E350 Chinook Build

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Coach, are you saying 10mpg will be an improvement after gears/tires? I haven’t measured my Chinooks MPG yet. Was hoping it broke double digits stock...

When my Chinook was stock I got 13mpg on the trip home from WA to CT. That was with driving 80mph on the highways.

eporter

Adventurer
Wow. That’s pretty good MPG for that speed.

The v10 drives nice. I’m enjoying it over the 7.3 in my old ambo since it’s quieter and less stinky. Not towing anything so that’s not a concern.

eporter

Adventurer
Curious how that hatch is working out? I'm looking to replace the temporary cover on my Chinook where the AC was. I'm leaning towards the cheaper, less functional square of clear acrylic up there. Those hatches look real nice though.

My back ladder is broken, and I'm considering just fully removing it and carrying a portable/collapsible ladder. OR using a roof hatch for roof access. Is it easy for you to get through the 19" hatch? I'm not sure how much it opens?

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Curious how that hatch is working out? I'm looking to replace the temporary cover on my Chinook where the AC was. I'm leaning towards the cheaper, less functional square of clear acrylic up there. Those hatches look real nice though.

My back ladder is broken, and I'm considering just fully removing it and carrying a portable/collapsible ladder. OR using a roof hatch for roof access. Is it easy for you to get through the 19" hatch? I'm not sure how much it opens?

I love it. It opens completely if you want, access to the roof thru the hatch is easy for me (5’10” 180lbs)

eporter

Adventurer
So this seems to be what you have, 19.75" square cutout, smoked acrylic hatch? ~315 cheapest I could find.
Bomar 995: OD 22 1/16" x 22 1/16", cut out 19 3/4" x 19 3/4", flange 21 7/8" x 21 7/8". Includes trim ring and screen.
1536695288003.png

eporter

Adventurer
Cool. Wasn't sure which cutout to go with. Looks like the whole top roof is 1.25" Divinycell foam, so easy to cut regardless. Did you shift the added opening forwards or backwards?

Now that I've been looking at boat hatches I want to replace all the rv access hatches with boat hatches...

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Cool. Wasn't sure which cutout to go with. Looks like the whole top roof is 1.25" Divinycell foam, so easy to cut regardless. Did you shift the added opening forwards or backwards?

Now that I've been looking at boat hatches I want to replace all the rv access hatches with boat hatches...

I cut mine in a totally new location to the rear of the AC. So I have an AC, fan, and this hatch!

Boating equipment is built so much better then RV stuff. If you can afford it always go with boat equipment for your RV when possible.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Do you have the MorRyde system on your Chinook and were you able to keep it with the new leaf spring pack?

eporter

Adventurer
Wow, I just scored a free 22” square Lewmar aluminum and smoked acrylic deck hatch off Craigslist! It’s from the 90s but in good shape. Just needs some new bedding tape and gaskets. Thanks for the inspiration!

Attachments

• hatch capture.JPG
    hatch capture.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior