super singles, what size

trackadda

Observer
hi all and happy new year. i am almost ready to purchase a set of single wheels for my nps300 isuzu project and am looking for real world advice on whether the atw 19 inch super singles are the go or are any of the 17 inch rims with higher profile tyres worth a look. main use will be traveling australia with a 4.5 mtr boat on behind and probable loaded to close to the 6000 kg gvm. places like fraser island, cape york, the gulf ect. steels vrs alloys as well. thanks in advance, Gary

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
This is always a contentious question and one that comes up on this forum nearly as much as how to mount a camper onto the truck.

The ATW singles are legally rated for the max GVM of both the Fuso and Isuzu light trucks but the Toyo tyres that are usually used on them are a light truck tyre, which will give a sightly rougher ride and air down differently than a balloon style tyre (like the XZL).
The light truck tyres will give you better stability on the tarmac and probably longer life. The sidewalls on these tyres are also tougher, so they are more resistive to damage.

I have owned both the steel and alloy ATW singles. The steel rims are probably more resistant to damage but they are significantly heavier than the alloy rims (80kg compared to 65kg, when fitted with the Toyo M608 tyres). Some time back I made the decision to change to the alloy rims and have not regretted doing that. For me I find the alloys much easier to handle and there is no chance of them rusting if you go near the ocean. There is the possibility of the alloys getting sand blasted, but that is just aesthetics, which does not concern me.

I cannot speak for other types of singles or tyres, as I have not owned or used them. I will leave comments on those to others.
However... what I will say is that you should be mindful of the legality of the SRW rims/tyres that you get. If you are using a setup that is not legal then you may end up with issues if you are in an accident, as your insurance may not cover you.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I just swapped to a 16"Al wheel with a Toyo, from a 19.5 ATW and the Toyo M608z tires. I see better flotation, and a softer ride.

One of the reasons I initially went with the 19.5 was the better lifespan, but I'm not really seeing that. Add in the steel weight, no better lifespan, and a ride that's a bit rougher....

I'm hoping the 16's work well, and so far I haven't heard any huge issues with them, other than cost (the M608z tires aren't cheap either, so it's a wash).

But your laws are very different from what we can get away with over in the U.S., ski makes a good point.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
hi all and happy new year. i am almost ready to purchase a set of single wheels for my nps300 isuzu project and am looking for real world advice on whether the atw 19 inch super singles are the go or are any of the 17 inch rims with higher profile tyres worth a look. main use will be traveling australia with a 4.5 mtr boat on behind and probable loaded to close to the 6000 kg gvm. places like fraser island, cape york, the gulf ect. steels vrs alloys as well. thanks in advance, Gary

17 inch rims would be my preference. Fitted with either a Federal Couragia 37x12.5R17 129Q (1800Kg) or TRACKMASTER 37x12.5R17 131N (1950Kg). Both would fit a 6,000gvm truck. Both tyres would perform better in mud and sand than the Toyo r19.5

Regards
Steve

trackadda

Observer
i take it you are not happy with the 19.5 rim/tyre set up Steve, i would be keen on the 17 inch set up but i still can't find a rim and tyre that can be engineered approved for fitment to a 6000 gvm nps 300. i am not prepared to be not legal in any way that will wipe insurance ect in the event of a accident, do you no of a brand of rim the complies. the only ones found are the atw 19.5 sets

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
i take it you are not happy with the 19.5 rim/tyre set up Steve, i would be keen on the 17 inch set up but i still can't find a rim and tyre that can be engineered approved for fitment to a 6000 gvm nps 300. i am not prepared to be not legal in any way that will wipe insurance ect in the event of a accident, do you no of a brand of rim the complies. the only ones found are the atw 19.5 sets

I am also risk adverse, the tires I suggested to you are legal for 6t vehicle and can come with a compliance plate. The first tyre was a 129 and the second was 131. 129 is 1,800 x 2 = 3,600kg on rear axle. The 131 is 1,950 x 2 = 3,900kg. My Amesz 6t back axel weight when weighed was 3,500kg. http://www.trucksupersingles.com.au/tyres.html

The key you said was use on sand to me. The Toyo do not perform great in mud or sand, but they are tough. I have had two Amesz trucks in the desert and mud, and the Toyo tread filled with mud and became slippery or did not pillow out to handle very soft sand well. The key here very soft sand as well. The other truck although not legal, had kumos on it, it performs amazingly. The tires are relatively new to Australia beforementioned, but are excitingin and they finally challenge ATW monopoly on staying legal for 6tonners.
Regard
Steve

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Its less than 30mm from memory...

I had a closer look and I recon that it would be a lot more than 30mm.
The inset on my ATW alloys is about 25mm with a 23mm thick centre.
The rims you linked to look like they have about the same thickness centre with around a 50mm offset, so I am guessing there would have to be at least 200mm difference between the front and rear tracks (100mm per side).
It's hard to tell just from an image, but that's how I see it.

Ian n Karin

Mine is a 1992 FG4 SWB, 4D34 engine....so why not stay with 16' single rims as apposed to 17'? 85/R16 will have the clearance ...Cooper ST Maxx load rating of 123Q/ 1550 kgs....Oh to find a suitable rim!!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

skippythedog

Observer
Very happy with my steel 17"s.....Seems like some people have abandoned the 19.5" wheel because of rough ride and other disadvantages. The 16" alloy rims, though light, have had some issues that some purveyors of those wheels refuse to address on this forum. There is very little clearance to the front drum which can cause (has caused) problems with tape weights. My 17"s, though heavy, have many tire choices allowing full or near full payload. My mileage has decreased but top speed has increased.....
The ride over minor road imperfections has improved noticeably due to the absorption of the tires (37x12.50). I think some proven 17" alloy wheels would be the ticket if they ever became available. They might be, but I'm not aware of any currently.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Mine is a 1992 FG4 SWB, 4D34 engine....so why not stay with 16' single rims as apposed to 17'? 85/R16 will have the clearance ...Cooper ST Maxx load rating of 123Q/ 1550 kgs....Oh to find a suitable rim!!

While I use the Falken WildPeak A/T (325/80-16) on my '02 FG (they are just shy of 37" diameter and 13.25" wide) and love them, the 37-inch diameter for 16-inch rim tires are disappearing. Falken stopped listing that size about a year ago. So the 17-inch rims are a much safer bet for 37-inch tires. I think the 35-inch tires for 16-inch rims will always be around as that is a very popularly size. I've had no issues with 37s on 16s as far a wheel weights or clearances (the tires have to be straight ahead to tilt the cab). And the high sidewall combines with the soft sidewalls (I am weight limited due to the tires) has had a huge postive effect on the ride. And of course the RPM and related noise decrease is a huge plus also.

http://www.trucksupersingles.com.au

Contact Kym Bolton from Goanna Tracks in Brisbane for the very best 17" tubeless rims outside of the USA with TRACKMASTER 37x12.5R17 131N (1950Kg load rated) tyres.

I just ordered a set of 6. They look great, drive great and more importantly give me the safe payload I need.

20171123_141708_resized.jpg

http://www.trucksupersingles.com.au/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94