E350 Chinook Build

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
I'd like to know more about this swap if you have the time to do a little write up. I'm in SD near the beach, would love to take a look at this thing when you pick it up if there is time.

Your Welcome to stop by the shop anytime and take a look. It will be here a couple more weeks.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Not to dismiss the really awesome Chinook, but please tell me you have a build thread somewhere for your "other camper"!

That thing is awesome!

Haha I don't have a build thread for it, it's a 1959 Ford P400. I got a little over zealous and gutted the whole thing then started to remove the walls haha. I bought all the sheet metal to redo the sides but lost interest when the cold weather rolled around, then I bought the Chinook. New plan is to make it a food truck!!! Plan is to swap in a 12v Cummins but who knows at this point.

image.jpg

FjFairlady

Observer
That Chinook is coming along great. Perfect size for exploring and still having all the goodies of a C class.
I can't wait to see it finished.

Abitibi

Explorer
Looks awesome, what a difference! Since it's still a 2wd does it have a locker at the rear? I know I can get a lot out of my rear locker without engaging the 4x4... Enjoy!

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Once I get it home I will be installing a rear locker. That's what I ultimately decided, 2wd with a lift, locker, and a winch should get me almost everywhere I need!

Navi

Adventurer
My work truck has an E-Locker. Ive been playing with it instead if using 4x4 and it's been enough every time so far.

draaronr

Adventurer
Sweet ride For cool latches check for sail boats they have really slick knobs and latches that retract and are flush

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Sweet ride For cool latches check for sail boats they have really slick knobs and latches that retract and are flush

Thanks! Yea everything I seem to look up that is good quality is for boats. The vents I want are for boats as well but they are close to $400 a piece! Boat parts are expensive!

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Mandatory stop in Zion NP on our way back. Was cool to see in the fog and rain, so many waterfalls I've never seen before!
image.jpg
image.jpeg

Then leaving Bryce Canyon I got stopped for speeding downhill and the Park Ranger claimed he smelt weed on the outside of my vehicle. After waiting around for over an hour and after the K9 cleared the vehicle we were on our way. What a pain, although I didn't get the speeding ticket so that was good. The original officer felt bad he held us that long and didn't find anything. I guess two dudes in a lifted camper driving from San Diego to the east coast looks like a drug smuggling operation.
image.jpg

Ended the day at Horseshoe Bend!
image.jpg

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cool rig!
The weight over the rear end plus a locker will get you just about anywhere a rig that size will go.

You got profiled ha! You wern't speeding it was just his "in" to attempt to find drugs. Pretty sure its against your rights to hold you. My lawyer brother would have had them call in the boss, which would have resulted in have a nice day in under 10 minutes.

Happykamper

Explorer
The chinook looks great! I have a 2001 Chinook Destiny 24' . It's the same exact color scheme and had 23,500 miles when I bought it in Portland . Now 28k. I like the stance of your lift. Going to have the same company Abiti used down south do the lift and 4wd on it in late spring. Yours looks awesome, it's great to see it as now I can really visualize what it will look like. How is the ride now compared to your original drive back home with it?
That side door is super rare!!! Very nice build!!! Can't wait to see more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles