E350 Chinook Build

java

Expedition Leader
Looks awesome! Id do it off the house batteries personally. I like to keep starting batteries for starting only as much as possible.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Looks awesome how does it handle and drive?

It drives really well, much smoother the stock! I haven't put any miles on yet with the new tires, need to get an alignment.

Looks awesome! Id do it off the house batteries personally. I like to keep starting batteries for starting only as much as possible.

Yea that's what I'm thinking, then I'll just run the generator when using the air.

image.jpg

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Looks great with the tires! please send me pics of it, I would love to add pics to our site.

Bajarat^^^^^
If your not in a hurry to complete your front end conversion ( next month hopefully, its been a uphill journey) we are making a 2008-14 FIberglass flared fender, hood and grill to help all of you guys wanting to update your front clip.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Been slowly collecting parts to overhaul the roof! That includes two new 100 watt solar panel's, new Maxxfan, brackets to build a roof rack,etc. Finally got around to stripping everything off the roof and will be preparing for painting the roof before everything goes back on. Well maybe everything...

Fighting with the wife over putting back the AC unit or not. We rarely hookup and don't like running the generator so it's kind of pointless. Out of our three x-country trips last year and all our local trips with the chinook we used the AC once to cool down the dogs after a hot mid day hike. That is he main reason she wants to keep it, for the dogs haha. Honestly the main reason I want to get rid of it is for aesthetics. I hate how it looks atop the rig, also right down the center would be a way better spot to build the roof rack to hold the surf boards. If she wins I will most likely buy a new AC unit, one of the low profile ones.

Last thing I need to order are two marine deck hatches. One for the bathroom where the current vent fan is shot. The second one I'm going to cut a new hole in the roof 19 x 19 as access to the roof from inside and a nice skylight to let lots of natural light in. Think I'm going to go with Lewmar low profile deck hatch, a little pricey but not sure of a good alternative.

Picture of the roof all stripped!
image.jpg

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I like your project. I think it's very similar to mine... but mine is a chevy.

I've got a few questions for you:

Is the roof fiberglass? Is it a big fiberglass bubble? If so, how do you plan on installing the roof rack? Just drilling holes and putting sealer betwen the bracket and roof?

You're lucky because your roof is flat (or almost). My solution (in my thread) is super complicated! :smilies27 I'm still waiting on the quotes but I'm a little unsure if it's the best solution.

Fighting with the wife over putting back the AC unit or not. We rarely hookup and don't like running the generator so it's kind of pointless. Out of our three x-country trips last year and all our local trips with the chinook we used the AC once to cool down the dogs after a hot mid day hike. That is he main reason she wants to keep it, for the dogs haha. Honestly the main reason I want to get rid of it is for aesthetics. I hate how it looks atop the rig, also right down the center would be a way better spot to build the roof rack to hold the surf boards. If she wins I will most likely buy a new AC unit, one of the low profile ones.

Ha ha! Yeah, we're putting a super duper deluxe MaxxFan for the dog too!

Last thing I need to order are two marine deck hatches. One for the bathroom where the current vent fan is shot. The second one I'm going to cut a new hole in the roof 19 x 19 as access to the roof from inside and a nice skylight to let lots of natural light in. Think I'm going to go with Lewmar low profile deck hatch, a little pricey but not sure of a good alternative.

If you don't mind, please post where you ended up buying the items.

One last question. How much rattle do you get riding down the road? I keep hearing how Chinook is the best (and I'm sure it is) but I'm curious to how much rattle you hear.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
I like your project. I think it's very similar to mine... but mine is a chevy.

I've got a few questions for you:

Is the roof fiberglass? Is it a big fiberglass bubble? If so, how do you plan on installing the roof rack? Just drilling holes and putting sealer betwen the bracket and roof?

You're lucky because your roof is flat (or almost). My solution (in my thread) is super complicated! :smilies27 I'm still waiting on the quotes but I'm a little unsure if it's the best solution.
Ha ha! Yeah, we're putting a super duper deluxe MaxxFan for the dog too!
If you don't mind, please post where you ended up buying the items.

One last question. How much rattle do you get riding down the road? I keep hearing how Chinook is the best (and I'm sure it is) but I'm curious to how much rattle you hear.

Yes it's fiberglass. As for the roof rack I'm just using pipe rail fittings with 3m 5200 sealant and stainless screws into the roof like this. (Pictures of another Chinookers setup)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I would assume you could do the same thing and just adjust the hight on both ends to accommodate the bow in the roof. Cheap, simple, and efficient.

As for the chinook rattling, the rv itself doesn't rattle much at all but all glassware my wife insists on having in the rig rattles like crazy haha. Have to still figure out the best way to store everything.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Quick update... Need to get everything back on the roof with the long weekend coming up and my eye on a couple motorcycles 6hrs away haha! Maxxfan is in, holes for the ****ty awning install are all epoxied up, and tv antenna ready to be installed. Waiting to caulk everything at once since a tube of 3M 4200 is $25 and will go back in 24hr once the seal is opened. Plus it's less then ideal temp and conditions atm.

Next up is the very scary part of cutting a brand new 19x19 hole in the perfectly good roof!!! I have been putting it off but need to just have at it. Hopefully have it all squared away by tonight.

First picture is me figuring out on top my measurements. Using the trim ring to get close. Second picture is where the skylight/hatch will be on the inside, going to have to relocate the smoke and the one light over. Last is the picture of the two Bomar marine deck hatches I purchased. The other one was supposed to go in the bathroom to replace the junky hatch there but I'm not positive if that's still going to happen.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 156

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94