E350 Chinook Build

zelseman

Observer
Love this build. Any update on the suspension? Would you do it again?
We have a short bus that we are debating on lifting and we are having trouble justifying the cost.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Love this build. Any update on the suspension? Would you do it again?
We have a short bus that we are debating on lifting and we are having trouble justifying the cost.

Yes I would do the same lift again. The RV drive really well with this setup and we’ve definitely benefited from having the extra ground clearance.

Coachgeo

Explorer
if not done already.... add 4wd and a selectable front locker.... then..... sneak in a trailer axle (no suspension?) tucked at the rear most part of the chassis with small trailer tires on it tucked up off the ground... when you expect you will drag your ******** end.... offroad....... put in 4wd and put on front locker..... as your back end tips downward the extra axle's tires contact the ground. they may lift your rear drive tires completely off the ground (hince the front locker on) but you won't drag and wreck your chinook's ******** end either.

Like below but way up by rear bumper. Maybe could go inside chasis and up into that rear storage box?

news_f_small.jpg

geosmile

Hello willywalderbeast,
Just want to shout out a huge thanks for the inspiration! We just picked up our Chinook from Jeremy at Weldtec Designs a couple weeks ago - very much appreciated your posts detailing your build, the quality of the drive experience after install, and extensive interior mods. We couldn't be happier - drives so much better and quieter in the cabin- We are looking forward to an adventure next week in the Moab area. Here are before and after shots. Thanks again!
GeosmileIMG_3861.jpgIMG_3938.jpg

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Hello willywalderbeast,
Just want to shout out a huge thanks for the inspiration! We just picked up our Chinook from Jeremy at Weldtec Designs a couple weeks ago - very much appreciated your posts detailing your build, the quality of the drive experience after install, and extensive interior mods. We couldn't be happier - drives so much better and quieter in the cabin- We are looking forward to an adventure next week in the Moab area. Here are before and after shots. Thanks again!
Geosmile

Nice improvement, what size lift did you go for and did you stick with 2WD?

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Hello willywalderbeast,

Awesome man, looks good! Check out Potash Rd when in Moab, tons of free disbursed camping and a fun little trail that chinook can handle.

geosmile

Nice improvement, what size lift did you go for and did you stick with 2WD?
Thanks! We stuck with 2WD due to the longer backend of the Chinook defining what is possible to access more than perhaps having 4WD. The lift is 6" with Softride Skyjacker Springs in the front and a custom leaf in the rear with Fox shocks front/back - We ended up with newer that 2008 twin I-beams, which was nice, since we decided to add an anti-sway bar and the mounts were ready to go. Most of our trips are 80% highway and end on dirt roads for 10-30 miles accessing locations for camping and backcountry adventures.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Finally getting around to having the camper painted and have a few things I need to do before that can happen. Biggest project before paint is new windows! Although the large odd shaped window is nice because of the size, I always hated that it only opened roughly 12” on one side. So the plan is to remove the window, fiberglass in the huge hole it left and reinstall a couple ‘Artic Tern Windows’ from Tern Overland.

Trying to decided if I want to just have one 43” window in the dinette area and leave the kitchen area without a window for more wall space to have a shelve and area to hang knifes and cups. Or two windows, one 43” window and a 36” window in the kitchen. I’ll also be replacing the window in the bed area (side door model) with a 36” window.

Attached is a picture of the Artic Tern Windows from there site. Also a picture of my interior I started to rip apart last night to prep for the fiberglass work.

86scotty

Cynic
Paint? Did you say paint? Can't wait. What color are you going with?

I think the window mod is an awesome idea. I love Chinooks but the window design is looking pretty dated here almost 15 years after the end of production and I had no idea they didn't open any more than that. Pretty lousy.

I'd be willing to bet you can sell your original for a pretty penny since they are about impossible to find.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Paint? Did you say paint? Can't wait. What color are you going with?

I think the window mod is an awesome idea. I love Chinooks but the window design is looking pretty dated here almost 15 years after the end of production and I had no idea they didn't open any more than that. Pretty lousy.

I'd be willing to bet you can sell your original for a pretty penny since they are about impossible to find.

Yea man, I’m excited!

Think we’re going to go with a Brown. Still trying to decide on which exact brown atm, have a few options.

But something like this... 507827

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles