E350 Chinook Build

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Nice KTM! I like the white/black color scheme. Got any van parts you're looking to get rid of, seats or anything like that?

Thanks, it had all 90s purple accents when I bought her haha. Stripped her down, flipped and chopped the front fender, and recovered the seat with material I had laying around and boom, nice looking bike now haha. I like it over the DR because it's kick only and I don't have to worry about the battery always dying, which happens on my DR (E-start only) all the time.

I have a swivel base for a passenger seat. I also have the stock chinook seats that are super comfortable for long hauls, but they are ugly haha. I also have another Bomar yacht hatch if your feeling crazy and want to cut into you roof!

Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer
on the Chinook how long is it from the back of the drivers seat to the back wall?

Is your bed a Full or Queen?

Thanks

lazybummm

Quick question about the front clip conversion, did you have to get new hinges for the hood? I read some conflicting information whether new hinges are required. Also, for the radiator support bar any idea what the part number is? I can't seem to find it on ebay anywhere.

Mxkutch

Observer
You do not need new hinges, only a new hood latch or to modify it, also not sure on the part number because I got my front clip together from a doner

Mako1114

Adventurer
I read through your entire build thread and it seems like an excellent rig you have acquired and modified. Does not having 4WD limit the seasons that you can use it in the northeast? I would think a 2WD camper van would be pretty difficult to safely control in snowy/ wintry conditions?

Cheers

Jo_Duval

Observer
I read through your entire build thread and it seems like an excellent rig you have acquired and modified. Does not having 4WD limit the seasons that you can use it in the northeast? I would think a 2WD camper van would be pretty difficult to safely control in snowy/ wintry conditions?

Cheers

Personnally I daily drive our van in Ottawa Canada, I have driven it in many snow and ice storms without an issue. unplowed streets with 12'' of snow is actually easier to drive in than on icy roads. Our van weighs 6900 pounds with goodyear duratracs (not the wranglers) and I have never been stuck.

eporter

Adventurer
Willy, nice rig. Any updates? Did you ever install the locker? Does your Chinook have the E2 code on the driver's tag? 4.10 rear axle w/ limited slip. Wondering if that helps over the expense of a locker.

willywalderbeast

Master of None

Cheers

Not really, the camper handles awesome in the snow actually, probably because it weighs 10,200 lbs. I skied a couple weekends in Vermont this season and just slept in random parking lots and whatnot. Got caught in one snowstorm and it handled just fine.

Willy, nice rig. Any updates? Did you ever install the locker? Does your Chinook have the E2 code on the driver's tag? 4.10 rear axle w/ limited slip. Wondering if that helps over the expense of a locker.

Not too much, have a couple projects I need to get finished in the next week or so for my up coming beach camping trip in Cape Cod. I never got around to installing the locker. Yes it does have the full floating rear with 4.10s and limited slip diff. I took her on some mild trails while in Moab December/January and she did really well.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
I’ve been searching a while now for a clean Dodge Raider to flat tow behind the camper for certain trips. The other day one poped up 10hrs away so I dropped everything and headed south to grab it.

My new dinghy...

92C9792C-89E7-4FD9-97A2-3361ADC7A3FC.jpeg

On the drive home I ordered a OME lift for the truck as well as a set of 235/85 ATs that should be here this week. Also found a nice set of steel Chevy Rally wheels locally on CL that I’m going to grab today. Super excited about this little guy haha.

Last edited:

eporter

Adventurer
That'll look good behind the Chinook, but this one w/ 48k might look better...
https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/d/classic-1987-dodge-raider/6577150454.html
bf88d075bf9efb4eb9b4e58f75be6ee5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles