a decent introduction to rifle and caliber selection, in case you haven't already read it. 300 Win Mag is a well-known and proven cartridge for big game, thought it's really only necessary for the bigger side of big game (Moose, Bear). It also has significant recoil, which if you're not comfortable with can cause you to jerk your shots. 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, .308 Win, 30-06, .270 are well known big game cartridges. Some of these may make more sense for your needs than others, again depending on where and what you want to hunt.

I also wouldn't fret too much about getting sub-MOA performance out of your hunting rifle. It's possible to get that kind of performance out of a hunting rifle, but it's not really necessary unless you are talking about extra long range hunting (600-700 yards and beyond). For most realistic shots, a rifle that is consistently shooting 1-2 MOA at 100 yards is more than sufficient. I would focus more on getting a decent rifle (Tika's, Savage Model 11's, Remington 700's are all good options) and getting a decent scope that can maintain a zero (I can vouch for Vortex's offerings, but there are others). Then practice and get to know the in's and out's of your setup.

Also your .223 rifle would be ideal for hunting mid-sized game (coyotes, fox) if you are looking to get some experience prior to the next big-game season starting up. That would give you an opportunity to not only get some experience with scouting and picking your spots, but also with field dressing and fur management (if that is something that interests you).

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I live in eastern Oklahoma. My interest is in hunting central to South western Colorado. Mainly because that's my favorite place to visit anyways. If I'm gonna hunt it might as well be a wilderness I enjoy spending time in. Kinda killing 2 birds with one stone type of deal.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
On the calibers ive gone back and forth between the 300 win mag and the 7mm. Elk are hard to drop even at close ranges from what I've been reading. I can handle the recoil from the minimal amount of shooting.... I think lol.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
For any sort of hunting in any sort of terrain, there are professional guides. Pony up for a couple of guided hunts and you also get personal tutoring from a pro.

Another nice thing about guides is they often have contacts with owners and have permission to hunt on someone's private property. That's often some of the best hunting, especially upland bird hunting, since the game doesn't see as many people and doesn't spook as easily.

Longrange308

Adventurer
My one suggestion would be to start small and work your way up.. Jumping in with both feet into an elk hunt can quickly result in feelings of discouragement. Elk are no easy game to go after. Steven Rinella even mentions in one of his podcasts that he would direct a new hunter to first go after small game like squirrels and cotton tails, then the next year to go after deer then once somewhat seasoned, to hunt elk.

If you are dead set on going after Elk next year, I would strongly suggest to go after deer before the Elk opener. You will learn a lot, especially if you are able to have someone who is experienced accompany you to show you the ropes. Gutting large game is a bit tricky the first couple of times if you dont have someone directing you on what to do, especially if you have to leave the sex organs attached.

Dalko43

Explorer
On the calibers ive gone back and forth between the 300 win mag and the 7mm. Elk are hard to drop even at close ranges from what I've been reading. I can handle the recoil from the minimal amount of shooting.... I think lol.

Well with that location and game in mind, that helps narrow down the cartridge selection. 300 Win Mag and 7mm are both well-suited for that type of game and location. But don't believe the hype that those are the only ones that will work. .308 will still work well for those type of conditions, as will some of the 6mm-based cartridges (the Scandinavians have been using 6mm hunting cartrides to take game as big as Moose for many years now). I bring this up because the recoil for both the 300 win mag and 7mm is a bit more pronounced than the average hunting caliber; and if you're not comfortable with shooting those cartridges for practice sessions, you won't be doing yourself any favors when it comes time to make a killing shot.

I'm not trying to start a caliber debate here, but I would definitely do some research and talk around to hunters and guides in your area and in Colorado. 300 Win Mag, while an effective cartridge, is certainly not required for elk hunting; other calibers will suffice for that kind of hunting, and there are plenty of guides and hunters who are living proof of that.

Since you are a fan of Rinella, you may have heard of Randy Newberg, who does shows and podcasts similar to Rinella. In some of his articles and youtube videos he talked about how his go-to elk caliber was (and I believe still is) .308, despite the perception by many armchair hunters that such a caliber is not sufficient for such uses. I'm not pushing any one caliber or cartridge, and ultimately personal preference will be the deciding factor for you. I'll just say that there is a lot of internet hype surrounding this topic, and it will take a lot of persistent and thorough research on your part to see through it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles